Unable to determine where the build failed

cchen

Jun 28, 2012, 5:16:28 PM6/28/12
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hey folks,

Using jenkins to build a scala project via maven, and I am having trouble to determine how builds are failing at times.  Sometimes, there is no compile error, no test failure and everything seemed to succeed, but jenkins says it failed.

So I am hoping to understand how Jenkins determine a build has failed, as well as the best practices that you use.

Thanks,

Chris

Andrey Myatlyuk

Jun 28, 2012, 7:30:51 PM6/28/12
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Chris,

What do you see in the console output for the job?

Andrey

cchen

Jun 28, 2012, 10:07:14 PM6/28/12
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Andrey.  Actually the problem is only with the individual log files from the module build.  At the end of the whole build, the log will show all the errors from all modules.

Our build is configured to run to the end even one module fails, which I think should be changed.  But outside of that, is there anything we can do to have the error in module build log files as well.

One example error is the jvm crash below

test failed: The forked VM terminated without saying properly goodbye. VM crash or System.exit called ?
cause : Execution default-test of goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin:2.12:test failed: The forked VM terminated without saying properly goodbye. VM crash or System.exit called ?
Stack trace :
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin:2.12:test (default-test) on project macaw-core: Execution default-test of goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin:2.12:test failed: The forked VM terminated without saying properly goodbye. VM crash or System.exit called ?
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:225)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:153)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:145)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleModuleBuilder.buildProject(LifecycleModuleBuilder.java:84)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleModuleBuilder.buildProject(LifecycleModuleBuilder.java:59)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleStarter.singleThreadedBuild(LifecycleStarter.java:183)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleStarter.execute(LifecycleStarter.java:161)
	at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:320)
	at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:156)
	at org.jvnet.hudson.maven3.launcher.Maven3Launcher.main(Maven3Launcher.java:79)
	at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.launchStandard(Launcher.java:329)
	at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:239)
	at org.jvnet.hudson.maven3.agent.Maven3Main.launch(Maven3Main.java:158)
	at hudson.maven.Maven3Builder.call(Maven3Builder.java:104)
	at hudson.maven.Maven3Builder.call(Maven3Builder.java:70)
	at hudson.remoting.UserRequest.perform(UserRequest.java:118)
	at hudson.remoting.UserRequest.perform(UserRequest.java:48)
	at hudson.remoting.Request$2.run(Request.java:287)
	at hudson.remoting.InterceptingExecutorService$1.call(InterceptingExecutorService.java:72)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

Kiro jnr

Sep 24, 2014, 7:06:28 AM9/24/14
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hi cchen,

Did you managed to resolve this issue. I am currently experiencing same issue.

Regards

Ahmed