Jenkins bug JENKINS-12235 - suggestions please

David Aldrich

Jan 24, 2014, 8:37:24 AM1/24/14
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hi

One of our users writes:

Bug https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-12235 is now seriously hampering our uptake of Jenkins. Our builds are very unreliable, to the point where we can't really use Jenkins for any critical regression testing or compilations because they too often fail to complete.

Here's an example of the error:

hudson.util.IOException2: remote file operation failed: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\hudson4764599265328173415.bat at hudson.remoting.Channel@10c9bb8:rsds107
at hudson.FilePath.act(FilePath.java:912)
at hudson.FilePath.act(FilePath.java:889)
at hudson.FilePath.delete(FilePath.java:1307)
at hudson.tasks.CommandInterpreter.perform(CommandInterpreter.java:101)

This failure seems to only affect jobs on Windows slaves (running Win 7 Prof 64-bit). Our Linux slaves seem to be more reliable. Jenkins master runs on Linux.

JENKINS-12235 has a long discussion but no conclusion. Please can anyone suggest how we can resolve this? It would be a shame if we lose our affected users.

Best regards

David

Stephen Connolly

Jan 24, 2014, 8:47:00 AM1/24/14
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
From what I can see from the discussion, it sounds like the windows forked process gets "picked up" as terminated if it is not sending output back to the Jenkins slave process at a regular pace... if that were to happen, the Jenkins slave process would assume that the script used to execute the scripted commands has completed, hence it would try to delete the script (as a tidy up) and when that fails, the job will then blow up (as the script is still in use by the commands that are running in the background... so windows will keep the file as locked)

A lot of people have been faffing around looking at the ssh channel stuff... this sounds more like a process launcher issue rather than an ssh channel issue.

David

David Aldrich

Jan 24, 2014, 9:00:14 AM1/24/14
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

Hi Stephen

Thanks for looking at this.  I don’t know what to do with the information you gave, but would be grateful if any of the experts can follow it up.

Best regards

David

Stephen Connolly

Jan 24, 2014, 9:01:03 AM1/24/14
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
From the stack trace, you are likely running on a version of Jenkins that does not include the extra diagnostics against JENKINS-5073 (most likely the root cause) which were added in this commit: https://github.com/jenkinsci/jenkins/commit/1b22559581abf87344c57ac0dcf21d1612f2c80b

So the real cause is likely to be being masked.

David Aldrich

Jan 24, 2014, 9:06:45 AM1/24/14
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

Hi Stephen

We are running LTS 1.532.1 (the latest LTS).  What should I do to add the extra diagnostics please?  Should I leave LTS and go for the latest development release?

Best regards

David

Jan 24, 2014, 9:21:54 AM1/24/14
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
You might want to try anything from 1.533 onwards... I'm not saying the issue is fixed... just that those versions are at least not hiding the next link in the chain towards the root cause.

David Aldrich

Jan 24, 2014, 9:25:37 AM1/24/14
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

Hi Stephen

Thanks for your advice.  I will try a later version and see what that shows up.