[jewish-funerals]

A. Sandler

Mar 6, 2018, 11:29:23 PM3/6/18
to jewish-...@googlegroups.com
Does anybody know the source which was used to determine the different elements of women's tachrichim?

A question came up in our community why it includes Michnasayim (pants), when traditionally women were not to dress in men's clothing.

Thanks

Adriana Sandler

Rabbi Joe Blair

Mar 7, 2018, 7:45:24 AM3/7/18
to jewish-...@googlegroups.com
Adriana,

I would speculate it is because the meit or meitah is being dressed in imitation of the Kohen Gadol, ready to enter the holy of holies, and the soul is without gender. That would not account for the apron, which men do not get, however.
Also, I can note that the tachrichim are NOT universal - there are many variations in number of garments, what is included, and so on, so this is not about halachah/law (again!), it is rather minhag (custom).
Isaac Pollack produced an interesting discussion of the history of tachrichim which appeared in the Kavod v'Nichum blog, Expired And Inspired, on the Jewish Journal. http://jewishjournal.com/culture/religion/184692/

Joe

                             Rabbi Joe Blair

                   Rabb...@hotmail.com
             925-272-8563 [925-2-RAV-JOE]

               Editor, Kavod v'Nichum's Blog
                    Expired and Inspired
                    LA Jewish Journal Blog

    Administrator, Webmaster, Coordinator, & Panelist
Jewish Values Online, http://www.JewishValuesOnline.org

  Dean of Administration & Instructor, Gamliel Institute
                  J.B...@Jewish-Funerals.Org

 Staff Member, Kavod v'Nichum, Jewish-Funerals.Org
                   J.B...@Jewish-Funerals.Org

Adjunct Faculty, Department of Philosophy & Religion
            Bridgewater College, Bridgewater VA
                      JBl...@bridgewater.edu

Temple House                          Beth El
of Israel                                      Congregation
P.O. Box 1412                           P.O. Box 845
15 North Market St.                   830 Old Furnace Road
Staunton, VA                             Harrisonburg, VA
24402-1412                               22802-0845
www.THOI.org                           BethEl-Harrisonburg.org

               .זֶה הַיּוֹם עָשָׂה יְיָ, נָגֽילָה וְנִשְׂמְחָה בוֹ
          This is the day that the Lord made; be
                     happy and rejoice in it.
                                         Ps. 118:24

Read the text within its context.   ---  Francesco Petrarch

Lynn Greenhough

Mar 7, 2018, 7:45:24 AM3/7/18
to jewish-...@googlegroups.com
The tachrichim are based on garments worn by the Kohen Gadol, in this weeks double parashat, Vayakhel Pekudei, you can read the names of the garments, including that of michnasayim. Distinctions between men and women are in head coverings and ties on legs. We also cover faces of women with a cut piece of lace, tucking edges into her bonnet.
Regards,
Lynn

Susan Barnes

Mar 7, 2018, 7:45:24 AM3/7/18
to A. Sandler, jewish-...@googlegroups.com
It's my understanding we do the two ties below her knees to show that's where the bottom of her skirt is, and below that represents her boots, so she's not "really" wearing pants.

Rabbi Regina Sandler-Phillips

Mar 7, 2018, 1:25:30 PM3/7/18
to Jewish Funerals
I agree with Susan's understanding of the ties--and, as Joe has noted, both takhrikhim and order of dressing are a matter of minhag / custom.

Rabbi Mosha Epstein's Tahara Manual of Practices includes a fascinating table of takhrikhim variations among several strictly Orthodox burial fellowships. Our women's hevra has traditionally not used the apron, and has tied at the ankles.

Apropos of Lynn's identification of the original verse/s, here are some notes from our manual (page 23) for your consideration:

"We recite Leviticus 16:4 in its entirety, which we believe to be appropriate in context. However, we do not consider the references to the linen garments of the High Priest to be a literal prescription for the Hevra Kadisha. Rabban Gamaliel’s directive (as recorded in the Talmud, Moed Katan 27a-b) that he be buried in flaxen garments is clearly presented in the context of rabbinic concerns 'for the honor of the poor,' and is followed by Rav Pappa’s uncontested assertion that “nowadays, [burial] is customary even in hemp cloth worth one zuz!” Today, linen shrouds are the most expensive, and some authorities even countenance a two-class system whereby poor people are 'permitted' to use less expensive fabrics. We believe that this negates the original concern.

"The Shulkhan Arukh declares that 'The dead is not to be buried in expensive shrouds, even for a prince of Israel. It has been the custom to bury in white garments' (Yoreh De’ah 352:1-2). The connection between the flaxen (Hebrew: pishtan) garments of Rabban Gamaliel and the linen (Hebrew: bahd) garments of the High Priest appears to be a later addition to burial custom; the recitation of Leviticus 16:4 is not found in Ma’avar Yabok. We try to uphold “the honor of the poor” by using muslin takhrikhim for every meit/ah."

May we go from strength to strength.

With many blessings for all the seasons ahead,

Regina

Rabbi Regina Sandler-Phillips, MSW, MPH

"In cities of diversity...we organize ourselves and our money...
to sustain the poor...and visit the sick...and bury the dead...and comfort the bereaved...
for these are ways of peace." (Jerusalem Talmud, Tractate Gittin)

On March 5, 2018 at 3:02 PM "A. Sandler" <sand...@gmail.com> wrote:

Does anybody know the source which was used to determine the different elements of women's tachrichim?

A question came up in our community why it includes Michnasayim (pants), when traditionally women were not to dress in men's clothing.

Thanks

Adriana Sandler

Isaac Pollak

Mar 7, 2018, 5:41:58 PM3/7/18
to jewish-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Adrianna
Please see  excerpts  of a talk I  gave last week  to Rabbinical students
What  I want  to  focus  on the next  5  minutes  is  the  burial  shrouds   that are used by CK  worldwide  and  what they signify.
I  have   participated  in taharas  in HK, Chile, Bneus  Aires, Gibraltar and  all  use  the  same  basic  shrouds outlined  by Berachia.
It  was Rabban Gamliet of  the  second  century  who instituted  1900 years ago that  all – wealthy or poor  are equal  before  God and  all  should be buried in simple  white linen shrouds
Actually we  don’t know  exactly what  shrouds  RG mandated-  my opinion based on  textual  references  is that  RG  mandated just a  sovev- a wraparound  cloth- and have  argued  this  with Rabbi Sperber, Dr Avriel, Rabbi Zohn-  they  all disagree  with me- but that’s another  discussion , see article
Many CK add   an  additional  clothing -  we add a kitel,  and a  talis, but  the essential  4-5 remain the basic  clothing.

It  was  RAB who     took the leap  and  wrote the  text book mandating that when a   person  dies and  goes  to meet  God . he/she  should wear  what the Kohen Gadol  wore when he went  into the  KK  on YK  to  meet  God.
Actually it’s this  week’s Parsha   chapter  28   - Va-usasya at meil, a few  sentences  later Va-hilbashta  otom    ….
These are
Ø Mitzbafos-a head  covering –  modeled after the   turban type of  head  covering  that kohenim  wore
Ø Michnasyim- pants  with  the bottoms  sewn  shut , just as the  kohaniom did their avodah  barefooted  so too the mais meets God on holy  ground , without  footwear
Ø Meil or  ketones-shirt  that  covers  that pants  --- pants go on first  touching the skin     as  - au’michnesi bad  yohu  al  bisuri-
Ø Avnet or  a  belt or gartel  and a
Ø Sovev-  a   wrapping sheet
All resembling the white vestments worn by the Kohen  Gadol.

Adds Berachia   brilliantly- quoting the Talmud  in Zavachim  88:B-  just  as the korbones    or animal  sacrifices   facilitate  an atonement  for  sin,  so  too the priestly  garments  atones  for  various  sins. See the Talmud  for  a  detailed d explanation  which  clothing  is   an atonement   for  which  group of  sins.
So Chevra- imagine – we  are preparing  the  deceased  to meet  God in  holy Garments

It  fills me  with awe every time  we  do this

Isaac Pollak