Servers Performance Monitoring

Iain

May 23, 2011, 12:00:56 PM5/23/11
to jmeter-plugins
Hi guys,

firstly, great set of plugins which are a huge improvement over the
stock ones. I'm trying to add a ServerPerformance listener to my test
plan but I'm having some difficulty getting it to work in distributed
mode.

My setup is one jmeter (version 2.3.3) master running on Debian
(lenny) with the latest stable Jmeter Plugins (version 0.4.1) and
relatively recent jre (1.6.0-18) controlling eight jmeter servers
(same versions of jmeter, plugins and java).

This is what I've tried:

I add a Servers Performance Monitoring listener to the plan on the
master in GUI mode.

I start the ServerAgent script on the web-server I'm testing and also
add the IP and port number to the 'Servers to Monitor' table on the
master.

I start on of the jmeter-servers by typing "jmeter-server -Jjppmfile=/
usr/share/jmeter/SMonitor.jppm". I can see in the jmeter-server.log
that "jmeter.JMeter: Setting JMeter property: jppmfile=/usr/share/
jmeter/SMonitor.jppm".

If I choose Run -> Start, ie just run the test plan on the master,
then it all runs OK and the CPU loadline is displayed on the graph.

If I choose Run -> IP_OF_SLAVE, then nothing happens on the slave,
where normally it would read "Starting the test on host ... @ Mon May
23 10:45:19 GMT+00:00 2011 (1306147519936)". Also, in the terminal
from which I started jmeter on the master, I get:

Using remote object: UnicastRef [liveRef: [endpoint:[IP_OF_SLAVE:53826]
(remote),objID:[-74e41bb1:1301d70d75a:-7fff, 1642383002467570873]]]
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
at
javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicScrollPaneUI.paint(BasicScrollPaneUI.java:
90)
at javax.swing.plaf.ComponentUI.update(ComponentUI.java:143)
at javax.swing.JComponent.paintComponent(JComponent.java:752)
at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(JComponent.java:1029)
at javax.swing.JComponent.paintToOffscreen(JComponent.java:5124)
at javax.swing.RepaintManager
$PaintManager.paintDoubleBuffered(RepaintManager.java:1479)
at javax.swing.RepaintManager$PaintManager.paint(RepaintManager.java:
1410)
at
javax.swing.BufferStrategyPaintManager.paint(BufferStrategyPaintManager.java:
294)
at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paint(RepaintManager.java:1224)
at javax.swing.JComponent._paintImmediately(JComponent.java:5072)
at javax.swing.JComponent.paintImmediately(JComponent.java:4882)
at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions(RepaintManager.java:
785)
at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions(RepaintManager.java:
713)
at
javax.swing.RepaintManager.seqPaintDirtyRegions(RepaintManager.java:
693)
at javax.swing.SystemEventQueueUtilities
$ComponentWorkRequest.run(SystemEventQueueUtilities.java:125)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:
269)
at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:
184)
at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:
174)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:
169)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:
161)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)

I have so far assumed that I have to leave the listener in the test
plan even if I'm not expecting the slave to post the results back to
the master. Any idea what may be at fault?

Thanks in advance

Iain

Andrey Pohilko

May 23, 2011, 12:19:04 PM5/23/11
to jmeter-...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

Well, stacktrace shows, that the problem is not in plugins code. Could you try to remove Perfmon plugin from test plan and run distributed test.

Furthermore, Perfmon will be changed in next release, transformed into PerfMon metrics collector. You may try it from 0.4.2 snapshot. It performs better in distributed mode.

Iain

May 23, 2011, 12:41:34 PM5/23/11
to jmeter-plugins
Thanks for the quick reply,

leaving the test plan the same but disabling the listener (right click
-> Disable) lets the test work fine in distributed mode. Just the act
of enabling the listener seems to cause the problem.

I should have mentioned the GUI gets really buggy once it throws the
errors. The jmeter window goes blank or only a few buttons are
visible. It doesn't seem to crash completely but it becomes unusable
and I have to restart jmeter. I'm using gnome and the jmeter package
is from "deb http://www.backports.org/debian".