Jenkins Perforce plugin error: Perforce password (P4PASSWD) invalid or unset

Alon Herbst

Jul 15, 2013, 10:42:56 AM7/15/13
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
We have a Jenkins 1.522 server. We need an SCM integration with Perforce. In order to connect Jenkins to the Perforce repository we deployed the Perforce plugin in Jenkins, version1.3.24.
We configured a single Perforce installation to point on an existing installation of perforce 12.1. See: Perforce installations.JPG
We created a new job and configured it to use Perforce. The settings appear in the  attached Jenkins job configuration.jpg.
For some reason, the job fails to check out the code due to some issue with password: Perforce password (P4PASSWD) invalid or unset. Full console output is attached in the end.
I tried to use the put my regular password and a perforce login ticket in the Password property but did get any progress.
Do you have any suggestions on what is wrong here? Any other methods to integrate Perforce and Jenkins?

Here is the full console output:

Building remotely on vin-slave2-orch in workspace /home/jenkins/vin-slave2-orch-root/workspace/XXX-api-adapter-ob
Using remote perforce client: XXX-api-adapter-ob-workspace-501763112
[XXX-api-adapter-ob] $ /build/toolchain/lin64/perforce-r12.1/p4 workspace -o XXX-api-adapter-ob-workspace-501763112
[XXX-api-adapter-ob] $ /build/toolchain/lin64/perforce-r12.1/p4 login -a -p
[XXX-api-adapter-ob] $ /usr/bin/p4 login -a -p
[XXX-api-adapter-ob] $ /build/toolchain/lin64/perforce-r12.1/p4 workspace -o XXX-api-adapter-ob-workspace-501763112
Caught exception communicating with perforce. Perforce password (P4PASSWD) invalid or unset.com.tek42.perforce.PerforceException: Perforce password (P4PASSWD) invalid or unset.
 at com.tek42.perforce.parse.AbstractPerforceTemplate.getPerforceResponse(AbstractPerforceTemplate.java:385)
 at com.tek42.perforce.parse.AbstractPerforceTemplate.getPerforceResponse(AbstractPerforceTemplate.java:294)
 at com.tek42.perforce.parse.Workspaces.getWorkspace(Workspaces.java:61)
 at hudson.plugins.perforce.PerforceSCM.getPerforceWorkspace(PerforceSCM.java:1503)
 at hudson.plugins.perforce.PerforceSCM.getPerforceWorkspace(PerforceSCM.java:1464)
 at hudson.plugins.perforce.PerforceSCM.checkout(PerforceSCM.java:809)
 at hudson.model.AbstractProject.checkout(AbstractProject.java:1387)
 at hudson.model.AbstractBuild$AbstractBuildExecution.defaultCheckout(AbstractBuild.java:676)
 at jenkins.scm.SCMCheckoutStrategy.checkout(SCMCheckoutStrategy.java:88)
 at hudson.model.AbstractBuild$AbstractBuildExecution.run(AbstractBuild.java:581)
 at hudson.model.Run.execute(Run.java:1593)
 at hudson.model.FreeStyleBuild.run(FreeStyleBuild.java:46)
 at hudson.model.ResourceController.execute(ResourceController.java:88)
 at hudson.model.Executor.run(Executor.java:247)
ERROR: Unable to communicate with perforce. Perforce password (P4PASSWD) invalid or unset.
Perforce installations.JPG
Jenkins job configuration.jpg

mark_k...@symantec.com

Jul 15, 2013, 3:25:46 PM7/15/13
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
We have been using the Perforce plugin for quite some time and usually when I see that error it is because the password is not correct.  I am using a slightly older version of the plugin (1.3.19).  You may try to check the box to expose the P4PASSWD in the environment and then check to see if it is getting set properly.  You may also want to check the P4TICKET in the environment and make sure it is valid.

Mark

Mishael Kim

Jul 15, 2013, 8:43:48 PM7/15/13
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
having a valid ticket on the machine and using the ticket instead of the password works well for me.

David Rabinowitz

Sep 30, 2014, 8:00:24 AM9/30/14
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, p4 is run by the maven release plugin, which in turn run by Jenkins. If I run mvn release directly it works fine.

David