9.0-r1 (finally)

tbeernot

Apr 10, 2018, 8:03:15 AM4/10/18
to jfxtras-dev@googlegroups.com (via tbeernot@gmail.com)
Still not a fan. Really really not a fan. But with the help of Andres Almiray the Gradle buildscript is finally working and JFXtras is build on Java 9 and 9.0-r1 was pushed out to Maven. :-) Now on to Java 10.

JavaFX will be separated out starting Java 11, so how we will do versioning and branch numbering may need to be rethought. It probably will still include JavaFX's version. Let's see how that is done first.

samir.ha...@gmail.com

Jan 3, 2019, 2:22:24 PM1/3/19
to JFXtras Developers
Hi,

I've seen that a version of 10.0-r1 exists. Is it for Java 10?

I was using JFXtras in one of my project and I am now studying the migration between JDK 8 to JDK 11. Therefore, I will need to use an OpenJFX version. The current implementation of OpenJFX 11 does not suits my need (for the SpreadsheetView of ControlsFX) so I am making some PR into OpenJFX in order to have a compliant OpenJFX version soon.

Do you have a roadmap somewhere? If I'm not mistaken, the huge deal was moving from JDK 8 to JDK 9. I've been able to run JFXtras 10.0-r1 with JDK 11 and OpenFX 12 so my guess is that this version is compatible?

Anyway, looking forward to your answers. I have contributed in the past to JFXtras and if you need some extra hand for a migration/release toward OpenJFX 11/12/13, I'll gladly help.

Sam'

tbeernot

Jan 3, 2019, 2:34:28 PM1/3/19
to jfxtr...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the 10 branch is compiled against Java 10. But any 9+ branch should work, because JFXtras is modularized from the 9 branch and higher.

The biggest issue JFXtras currently has, is that the supporting plugins in Gradle are lagging in their support of Java 9+. We use for example asciidoc for the documentation, and that has had a lot of workaround in the Gradle build file for Java 9. And all these workarounds now are causing problems when editing the source code in Eclipse. So we're a bit stuck and struggling, not with the source code of JFXtras, but with the build tooling. Right now Andres is focusing on getting it to work for Java 11, by cleaning up that whole build structure (https://github.com/aalmiray/kordamp-gradle-plugins).

There is no roadmap, because we are depending on other project. But 'yesterday' would please me :-)

Regards, Tom

samir.ha...@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2019, 6:12:01 AM1/4/19
to JFXtras Developers
Hi,

Thanks for the reply! I see things more clearly now. The migration between Java 8 and Java 9 is quite intense and I know that lots of people are still in Java 8. That was my case and I'm merely looking over JDK 11 right now..

Thanks again for the reply, and thanks for JFXtras components :)

Sam'