Jenkins failing to load after plugin update

Rich Sloan

May 16, 2016, 12:34:26 PM5/16/16
to Jenkins Users
I updated some plugins and now when I start Jenkins I get the following on start. I attached the err.log from the plugin install and the subsequent errors. I did run a backup a couple of days ago, but I am unclear on how to restore it without the GUI. I am running Windows 2008 R2 and Jenkins is running on Java 1.8.0_66

hudson.util.HudsonFailedToLoad: org.jvnet.hudson.reactor.ReactorException: java.lang.Error: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
	at hudson.WebAppMain$3.run(WebAppMain.java:237)
Caused by: org.jvnet.hudson.reactor.ReactorException: java.lang.Error: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
	at org.jvnet.hudson.reactor.Reactor.execute(Reactor.java:269)
	at jenkins.InitReactorRunner.run(InitReactorRunner.java:44)
	at jenkins.model.Jenkins.executeReactor(Jenkins.java:936)
	at jenkins.model.Jenkins.<init>(Jenkins.java:817)
	at hudson.model.Hudson.<init>(Hudson.java:83)
	at hudson.model.Hudson.<init>(Hudson.java:79)
	at hudson.WebAppMain$3.run(WebAppMain.java:225)
Caused by: java.lang.Error: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
	at hudson.init.TaskMethodFinder.invoke(TaskMethodFinder.java:110)
	at hudson.init.TaskMethodFinder$TaskImpl.run(TaskMethodFinder.java:176)
	at org.jvnet.hudson.reactor.Reactor.runTask(Reactor.java:282)
	at jenkins.model.Jenkins$8.runTask(Jenkins.java:925)
	at org.jvnet.hudson.reactor.Reactor$2.run(Reactor.java:210)
	at org.jvnet.hudson.reactor.Reactor$Node.run(Reactor.java:117)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
	at hudson.init.TaskMethodFinder.invoke(TaskMethodFinder.java:106)
	... 8 more
Caused by: java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0, Size: 0
	at java.util.ArrayList.rangeCheck(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.ArrayList.get(Unknown Source)
	at hudson.ExtensionList.get(ExtensionList.java:171)
	at hudson.PluginManager$PluginUpdateMonitor.getInstance(PluginManager.java:1347)
	at hudson.maven.PluginImpl.init(PluginImpl.java:58)
	... 13 more
jenkins.err.log

t3knoid

May 16, 2016, 1:21:57 PM5/16/16
to Jenkins Users
I am running into the same error after updating plugins. Any insight on what to try to get around this issue?

Rich Sloan

May 16, 2016, 2:15:14 PM5/16/16
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
I ended up replacing the plugin directory and all the plugin xmls with my backup from a few days ago. This allowed Jenkins to start up. I am going to hold off updating any plugins for a while.

t3knoid

May 16, 2016, 2:21:37 PM5/16/16
to Jenkins Users
The problem appears to be a newer version of the Build Graph View Plugin (v1.3):

https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Build+Graph+View+Plugin

I disabled this plugin by adding a .disabled extension to buildgraph-view.jpi file. Jenkins is now able to initialize the GUI.

I am running Jenkins 1.651.1 with JRE 1.7.80.

Mark Waite

May 16, 2016, 3:02:35 PM5/16/16
to Jenkins Users
Thanks very much for noting that!  The same work around fixed my problem as well.

Mark Waite

John Mellor

May 16, 2016, 3:57:55 PM5/16/16
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

I reported the build-graph-view bug crashing an updated Jenkins on Friday, and have the same fix as Mark Waite and yourself have done.

See https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-34803?filter=-2 for details.  Kenny7 Wang has also commented in there that it also crashes Jenkins 2.1 and 2.4.