Underscore August meetup

Tomer Gabel

Aug 5, 2014, 10:05:13 AM8/5/14

Our sixth meetup will take place on August 19th in Tel-Aviv and is hosted by Supersonic, with, in what is becoming our regular format, two full-length talks in Hebrew (unless popular demand dictates otherwise):

• Tomer Gabel - Back to basics: Type classes

Type classes are a fundamental feature of Scala, which allows you to layer new functionality on top of existing types externally, i.e. without modifying or recompiling existing code. When combined with implicits, this is a truly remarkable tool that enables many of the advanced features offered by the Scala library ecosystem. In this talk we'll go back to basics: how type classes are defined and encoded, and cover several prominent use cases.

• Jonathan Chayat - Above the average typing: using Spire, singleton types and other beasts

We will go through a small library which we have written at Supersonic aimed at correctly dealing with money. We use some nice typing trickery for achieving a high level of type safety while maintaining an easy to use API. We will discuss Spire, singleton types and the usage of wildcards vs covariance.

Both talks will be recorded courtesy of Supersonic, and published on Wix's Parleys channel. See you there!

Location note: The main entrance is open until 19:00. Registered attendees who arrive afterwards can enter via the west entrance (next to the AM/PM store), just tell the guard your name and that you're a guest of Supersonic.

See you there!