Discussion Post #3

Jon Karschnik

Sep 28, 2011, 7:30:59 PM9/28/11
to English 4
"Grendel" is a really great way to examine Beowulf from a different
point of view and to see how that gives an insight into the human
condition. The monster's perspective reveals that humans use of
language to create their history in the image they wish...and it
therefore shines a light on Beowulf that reveals how we use that epic
poem to define our own values.

This is just one way in which Gardner's use of the "Beowulf" text
allows a different perspective to reveal certain truths. I would like
you to choose your own text or story and imagine it retold from an
alternative point of view. Discuss how your alternate P.O.V. would
reveal other truths than those intended by the original author.
Respond in approximately but not more than 250 words.

Olivia Robertson

Oct 4, 2011, 7:00:47 PM10/4/11
to English 4
I think an interesting point of view would be E.T's point of view in
the movie, E.T the Extra Terrestrial. He is an alien from another
world who at first, could not communicate with anyone on earth. He
babbled "E.T Phone Home", and that was about the only thing he could
say in english. If we took his perspective we could understand how he
was feeling when he first arrived to earth. We would also learn about
his curious and sweet personality if we understood what he was
thinking. His perspective would reveal other struggles, as an alien,
that we didn't think about. Not only communication, but the physical
differences that earth presents that his planet wouldn't. Some
examples like weather, gravity, seasons, and the over all way of life
of humans. In the story, E.T has a desirre to go home and communicate
with his family. I think this desire is belittled by the author, when
if we took the point of view of E.T, we would notice that he wants
more than anything to go home. "E.T Phone Home."

Samantha Geiger

Oct 4, 2011, 7:33:27 PM10/4/11
to English 4
In the novel, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, by Ken Kesey, the story
is told directly from Chief Bromden's point of view. He is a patient
in a mental institute pretending to be deaf and dumb. The harsh,
manipulative Nurse Ratched runs the hospital ward, and all the
patients fear her, until she is challenged by the newest patient,
Randle McMurphy. In the book, the reader views Nurse Ratched as the
antagonist and McMurphy as the protagonist. If the story was told from
Nurse Ratched's point of view she would most likely be seen as the
protagonist, trying to help the men. It would justify her strict ways
of dealing with the men because Nurse Ratched would explain her
reasoning. When McMurphy is admitted to the ward, and challenges Nurse
Ratched’s control we would see how angry it really makes her, driving
her to defeat him. She purposely angers McMurphy so that she can have
a reason to give him a lobotomy. When told from Nurse Ratched’s
perspective, the novel still involves the idea of conformity. However,
instead of seeing the patients trying to work against and complain
about authority, the reason for the authority and its importance would
be focused on. Nurse Ratched’s actions would make more sense to the
reader, and she may not be seen as the villain anymore.

David Canning

Oct 4, 2011, 7:36:53 PM10/4/11
to English 4
The comic book series V for Vendetta is about an anarchist, "V", who
wants to reduce the fascist UK government to rubble. In doing so, he
plots multiple demolition schemes and raises an army of followers. The
UK is controlled by a group named the Norsefire, which is secretly
policed by a group named the Finger. V wants to destroy the Norsefire
because they brought order to the UK at the cost of killing innocent
people and running experiments on people at concentration camps.
From the view of the public, V looks like a madman. The Norsefire uses
propaganda and organization to appear to be civil and just. This view
from the public gives insight on how large factions can easily
manipulate people by having a large, public following. V was in a
concentration camp and knows the truth behind the Norsefire, where as
the public are born and raised, accepting what they are fed throughout
their lives. Having the story told from the public's P.O.V. also shows
that change in something widely believed is often perceived as erratic
or nonsensical.

TaylorGrace O'Quinn

Oct 4, 2011, 7:52:21 PM10/4/11
to English 4
In the series, Harry Potter, Lord Voldemort is portrayed as the
antagonist;out to fill the world with evil. However, he was a child
once, and was scared and vulnerable. Experiences and our peers
influence who we think we want to be. I believe that if we took a look
at life through Voldemort's eyes, we'd see that maybe he's just hurt,
jealous, and doing all the wrong things to get attention. This series
of novels is told from Harry's point of view, and he's portrayed as a
struggling hero. On the other hand,we don't have much insight into
Voldemort's life, but we do see slight glimpses. But this can't
uncover the deep thoughts and reasoning inside Voldemort's mind, all
the glimpses merely do is slightly explain how Voldemort became the
evil monstrosity that J.K. Rowling depicted him as. I think that if
there was novel told from Voldemort's point of view, that we would be
able to sympathize with his reasoning as we have while reading
Grendel.

Jon Karschnik

Oct 4, 2011, 8:17:37 PM10/4/11
to English 4
Awesome idea! I would never have thought of that. I love that book
and that would really give an interesting insight into what she saw as
appropriate and therefore what the mainstream that Kesey was so much
an outsider to felt was "right".
> > Respond in approximately but not more than 250 words.- Hide quoted text -

Evie Kirschke-Schwartz

Oct 4, 2011, 8:58:23 PM10/4/11
to English 4
The most famous book of all the time, the Bible, is a combination of
many stories told from many of Jesus' closest friends. However, I
think it would be fascinating to hear all the stories from Jesus'
perspective. I'm sure if Jesus had written the Bible there would be
many claims saying he embellished stories and made it all up. If we
could hear the stories from his point of view, we would learn the
everything from the difficulties in sacrificing himself for sinners to
the how he knew all along what would happen to him. We tend to think
of Jesus has a flawless human being, so maybe incite into his head
would prove that he is more moral than we could imagine. For all we
know, he could have had a quirky sense of humor, fought with his dad
often, or secretly dreamed of having a confident. Also, there are a
lot of gaps in the Bible concerning Jesus growing up. If we were to
hear the stories from his point of view, maybe there would be a lot
less questions concerning religion.

Mercedes Barr

Oct 4, 2011, 9:12:42 PM10/4/11
to English 4
In the novel, The Scarlet Letter, I always thought it would be
interesting to read the story from Pearl's perspective. Pearl is this
child born to a mother who committed adultry and now has to walk
around with an embroided "A" on her chest for the rest of her life.
Pearl is also a pretty demonic child. The thoughts that go through her
head must be interesting. I would imagine that it would be difficult
to grow up knowing that your mother is pretty much shunned from
society because she got pregnant with you from some man that is not
her husband. It's no wonder Pearl turned out the way she did. Life
isn't easy as it is for a child to fit in and Pearl definitely did not
fit in. By getting her point of view it would be interesting to find
out exactly how she felt and thought of the way life was. Were her
thoughts and intentions as bad as they appeared to come out? The
audience might grow to have some sympathy for the girl if they knew
what was truly going through her head...

Miasha.gibbs

Oct 4, 2011, 9:34:16 PM10/4/11
to English 4
In the movie Toy Story, the story is told by the toys. Everything that
the toys do is for their owner Andy. While Andy is getting older and
getting new toys, the toys always have a way to fix all the problems
and still continue to do everything to please Andy. I believe that it
would be interesting to see Andy’s point of view of how he feels about
his toys. One way the story could be told in Andy’s point of view
could be Andy playing with the toys and the movie showing everything
that’s going on in Andy’s imagination. Andy wouldn’t know that the
toys could talk and he would eventually learn that the toys can
communicate. I wouldn’t be too happy about my toys talking and
communicating to me, but it would be good entertainment for a movie.

Erin Moore

Oct 4, 2011, 9:56:23 PM10/4/11
to English 4
In the movie based on the true story, Soul Surfer, it is centered
around the surfer Bethany Hamiliton. Bethany loses her arm one day to
a shark when out surfing with her best friend, Aylana, and the rest of
story tells of Bethany's adjustments to surfing with only one arm.
Since this is mainly centered around Bethany's feelings with one arm,
and her struggles, it would be an interesting view point to hear the
story from Aylana. Before Bethany was injured, she always got first
place with Aylana coming in second. They were both good sports about
it, however it would interesting to hear if Aylana was jealous of
Bethany. Also, when Bethany loses her arm, Aylana is helpless watching
the shark take it from her. Knowing just how Alyana felt, nightmares
she might've had about that instant, and how she got over her best
friend only having one arm, would all be interesting to know as well.
Later in the movie, Aylana is getting more attention from the surfing
world due to the one was always one above her, being held back at the
lower advantage of only having one arm. Bethany may have either felt
gulity about being capable of surfing while her best friend was at a
disadvantage, or perhaps somewhat happy because she was now getting
all of the attention from the surfing world instead of being number
two in Bethany's shadow.

Morgan Leary

Oct 4, 2011, 10:11:49 PM10/4/11
to English 4

In the story, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Snow White is known as
the fairest in all of the land. Her stepmother, the Queen, becomes
very angry and worried that Snow White's beauty would over power her
own. Trying to kill Snow White in order for herself to become the
fairest of them all, she poisons an apple for Snow White to eat. Snow
White then goes into a deep sleep and is thought to be dead.
Throughout the story, we are caused to think of the Queen as the evil
antagonist. However, looking at the situation through the Queens eyes
might allow us to see that she is a self-conscious and hurt woman. As
queens are suppose to be the most captivating and beautiful person
among all, the aspect of Snow White being the fairest in all of the
land causes the Queen to feel as if she is nothing of any importance.
Looking at Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs through the eyes of the
"evil" Queen, can show the audience how each individual can struggle
with self-conscious and replacement issues no matter what power they
may have.

Holly Busby

Oct 4, 2011, 10:27:57 PM10/4/11
to English 4
An interesting point of view would be that of the Oompa-Loompas from
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. The movie is told from the
perspective of Charlie, and portrays Willy Wonka as a hero type
character. It also shows the Oompa-Loompas just as singing factory
workers that Mr. Wonka saved. According to Mr. Wonka, the Oompa-
Loompas were living a terrible life in Loompaland, and constantly
being attacked by Whangdoodles, Hornswogglers, and Snozzywangers. So,
Willy Wonka takes the Oompa-Loompas to his factory to work for him.
The story is made out to believe the Willy Wonka was saving the Oompa-
Loompas and giving them a better life. If we heard the point of view
of the Oompa-Loompas, we could see if Mr. Wonka was really trying to
save them, or just trying to kidnap them in order to receive free
work. Even though the Oompa-Loompas do understand our language, the
mostly communicate with us through song. They also don’t ever express
their feelings about their life, but just those of the greedy
children. How do we know that the Oompa-Loompas are happy? How do we
know that Mr. Wonka isn’t lying? What if the Oompa-Loompas were happy
where they lived and they don’t want to work at the chocolate
factory? All of these questions could be answered if we could hear
the story from the point of view of the Oompa-Loompas.

Sierra Taylor

Oct 4, 2011, 10:40:09 PM10/4/11
to English 4
In the very popular movie Cinderella's the movie is told from
Cinderella's point of view. During the movie we see how her
stepmother treats her poorly and her stepsisters run all over her. We
also see the help that she gets from her fairy godmother in the story.
In the end we see that the prince everyone is fighting for chooses
Cinderella over everyone even her own stepsisters. Cinderella ends up
living happily ever after. The movie basically just shows her
struggle and how she get treated. At the end of the movie you end up
feeling like the person that gets treated badly always ends up happily
ever after. However I wonder how the story would be if it was told
from one of the stepsisters point of view. I wonder if they had any
other motive besides jealousy to act that way towards Cinderella.
Maybe they had something else against her. We automatically assume
hearing the story from Cinderella's point of view that the stepsisters
are evil. But maybe they are not evil maybe there is another reason
that Cinderella does not cover that we should know about as to why
they are so mean towards Cinderealla.

On Oct 4, 9:34 pm, "Miasha.gibbs" <vikings_chic...@rocketmail.com>

Tess Colby

Oct 4, 2011, 10:48:09 PM10/4/11
to English 4
In the classic fairy-tale, Jack and the Beanstalk, Jack is portrayed
as a hero battling an evil giant. Jack is poor and steals food, a harp
that plays music by itself, and a goose that lays golden eggs from the
giant in the sky. The story told from Jack’s point of view displays
his actions as being brave and necessary for his family’s survival. If
the story was told from the giant’s perspective, then Jack would be
seen for his true colors. Jack is breaking into the giant’s home and
taking what is not rightfully his. The giant has the right to defend
his property. Jack is being lazy and instead of working for a living,
he is taking the easy way out by helping himself to someone else’s
treasures. The giant is the victim, and in many cultures would be
considered well within his rights to attack an intruder aggressively.
The giant is seen as being evil, when in truth he reacts how any human
would. It is clear from the author’s original intent that Jack is
supposed to have redeemed himself from being a failure and a fool by
bringing riches to his poor mother. In classic fairy-tale fashion,
this makes Jack a hero. Jack had the opportunity to be responsible
originally by selling the cow as his mother instructed him to do. As
told from the giant’s point of view, Jack is really an opportunist who
takes advantage of other people instead of earning his reward.

Madison Sloan

Oct 4, 2011, 11:32:21 PM10/4/11
to English 4
The classic tale of "The Little Mermaid" is a story about a young
mermaid who will do anything, including giving up her life at sea, to
become a human and gain the love of a prince. Once she rescues the
prince from a bad storm, she feels she has to find a way to become
human to get closer to him. The Sea Witch sells her a potion which
gives Ariel legs in return for her tongue. The only way for her to
become human with a voice again is to marry the prince before he
marries someone else. I think it would be interesting to hear the
story told from the Sea Witch's point of view. The Sea Witch can
obviously see everything Aries is doing so she must have a motive for
giving her the potion whether it being to see ariel fail and die or
see her succede.

Caitlin Neal

Oct 5, 2011, 1:13:32 AM10/5/11
to English 4
The book The Room by Emma Donoghue is a story about a women who is
kidnapped at age 15 and trapped in a single room for seven years.
During this time she has a child from her kinapper who happens to be
the narrator of the story. The little boy has an interesting
perspective because he had never been outside the room before and
thinks the room is the whole world. Trapped in the cell like quarters,
he has never seen a cloud, felt a breeze, or experienced any elements.
Alone with the exception of his mother; he names inanimate objects
almost like they were friends. Although this is a very intriguing
point of view, I think hearing the story from the kidnapper would be
interesting. While reading this book I was curious about the reasoning
and the background of the kidnapper because throughout the book The
Room, the kidnapper is a constant presence but no information about
his life is given. With the story told with his perspective, it might
give insight to if he felt any guilt of any sort or what motivated him
to do such actions.

Nick Stauble

Oct 5, 2011, 10:10:32 AM10/5/11
to English 4
An interesting point of view that no ever looks at would be Darth
Vader's point of view from the star wars movies 4-6. Each movie was
based on the so called good side of the force and the dark side was
precieved as truely only evil. Even during the secnes in which two
evil leaders meet and dicuss their plans, its pretty much basis. I
feel that beowulf and Grendel are almost the same. Each set of stories
has the dark side/ evil monster in on one light. Grendel gives the
other side or feelings of the evil but beowulf and the movies only
show the image of evil from the good side of the spectrum.

Robert Loweth

Oct 5, 2011, 10:15:47 AM10/5/11
to English 4
Forrest Gump is the tale of a good-natured and lovable halfwit who
stumbles his way through one of the most turbulent times in American
history. While he never fully comprehends the events going on around
him, his endeavors almost always lead to extremely good fortune, and
Forrest lives a cheerful and fulfilling life. While the movie is
generally light-hearted and positive, these characteristics only serve
to hide the movie’s very dark undercurrent. This undercurrent is best
represented by the story of Jenny, Forrest’s best friend and the
mother of his child. If Forrest Gump were told from Jenny’s point of
view, a cheerful and family-friendly story would turn into a tale of
physical/sexual abuse, alcoholism, prostitution, drug abuse, political
protest, and eventual death by AIDS. A tale celebrating the strength
and resilience of mankind would instead become a tale revealing, in
rather graphic detail, the truly dark side of humanity. An excellent
example would be the contrasting viewpoints of Jenny’s childhood. The
audience saw Jenny’s early years through the blissfully ignorant eyes
of Forrest, and were thus spared much of the background chaos which
dominated her life. It took keen observation to discern what was
really going on, in that her father was not just a terrible alcoholic,
he was also physically and sexually abusing his daughters, who were
too scared to do anything about it. Even though her story has a
comparatively happy ending, the gruesome details of her past would
leave the audience feeling sickened, rather than cheerful.

Bryce Murray

Oct 5, 2011, 10:17:54 AM10/5/11
to English 4
In the story of He-man, He-man fights against the villian known as
skeletor. But if the story was told from skeletor's point of veiw it
would be very different. Skeletor's story would be how he tries to
defeat he-man but is always defeated by the power of he-man sword. We
would learn what skeletor's purpose for trying to beat he-man and why
he never gives up even though he-man is stronger than his evil
companions like beast man. Maybe if the story was told from skeletor's
point of veiw we could probaly discover that he-man could turn out to
be the villian and skeletor is just defending himself.

Sara Maxwell

Oct 5, 2011, 10:58:02 AM10/5/11
to English 4
In the novel East Of Eden, Samuel Hamilton comes to northern
California where he settles with his family. Adam Trask lives here
with his wife Cathy, and becomes friends with Samuel. Adams brother is
Charles, who resents Adam throughout the book for being their father,
Cyrus's favorite child. When Cathy and Adam move to California, Cathy
becomes pregnant. She tries to abort her baby, and has two boys, Cal
and Aaron. Cathy tries to leave her babies and Adam, and when Adam
tries to stop her, she shoots her husband. Cathy becomes a prostitute
and takes over the business after poising her boss, Faye. She also
blackmails rich men in the Salina Valleys. When Adam comes to see her,
she is desperate for him and Adam then realizes who Cathy really is as
a person. Through out the novel, Cathy commits evil acts against
herself and everyone else who comes into her life. I think it would be
very interesting to read this novel from Cathy’s point of view. A
man's ability to choose between good and evil, “timshel” is the theme
throughout the book. If Cathy’s point of view was shown, one could see
why she did these evil deeds. Was she really just a evil person, or
was she seeking for love and acceptance the whole time?

hunter beasley

Oct 5, 2011, 11:24:26 AM10/5/11
to English 4
In the movie Wall-e a intresting point of view would be Wall-e's pet
the cockroach. the cockroach would always follow him around just
watching him and would keep him company, but what is the cockroach
thinking. Maybe he dosen't understand why wall-e is still on earth and
is just going through everything or maybe he sees Wall-e as a friend
and wont leave him because hes the only one left. Wall-e takes care of
him and i wonder what the cockroach thinks of it when he helps him.

dj Andrews

Oct 5, 2011, 11:29:35 AM10/5/11
to English 4
A blind slide is told from Michael Oher's point of view. When you look
at this movie you see the struggle that he went through from his mom
giving him up to his struggle to learn how to play football. When we
look at this movie we see his mom as a bad person and one who does not
really care about anything but drugs. However if this movie was told
from the adoptive mom's point of view we might not look at the mom as
that bad of a person. The adoptive mom might understand how hard it is
to raise a child and give us some sort of reasoning to maybe why she
did right in giving up her son.

Emily Hines

Oct 5, 2011, 5:41:21 PM10/5/11
to English 4
The Dark Knight, told from the Joker's perspective, could be very
interesting. The story is normally told through Batman's eyes, and
therefore the Joker is displayed in a very negative light. Batman is
portrayed as the hero while The Joker is displayed as the malicious
antagonist. However, if the story was told through the Joker's eyes,
the audience could sympathize with his past. It could explain how the
Joker became to be who he is today. It would show how the Joker got
slashed in the cheeks by his father when he was a child. He is now
left with a large scar in the shape of a smile on his cheeks. Due to
his father's abuse and his mother's neglect, the Joker resorts to
violence. He lashes out at Batman, to release his anger. It could show
how Batman is a vigilante, so he does extremely bad things in order to
produce good things. It could show how Batman is extremely overrated
and does more bad than good. The Joker deserves sympathy and could be
shown as simply misunderstood.

Caroline Pray

Oct 5, 2011, 8:44:57 PM10/5/11
to English 4
One of my favorite books of all time is To Kill a Mockingbird by
Harper Lee. The story is told from the perspective of a six year old
girl in Alabama during times of racial tension. Although Lee uses the
point of view of a child to portray racial relationships in a
different light, I think the story would be interestingly altered if
it were told from the point of view of another character in the story,
like Boo Radley, the neighborhood recluse. Throughout the novel, Boo
is a mystery to Scout and her brother, as he is never seen outside of
his house, and so they come up with their own ideas about what he must
be like based off of rumors. If the novel was set from his point of
view, the reader would get a glimpse of what life was like for him,
shut away in his own home, and his motivation for saving Scout and her
brother in one of the final scenes of the novel. It would also answer
questions about his past that the reader has from early on in the
story. This change in point of view would really fit into one of
Harper Lee’s themes for the novel- that you don’t really know someone
until you put yourself in their shoes.

Eli McIntosh

Oct 5, 2011, 11:35:36 PM10/5/11
to English 4
In one of the greatest movies in existence, The Lion King; Mufasa's
brother Scar is considered to be the villain. He sets up his brothers
demise, leaving his son Simba in the middle of a stampede. Mufasa
saves his son, and reaches out for Scars help while trying to escape
the stampede. Instead of providing assistance, Scar deceives his
brother, dropping him to his impending death. If the entire movie
played out from Scars point of view, the reasoning behind his cunning
ways would be revealed. Scar was always lurking in the shadow of
Mufasa, hoping that he would someday rule pride rock. This aspiration
for power was quickly diminished by the birth of Simba, who would
inevitably become king after Mufasa. Scar was demoralized by the fact
that his brother ruled over him, and seeing the next opportunity for
king being filled must have fueled all of the pent up rage and
frustration inside of him. Disregarded by his own family, and
disrespected by all, Scar decides that it is his turn to possess power
over the land and be labeled as King. In the eyes of Scar, he has been
mistreated and feels powerless compared to his brother.

Lauren Lackey

Oct 6, 2011, 12:34:45 AM10/6/11
to English 4
In the book "Pride and Prejudice," Elizabeth Bennet tells the story
from her own point of view. She meets Mr. Darcy and believes him to be
an arrogant and snobby human being. Mr. Darcy throughout the entire
book tries to be a good friend to Mr. Bingley, save his family and
others from embarrassment, as well as trying to stay on the good side
of Elizabeth. What Elizabeth believes to be arrogance is actually
careful thinking and aloofness. Throughout the novel, she has many
unkind exchanges with Mr. Darcy and is very blunt about her opinion of
him. Towards the end of the book, it is revealed just how kind and
considerate that Mr. Darcy was the entire time, but he was just
misunderstood by Elizabeth. I think it would be interesting to see
"Pride and Prejudice" told from Mr. Darcy's point of view since he was
constantly trying to do the right thing and getting scolded by
Elizabeth, even though she was the one who was misinterpreting his
actions.

Isi Laborde-Edozien

Oct 6, 2011, 1:53:35 AM10/6/11
to English 4
An interesting alternate perspective of Chuck Palahniuk’s novel Fight
Club would be that of the narrator’s alter ego, Tyler Durden, who is
the charismatic, individualistic reverse of the innocuous pencil
pusher narrator. This position would take on the same metafictional
aspect as Grendel, as Tyler exists merely as a figment of the
narrator’s subconscious, and perhaps would more shine light on Tyler’s
true origins within the narrators past experiences, how his character
manifests with each event, and the ulterior philosophy underlying his
actions and sadomasochism (which is much better illustrated in the
film), such as the book’s existential and political subtext that
insinuates that our cherished strongholds of American liberty
(consumerism, family values, etc.) come loaded with totalitarianism
and conformity. It might also reveal truths about the narrator,
particularly those he is not aware of himself -- since Tyler has full
access to all of his subliminal thoughts and motives. I imagine it
would be a satirical commentary on the narrator’s life, much more
cynical than narrator’s depictions, that follows Tyler’s intentions as
he influences the narrator to rebel against materialism and corporate
hypocrisy in a violent struggle to escape the confines of the
narrators mind.

Allen Crowell

Oct 6, 2011, 1:53:45 AM10/6/11
to English 4
I think it would be interesting to see the transformers series told
from megatron's point of view. Megatron is the leader of the
decepticons, the autobots"sworn enemies". Hearing Megatron's exact
thoughts of optimus prime and the rest of the autobots would probably
result in the history of why megatron feels this way and how it came
to be. Megatrons reasons behind his evil plots to take over the world,
might just be an attempt to earn the respect of higher robot beings
that seemed to have favored the prime family. I would be curious to
know if megatron is just looking for approval from someone that he is
not a failure and can have some purpose in his robot life other than
becoming a very hated being.
This conversation is locked