Working with Trees in Jibe and Unity3d

John "Pathfinder" Lester

Jul 15, 2011, 6:57:10 PM7/15/11
to jibe-and...@googlegroups.com
Just wrote an intro tutorial on my blog: "Working with Trees and Unity3d."

http://becunningandfulloftricks.com/2011/07/15/working-with-trees-in-jibe-and-unity3d/

Plant a forest today!

-John

Kyle G

Jul 16, 2011, 7:21:06 AM7/16/11
to jibe-and...@googlegroups.com
Fantastic!  I will use this with sySTEMic work this weekend.

dpentecost

Jul 17, 2011, 6:05:49 PM7/17/11
to Jibe and Unity3d
Great, John! And on Google+ your post is on top of a Unity3D "Sparks"
search - finally bumping Tipodean. (Sparks is a bit static in its
updating, but it can be handy to find posts on a particular subject)

I'd also recommend TreePad app for the iPad - create trees on the
iPad, export as FBX and bring them into Unity/Jibe!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/treepad/id421230117?mt=8
http://blogs.unity3d.com/2011/04/27/experimenting-with-treepad-in-unity/

Cheers
Dave

Chris Hart

Jul 17, 2011, 10:28:06 PM7/17/11
to jibe-and...@googlegroups.com
Wow that is an awesome app! Stealing hubby's iPad now to try it out, will
report in with results :)

Thanks Dave, super find!

Chris

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/treepad/id421230117?mt=8
http://blogs.unity3d.com/2011/04/27/experimenting-with-treepad-in-unity/

Cheers
Dave

"Jibe and Unity3d" group.

Neil Canham

Jul 18, 2011, 5:20:44 AM7/18/11
to jibe-and...@googlegroups.com
Ooo that does look good... /me heads straight to iTunes and iPad....

Neil

John "Pathfinder" Lester

Jul 18, 2011, 9:23:00 AM7/18/11
to jibe-and...@googlegroups.com
Oh wow. I'm going to update my blog post so more folks know about
this app. Thank you Dave!

-John

----------------------------
John Lester
Director, Community Development
ReactionGrid, Inc.
http://reactiongrid.com
http://jibemix.com
+1 (617) 910 0386
My Jibe Office: http://bit.ly/Jibe
Additional Contact Info: http://about.me/pathfinder

“If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up the men to gather wood,
divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the
vast and endless sea.”  -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Kay McLennan

Jul 18, 2011, 11:12:33 AM7/18/11
On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 5:05 PM, dpentecost <dave.pe...@gmail.com> wrote:
...I'd also recommend TreePad app for the iPad - create trees on the
Wow!  Although I am not [yet] developing a Unity-Jibe space, I have owned an iPad for nine days and think the TreePad is one of the best apps (next to Keynote) I have downloaded to date!

As an aside, does anyone else find themselves trying to resize and/or drag objects around on a non touch screen (after getting use to the brilliant touch pad iPad screen)?  That is, NOT being able to drag, rotate, and resize objects by touch now seems to me to be archaic!

Any additional [brilliant] app recommendations?

Best,
Kay

Kyle G

Jul 18, 2011, 6:25:55 PM7/18/11
to jibe-and...@googlegroups.com
I do keep inappropriately touching my non touch screen laptop screen after prolonged use of my Android Tablet.  Despite many apologies I fear I am introducing a feeling of inadequacy to my faithful friend.

dpentecost

Jul 18, 2011, 6:32:47 PM7/18/11
to Jibe and Unity3d
> Any additional [brilliant] app recommendations?

More app suggestions:

The best sketching app I've found is Autodesk Sketchbook or Sketchbook
Pro - very useful, especially if you have a stylus. Multiple layers,
good tools.

There are some 3D modeling programs you should look at:

Verto Studio 3D
iDough

Both output OBJ files. Verto Studio 3D also imports OBJ so it is good
for previewing or demonstrating your models from another app. I've
played with this one, and it's a little tricky to get the hang of the
modeling part.

iDough is like Zbrush or Sculptris on your iPad. Looks good and easy,
but got some mixed reviews from people who didn't like having to buy
it to get more than 5 minutes on the app.

I haven't tried it yet but here are some video demos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS-wT3_iVuc&feature=fvwk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b61N0m9GwEY&feature=fvwrel

Any other suggestions?

Dave