Upgrading to Jenkins 2.2 Breaks Build Flow Plugin DSL Editing

AJ Ferrigno

May 24, 2016, 10:09:25 AM5/24/16
to Jenkins Users
Hello,

We have been using the Build Flow plugin for about a year now. We have a large block of DSL which we mostly needed for parallel execution.

I have just tried upgrading to Jenkins 2.2, and I am now unable to edit the DSL in our existing Build Flow job. I open the job, click configuration, scroll down to where the DSL would be, and the entire DSL just disappears from view. The only way I can edit the DSL is to navigate to the config.xml file on the master, change it there, and then reload configuration from disk. Obviously, this is an inconvenience.

I have tried making a brand new (blank) Build Flow job and the same issue happens. Once I paste in my DSL, save it, then return to the configuration and scroll down, the DSL box disappears.

Upgrading to Jenkins 2.6 does not fix the issue (in fact, it breaks other things sadly). Upgrading all my plugins does not fix the issue.

It looks like this plugin is deprecated in favor of Pipelines and may no longer be supported. I will need to investigate Pipelines to see how to move away from our DSL. However, there was a change this month to link it to Pipelines. Is it possible to get this problem fixed as well? I even volunteer myself to fixing it, although I am not a Jenkins developer and wouldn't know where to start debugging this thing. I'm hoping someone else would understand why something would disappear from the page as a result of the 2.2 upgrade. Maybe after having it explained, I can make the hopefully small code change to get it fixed.

Thanks in advance,
AJ

Stefan Thomasson

May 24, 2016, 10:48:43 AM5/24/16
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
It is said that jenkins 2.x should be backwards compatible so I not really sure why buildflow break the gui. For me it only dissapear when navigating using the tab, so scrolling usually works.
Right now I do not consider pipeline mature enough for use in production but you may be of other opinion.

nicolas de loof

May 24, 2016, 10:52:30 AM5/24/16
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Pipeline is not perfect but definitively is more mature than build-flow has ever been (*)

(*) I'm build-flow initial author, and gave up for major technical limitations

Baptiste Mathus

May 25, 2016, 5:07:25 PM5/25/16
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Indeed, this plugin is up for adoption now that Damien stepped down.

But, as says Nicolas who created it, this plugin is unlikely to have a lot of traction and any real future [1] so you're likely to have to dig into the issue yourself.
But you're very welcome to step over as a maintainer AJ. Just tell us and we can grant you the required permissions if you wish to fix and release it.

[1] not forgetting the merit of Nicolas and this plugin, which was actually one of the inspirations for the Pipeline plugin.

AJ Ferrigno

May 26, 2016, 12:37:02 PM5/26/16
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info.

I have found a workaround for now - I just moved the DSL out from the Jenkins job itself and into a source controlled file, which is arguably where it should have been from the beginning.

In the course of making this change, I have discovered another strangeness regarding this plugin - the DSL textbox actually does not disappear when the checkbox "Flow run needs a workspace" is checked. I guess that could be another workaround, but it is not clear to me how both things could be true. It seems mutually exclusive for one to define flow DSL from a workspace file and also from an in-job DSL textbox. I might have to investigate what would happen if both things were used.

I did try investigating via Chrome developer tools what would cause the textbox to disappear, and it seems like it is due to the table's TR element (with class "config-table-top-row") getting added an additional style of "style=display: none" as soon as I scroll down far enough, as soon as the flow dsl text box shows a few lines. This dom change would obviously cause it to disappear. I don't really see what could cause that to happen, there are no network changes happening as I scroll down that I can see, but there are a bunch of "Process DOM-Change event"s happening. I guess one of them could be causing the problem, but they still happen after it disappears, so I'm not sure how to debug further.

I'll have to keep looking into this before I feel comfortable taking this one on as a maintainer! But I'll let you know if I can.