UnknownHost Exception with Linux master and window slave

Varghese Renny

Jul 2, 2012, 6:59:06 AM7/2/12
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

Hi,
  I am using jenkins with master node as Linux 64 bit and slava node as windows 32 bit. When i do Launch slave agent i am getting error like UnknownHostException.
When i read some blogs i find that jdk version should be same. i changed it to same. Then i give Host name of slave machine as Node name .Still i am not able to solve this error.
Somebody please help....

ERROR: Unexpected error in launching a slave. This is probably a bug in Jenkins
java.net.UnknownHostException: SISBLRDKT108

Thanks in advance
Varghese

Varghese Renny

Jul 2, 2012, 9:25:18 AM7/2/12
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

Problem is resolved.i get connection to slave using jnlp.
I am using Tomcat application Server. But i have another doubt regarding whether my slave should be able to use same tomcat instance as master has used.
Please reply

Thanks in advance
Varghese

Mandeville, Rob

Jul 2, 2012, 10:08:55 AM7/2/12
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

How is a slave on a Windows machine using a Tomcat instance on a Unix machine?  For that matter, how is a slave using a Tomcat instance at all?  Slaves aren’t servlets, just the Jenkins server is.

If you mean that the slave is running a job that interacts with a Tomcat instance, whether that can be done against the same instance as the Jenkins server depends on the job, not the slave.  Even if the job is playing with the Tomcat instance that Jenkins in on, neither the slave nor the server will put two and two together and realize it’s operating on the same servlet container that the Jenkins server is on.  Certainly, if the job is doing something like bouncing the Tomcat server that Jenkins is on, that will totally screw things up, as in the middle of the job, the slave will lose connectivity with Jenkins and probably die.

--Rob

The information in this message is for the intended recipient(s) only and may be the proprietary and/or confidential property of Litle & Co., LLC, and thus protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify Litle & Co. immediately by replying to this message and then promptly deleting it and your reply permanently from your computer.

Umesh Padhye

Jul 2, 2012, 11:02:03 AM7/2/12
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I am also getting same issue when I configure the slave as windows service.
The service runs fine. But the node goes offline.
Please help me out.

	at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
	at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
	at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(Unknown Source)
	at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
	at java.io.ObjectInputStream$PeekInputStream.peek(Unknown Source)
	at java.io.ObjectInputStream$BlockDataInputStream.peek(Unknown Source)
	at java.io.ObjectInputStream$BlockDataInputStream.peekByte(Unknown Source)
	at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(Unknown Source)
	at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject(Unknown Source)
	at hudson.remoting.Command.readFrom(Command.java:90)
	at hudson.remoting.ClassicCommandTransport.read(ClassicCommandTransport.java:59)
	at hudson.remoting.SynchronousCommandTransport$ReaderThread.run(SynchronousCommandTransport.java:48)

Connect slave to Jenkins one of these ways: