I think a plugin *broke* my Jenkins install

GlenM

May 16, 2011, 1:29:02 PM5/16/11
to Jenkins Users
I installed the HTML publisher plugin into my Jenkins install
(v1.408).
After installing, Jenkins would *not* restart.

I had to manually remove the plugin ( went to the plugins directory
and
deleted the *.hpi file. There was no directory created, so none to
delete.

Now, Jenkins will still not start. I can start it manually using no
config files and using port 8080, but using the init script does not
work.

I turned verbose logging on in hope to see what the issue was, but it
is
not even getting that far.

Any words of wisdom? I don't want to remove the install and start
over,
but if I have to I shall.

Thanks

Glen

Andrew Bayer

May 16, 2011, 3:03:49 PM5/16/11
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Can you see anything of note in /var/log/jenkins/jenkins.log?

A.

Glen Millard

May 16, 2011, 3:38:17 PM5/16/11
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com, Andrew Bayer
No - that is the thing! I was hoping to see what was happening. However, it does not even start logging now.

I figured I would tap into the 'expert' resource instead of spinning wheels.

Anything else that would help troubleshoot this, I would be more than happy to post.

Glen

Glen Millard

May 16, 2011, 4:01:02 PM5/16/11
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com, Andrew Bayer
The last entry in the /var/log/jenkins/jenkins.log before things went bad was as follows:

WARNING: Failed to write out the queue file /var/lib/jenkins/queue.xml
hudson.util.IOException2: Failed to create a temporary file in /var/lib/jenkins
        at hudson.util.AtomicFileWriter.<init>(AtomicFileWriter.java:67)
        at hudson.util.AtomicFileWriter.<init>(AtomicFileWriter.java:54)
        at hudson.XmlFile.write(XmlFile.java:162)
        at hudson.model.Queue.save(Queue.java:344)
        at hudson.model.Hudson.cleanUp(Hudson.java:2453)
        at hudson.lifecycle.UnixLifecycle.restart(UnixLifecycle.java:66)
        at hudson.model.Hudson$18.run(Hudson.java:3150)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Permission denied
        at java.io.UnixFileSystem.createFileExclusively(Native Method)
        at java.io.File.checkAndCreate(File.java:1716)
        at java.io.File.createTempFile(File.java:1804)
        at hudson.util.AtomicFileWriter.<init>(AtomicFileWriter.java:65)
        ... 6 more

Furthermore, the /var/lib/jenkins/queue.xml file does not exist. The file that is there is called queue.xml.bak - I have no idea if this is relevant or not.

Mirko Friedenhagen

May 16, 2011, 4:19:47 PM5/16/11
On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 22:01, Glen Millard <glenm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The last entry in the /var/log/jenkins/jenkins.log before things went bad
> was as follows:
>
> WARNING: Failed to write out the queue file /var/lib/jenkins/queue.xml
> hudson.util.IOException2: Failed to create a temporary file in
> /var/lib/jenkins
>         at hudson.util.AtomicFileWriter.<init>(AtomicFileWriter.java:67)
>         at hudson.util.AtomicFileWriter.<init>(AtomicFileWriter.java:54)
>         at hudson.XmlFile.write(XmlFile.java:162)
>         at hudson.model.Queue.save(Queue.java:344)
>         at hudson.model.Hudson.cleanUp(Hudson.java:2453)
>         at hudson.lifecycle.UnixLifecycle.restart(UnixLifecycle.java:66)
>         at hudson.model.Hudson$18.run(Hudson.java:3150)
> Caused by: java.io.IOException: Permission denied
>         at java.io.UnixFileSystem.createFileExclusively(Native Method)
>         at java.io.File.checkAndCreate(File.java:1716)
>         at java.io.File.createTempFile(File.java:1804)
>         at hudson.util.AtomicFileWriter.<init>(AtomicFileWriter.java:65)
>         ... 6 more
>
> Furthermore, the /var/lib/jenkins/queue.xml file does not exist. The file
> that is there is called queue.xml.bak - I have no idea if this is relevant
> or not.

Three suggestions (hopefully not to obvious ;-)):
- Check the partition is not full.
- Check wether the owner of /var/lib/jenkins is the user running jenkins.
- Check wether the partition is not mounted readonly.

Regards
Mirko
--
http://illegalstateexception.blogspot.com/
https://github.com/mfriedenhagen/

Glen Millard

May 16, 2011, 4:44:49 PM5/16/11
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com, Mirko Friedenhagen
Three suggestions (hopefully not to obvious ;-)):
- Check the partition is not full.
- Check wether the owner of /var/lib/jenkins is the user running jenkins.
- Check wether the partition is not mounted readonly.

Yes, the partition is not full.
The owner is the jenkins user
The partition is mounted read/write

I did actually check all of those things.

Glen

GlenM

May 19, 2011, 10:14:25 AM5/19/11
to Jenkins Users
Well, I am a ding-bat - somehow during the plug-in install process, it
changed the permissions/ownership back to teh default user (jenkins)

For our application, we needed it to run under a different username.

So, not sure how this happened. However it is fixed-t-ted and I am
happy.

Cheers