Can not set com.sun.jna.platform.win32.WinDef$SHORT field com.sun.jna.platform.win32.Variant$VARIANT$_VARIANT$__VARIANT.iVal to java.lang.Short

Markus Karg

May 20, 2014, 8:55:28 AM5/20/14
to jna-...@googlegroups.com
I have run TlbImp against a .tlb file to create a Java wrapper for a COM component registered on my PC. The wrapper produced the following signature:

    public int InitServer(short npruefplatz, int hwnd, BSTR strdatabasesource);

But when I provide a short, it says it cannot set it into a VARIANT...?!

    public static void main(String[] a) {
        ServerDispatch dsp = new ServerDispatch(); // This is the wrapper created by TlbImp
        WND hWnd = User32Util.createWindow("Message", null, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, HWND_MESSAGE, null, null, null);
        long h = Pointer.nativeValue(hWnd.getPointer());
        dsp.InitServer((short) 1, (int) h, new BSTR("XYZ"));
    }

    Can not set com.sun.jna.platform.win32.WinDef$SHORT field com.sun.jna.platform.win32.Variant$VARIANT$_VARIANT$__VARIANT.iVal to java.lang.Short

What is my fault? Or is this simply a bug in JNA?

Thanks!
-Markus

wolf....@gmx.net

May 20, 2014, 11:11:26 AM5/20/14
to jna-...@googlegroups.com
The TlbImp tool here in JNA is not that perfect implementation as you may be usual using with other languages like .NET. But please keep in mind that here I`m the only developer with limited knowlege about COM and resources are only available what I found on the Internet. Microsoft has more experience with their own technologie ;-).

Therefore it is needed for a JNA COM developer to step a bit deeper into the COM topic as you maybe expected to do. Please check the source code what is possible and how it is currently developed. I triy to support you with my full knowledege.

Please try with your sample above to use a com.sun.jna.platform.win32.WinDef.SHORT;

Markus Karg

May 20, 2014, 11:34:09 AM5/20/14
to jna-...@googlegroups.com

Tobi,

thank you for picking this up. I didn’t wanted to post critics, I just wanted to ask for help. J

I am not sure what you mean with I have to usw WinDef.SHORT: Where to put that? You mean replace the short parameter by SHORT instance?

Regards

Markus

wolf....@gmx.net

May 21, 2014, 3:18:30 AM5/21/14
to jna-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Markus,

it`s not about critics, they are always welcome. I just wanted to point out what the current development status is. No problem at all :-).

Yes just use as parameter that SHORT class as instance. It should be possible to use new SHORT(1) for example. Can you try this.

wolf....@gmx.net

May 21, 2014, 4:09:04 AM5/21/14
to jna-...@googlegroups.com
I`m not sure if that line is necessary. I don`t know your COM interface, but maybe the hwnd can be given into it directly.

 long h = Pointer.nativeValue(hWnd.getPointer());

Markus Karg

May 23, 2014, 7:39:45 AM5/23/14
to jna-...@googlegroups.com

The COM interface says that it wants and int for that parameter.

wolf....@gmx.net

May 23, 2014, 7:47:08 AM5/23/14
to jna-...@googlegroups.com
ok, if the code generation is wrong you need to change it manually. Should be no problem at all.

Markus Karg

May 26, 2014, 8:40:23 AM5/26/14
to jna-...@googlegroups.com
Tried it but it does not work. The problem is: When using all the right parameter types (hence, not using the TlbImp tool as it chooses the wrong ones) then after the invocation I get "Wrong variable type" as a result from COM. It seems there is something really going bad with parameter types in JNA COM, but I still cannot figure out what. Begging for your help, as you know much better what you coded in JNA COM than me. :-)

Tobias Wolf

May 26, 2014, 11:17:43 AM5/26/14
to jna-...@googlegroups.com
I`m willing to help you over this request, but I need a code sample to better understand what your problem is. Maybe it`s just a matter of understand and you can explain it in detail what the issue is.

Gesendet: Montag, 26. Mai 2014 um 14:40 Uhr
Von: "Markus Karg" <ka...@quipsy.de>
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Java Native Access" group.

Markus Karg

May 27, 2014, 2:43:48 AM5/27/14
to jna-...@googlegroups.com
Tobi,

thank you so much for your kind help. So here is some more code. :-)

This code is invoking the COM server:

public class ComDemo {
    public static void main(String[] a) {
        ServerDispatch dsp = new ServerDispatch(); // This is the wrapper created by TlbImp
        HWND hWnd = User32Util.createWindow("Message", null, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, HWND_MESSAGE, null, null, null);
        long h = Pointer.nativeValue(hWnd.getPointer());
        dsp.InitServer((short) 1, (int) h, new BSTR("XYZ"));
    }
}

This is the COM server's tlb for that method:

[id(0x00000001)]
long InitServer(
                [in] short nPruefplatz,
                [in] long hWnd,
                [in] BSTR strDatabaseSource);

This is the COM server's implementation:

@Override
public long InitServer(short npruefplatz, long hwnd, BSTR strdatabasesource) {
    VARIANT.ByReference pResult = new VARIANT.ByReference();
    this.oleMethod(OleAuto.DISPATCH_METHOD, pResult, this.getIDispatch(), new DISPID(1), new VARIANT[] { new VARIANT(new WinDef.SHORT(npruefplatz)), new VARIANT(new WinDef.LONG(hwnd)), new VARIANT(strdatabasesource) });
    return ((long) pResult.getValue());
}

In deviation of the code generation tool, I have corrected the parameter types manually so these are now matching the ones of JACOB. The error messages reported by me in the previous posts do not occur anymore, but now there is a new error message which says:

Exception in thread "main" com.sun.jna.platform.win32.COM.COMException: Falscher Variablentyp. (puArgErr=0)
at com.sun.jna.platform.win32.COM.COMUtils.checkRC(COMUtils.java:116)
at com.sun.jna.platform.win32.COM.COMBindingBaseObject.oleMethod(COMBindingBaseObject.java:267)
at myPackage.mws.ServerDispatch.InitServer(ServerDispatch.java:36)
at myPackage.mws.ComDemo.main(ComDemo.java:15)

Apparently there is now something wrong "inside" JNA COM, because I do not see anything I could adjust anymore "outside" (i. e. in my own code). The failing row is:

COMUtils.checkRC(hr, pExcepInfo, puArgErr);

...which looks like JNA COM sent the invocation to the COM layer which in turn produced the error message.

The question is: What more do you like to test / post here? I could even offer TeamViewer access to the development VM if you like...

Thanks!
-Markus
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to jna-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

wolf....@gmx.net

May 27, 2014, 5:13:51 AM5/27/14
to jna-...@googlegroups.com
Could you pls try the following code. Just catch the COM Exception and take a look into the Exception object. There is a value indicating which parameter is wrong.

        } catch (COMException e) {
            if (e.getExcepInfo() != null) {
                System.out
                        .println("bstrSource: " + e.getExcepInfo().bstrSource);
                System.out.println("bstrDescription: "
                        + e.getExcepInfo().bstrDescription);
            }

Markus Karg

May 27, 2014, 6:16:52 AM5/27/14
to jna-...@googlegroups.com
Here is the result

message: Falscher Variablentyp. (puArgErr=0)
bstrSource: null
bstrDescription: null

of this code

try {
    dsp.InitServer(1, h, new BSTR("XYZ"));
} catch (COMException e) {
    if (e.getExcepInfo() != null) {
        System.out.println("message: " + e.getMessage());
        System.out.println("bstrSource: " + e.getExcepInfo().bstrSource);
        System.out.println("bstrDescription: " + e.getExcepInfo().bstrDescription);
    }
}

-Markus

Markus Karg

May 27, 2014, 8:15:50 AM5/27/14

wolf....@gmx.net

May 28, 2014, 11:21:24 AM5/28/14
to jna-...@googlegroups.com
I`ve written a small COM server for testing. The good message is that the jna code is working. The parameters are passed correctly. But you should make sure that usually COM uses HRESULT as return type and therefore you mark void as the java return type. Return values are given to COM as in parameters. That can be handed by jna with reference types.

    public void InitServer(short npruefplatz, int hwnd,
            BSTR strdatabasesource) {
        VARIANT.ByReference pResult = new VARIANT.ByReference();
        this.oleMethod(OleAuto.DISPATCH_METHOD, pResult, getIDispatch(),
                new DISPID(4), new VARIANT[] {
                        new VARIANT(new WinDef.SHORT(npruefplatz)),
                        new VARIANT(new WinDef.LONG(hwnd)),
                        new VARIANT(strdatabasesource) });
    }

STDMETHODIMP CSimpleObject::InitServer(short nPruefplatz, long hWnd, BSTR strDatabaseSource)
{
wchar_t msg[255];
wchar_t* _strDatabaseSource = strDatabaseSource;

swprintf_s(msg, L"The following parameters has been arrived at COM layer:\n nPruefplatz=%i, hWnd=%i, strDatabaseSource=%s", nPruefplatz, hWnd, _strDatabaseSource);
MessageBox(NULL, msg,  _T("JNA COM Test"), MB_OK);

return S_OK;
}

Markus Karg

May 29, 2014, 3:05:08 AM5/29/14
to jna-...@googlegroups.com

Tobias,

if I understand correctly this means that the COM Server must be changed. This is forbidden, as that interface must stay unchange for backwards compatibility with lots of other existing software.

Regards

Markus

wolf.tobias

May 29, 2014, 8:22:18 AM5/29/14
to jna-...@googlegroups.com
No. What i want to pointing out is that your long return type is wrong. Or should be void or hresult, because in com world hresult is being used for status codes and custom return values are flagged as out parameters.
But that is not solving your issue.
For that i can send you my com test project ob Monday. Now I'm in Italy for relaxing over the public holiday in Bavaria ;-).
By the way I'm using windows 7 64 bit, 64 jvm and com Server. What are you using?

Von Samsung Mobile gesendet

Von: Markus Karg
Datum:29.05.2014 09:05 (GMT+01:00)
An: jna-...@googlegroups.com
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Java Native Access" group.

Markus Karg

May 30, 2014, 8:11:43 AM5/30/14
to jna-...@googlegroups.com

Tobi,

have a relaxed time in italy! :-)

The VM we did the TeamViewer debugging session within is powered by VMware on a 64 Bit host. It runs 64 Bit Windows 7 Pro. Eclipse is Kepler on Java 8 (64 Bit). The COM Server is 32 Bit.

CU on Monday

-Markus

Markus Karg

Jun 4, 2014, 2:40:00 AM6/4/14
to jna-...@googlegroups.com
Don't want to bother, but can you please send me your COM-Server binary so I can try to repeat your tests in my VM? :-)

Tobias Wolf

Jun 4, 2014, 3:02:11 AM6/4/14
to jna-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Markus,

I send you my COM Server as attachment. Don`t forget to register the COM server with:

regsvr32 JNA_COM.dll

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 04. Juni 2014 um 08:40 Uhr

Von: "Markus Karg" <ka...@quipsy.de>
An: jna-...@googlegroups.com
Don't want to bother, but can you please send me your COM-Server binary so I can try to repeat your tests in my VM? :-)

--
ATLDllCOMServer.tlb
TlbImpTest.zip

Markus Karg

Jun 5, 2014, 2:19:37 AM6/5/14
to jna-...@googlegroups.com

I cannot compile SimpleObject.java as it invokes a constructor of COMEarlyBindingObject which is not existing in JNA 4.1.0. Maybe you are using a non-published branch of JNA allowing to pass a String instead of a CSID?

Tobias Wolf

Jun 5, 2014, 3:10:12 AM6/5/14
to jna-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Markus,

yes I`ve added a new constructor for using a progID. Just change that back to the CLSID. its is more or less the same.

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 05. Juni 2014 um 08:19 Uhr
Von: "Markus Karg" <ka...@quipsy.de>
An: "jna-...@googlegroups.com" <jna-...@googlegroups.com>

wolf....@gmx.net

Jun 5, 2014, 3:40:37 AM6/5/14
to jna-...@googlegroups.com
just replace the ctx with that code below

    public static final CLSID SIMPLEOBJECT_CLSID = new CLSID("{92FCF37F-F6C7-4F8A-AA09-1A14BA118084}");

    public SimpleObject() {
        super(SIMPLEOBJECT_CLSID, false, WTypes.CLSCTX_SERVER);
    }

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 05. Juni 2014 um 08:19 Uhr
Von: "Markus Karg" <ka...@quipsy.de>

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 04. Juni 2014 um 08:40 Uhr
Von: "Markus Karg" <
ka...@quipsy.de>
An:
jna-...@googlegroups.com

Don't want to bother, but can you please send me your COM-Server binary so I can try to repeat your tests in my VM? :-)

Markus Karg

Jun 5, 2014, 3:46:37 AM6/5/14
to jna-...@googlegroups.com

Done. Here is the result:

Exception in thread "main" com.sun.jna.platform.win32.COM.COMException: Typkonflikt. (puArgErr=1)

       at com.sun.jna.platform.win32.COM.COMUtils.checkRC(COMUtils.java:116)

       at com.sun.jna.platform.win32.COM.COMBindingBaseObject.oleMethod(COMBindingBaseObject.java:267)

       at myPackage.atldllcomserverlib.SimpleObject.InitServer(SimpleObject.java:63)

       at myPackage.atldllcomserverlib.SimpleObject.main(SimpleObject.java:77)

ProcessorArchitecture: win64

COM is running 32bit.

Looks rather similar that with my own COM-Server, so I suspect there is some difference within COM between your Win7 and mine.

Regards

-Markus

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 05. Juni 2014 um 08:19 Uhr
Von: "Markus Karg" <ka...@quipsy.de>
An: "jna-...@googlegroups.com" <jna-...@googlegroups.com>

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 04. Juni 2014 um 08:40 Uhr
Von: "Markus Karg" <ka...@quipsy.de>
An: jna-...@googlegroups.com

Don't want to bother, but can you please send me your COM-Server binary so I can try to repeat your tests in my VM? :-)

Tobias Wolf

Jun 5, 2014, 7:00:52 AM6/5/14
to jna-...@googlegroups.com
the best way would be to debug the native code to see what`s going wrong

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 05. Juni 2014 um 09:46 Uhr

Markus Karg

Jun 5, 2014, 7:39:56 AM6/5/14
to jna-...@googlegroups.com

What „native Code“ do you mean?

Tobias Wolf

Jun 6, 2014, 5:29:48 AM6/6/14
to jna-...@googlegroups.com
I think the best way would be to have a MS Visual Studio v12 on your system to debug the sample com server I sent to you to check what is going wrong.

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 05. Juni 2014 um 13:39 Uhr

Markus Karg

Jun 6, 2014, 5:32:22 AM6/6/14
to jna-...@googlegroups.com

Hell… Do you think this is really necessary? I mean, I really would love to help to improve JNA COM and get all that running, but I actually am not so deep in C++ / COM that I think I can debug anything or even see a bug if its right on my screen. ;-)

Maybe it is best if we team up, so you can debug on my VM by TeamViewer?

Tobias Wolf

Jun 10, 2014, 5:10:39 AM6/10/14
to jna-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Markus,

shall do we a debug with teamviewer session today afternoon?

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 05. Juni 2014 um 13:39 Uhr

Markus Karg

Jun 10, 2014, 5:11:34 AM6/10/14
to jna-...@googlegroups.com

If you like we can do that, but I do not own that Microsoft software you talked about.