static concave tri meshes

stopwalve

Nov 9, 2010, 11:08:34 AM11/9/10
to jinngine
Do you think that static concave tri meshes will be available/
supported in the near future?

Thanks.

Morten Silcowitz

Nov 9, 2010, 7:36:37 PM11/9/10
to jinn...@googlegroups.com
I'm a bit busy at the moment, but I would like to give it a try,
within this year I think. Unfortunately I haven't have time to do much
research on the subject, and so I have not yet decided how to tackle
the problem.

Is there any specific application you have in mind?

stopwalve

Nov 10, 2010, 8:49:59 AM11/10/10
to jinngine
Thanks for the reply.
In answer to your query: simulated terain and surfaces. Honestly if
a simple 'one sided/single normal' triangle geometry was supported,
that would probably be enough for me.

Once again thanks.
> > Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

stopwalve

Nov 10, 2010, 8:51:55 AM11/10/10
to jinngine
Single normal per triangle that is......

mo

Nov 10, 2010, 10:39:11 AM11/10/10
to jinngine
Yes I see.

One thing you could try, was generating (non-uniform) tetrahedrons to
make up the static mesh you need, using fixed convex ConvexHulls .
Then, assuming you have some BVH or something for your terrain, you
insert and remove the fixed tetrahedrons from the jinngine scene as
your dynamic objects moves around in the world. I never tried
something like that, so I don't really know how it will work out :)

Of course, you could insert the whole world in one go, but jinngine
uses SAP for broadphase detection, and that is mostly efficient for
small-medium scale number of objects. For large scale, you need some
form of BVH i would say.

But i'll keep the trimesh thing in mind, and let you know when I'll
give it a go.

btw, I recommend checking out the "geometry_rework" branch, if you
plan to try the mentioned approach.

Let me know how you progress

-mo

stopwalve

Nov 10, 2010, 12:06:26 PM11/10/10
to jinngine
Yes, I considered using a series of ConvexHulls. May have to try
it.....
Again, many thanks.