remote file operation failed due to NoClassDefFoundError SVNClientManager

Khai Do

Nov 1, 2011, 5:15:43 PM11/1/11
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hello, I need help figuring out why I'm getting a
"java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
Lorg/tmatesoft/svn/core/wc/SVNClientManager".

My Environment:
1. jenkins 1.4.3.5 master running on Centos Linux in a Tomcat6 container.
attached is image of the jenkins plugins that i have installed.
2. jobs setup to checkout from SVN repository
3. windows xp slave running as a service

I've seen the error above, but I've also seen the same operation failed
error with message "Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/tmatesoft/svn/core/internal/wc/SVNFileListUtil".

I'm not sure this has anything to do with Subversion because the error
occurs before the jenkin slave even attempts to checkout files from
subversion. It also seems to fail randomly. For example the first couple
of builds will work just fine after starting the jenkins master. however
after a few builds it starts choking with the remote file operation failure
message again. I've only been able to get the build working again by
restarting the master. Restarting the slave only will not restore build
operation. This occurs on bothe windows and linux slaves, but seems to
happen more often on windows.

Has anybody else encountered this type of problem? Any help would be
appreciated.

http://jenkins.361315.n4.nabble.com/file/n3965486/image.jpg

here's the full exception..

Building remotely on win7-x64-slave
hudson.util.IOException2: remote file operation failed:
c:\jenkins\workspace\octane-ltk-trunk at
hudson.remoting.Channel@1a41381:win7-x64-slave
at hudson.FilePath.act(FilePath.java:781)
at hudson.FilePath.act(FilePath.java:767)
at hudson.scm.SubversionSCM.checkout(SubversionSCM.java:705)
at hudson.scm.SubversionSCM.checkout(SubversionSCM.java:654)
at hudson.model.AbstractProject.checkout(AbstractProject.java:1193)
at
hudson.model.AbstractBuild$AbstractRunner.checkout(AbstractBuild.java:567)
at hudson.model.AbstractBuild$AbstractRunner.run(AbstractBuild.java:455)
at hudson.model.Run.run(Run.java:1404)
at hudson.matrix.MatrixBuild.run(MatrixBuild.java:220)
at hudson.model.ResourceController.execute(ResourceController.java:88)
at hudson.model.Executor.run(Executor.java:230)
at hudson.model.OneOffExecutor.run(OneOffExecutor.java:66)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Remote call on win7-x64-slave failed
at hudson.remoting.Channel.call(Channel.java:690)
at hudson.FilePath.act(FilePath.java:774)
... 11 more
Lorg/tmatesoft/svn/core/wc/SVNClientManager;
at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredFields0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredFields(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredField(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectStreamClass.getDeclaredSUID(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectStreamClass.access$700(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectStreamClass$2.run(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectStreamClass.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectStreamClass.lookup(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectStreamClass.initNonProxy(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readNonProxyDesc(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readClassDesc(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readNonProxyDesc(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readClassDesc(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readOrdinaryObject(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.defaultReadFields(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readSerialData(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readOrdinaryObject(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject(Unknown Source)
at hudson.remoting.UserRequest.deserialize(UserRequest.java:182)
at hudson.remoting.UserRequest.perform(UserRequest.java:98)
at hudson.remoting.UserRequest.perform(UserRequest.java:48)
at hudson.remoting.Request$2.run(Request.java:270)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)
at hudson.remoting.Engine$1$1.run(Engine.java:58)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException
at
hudson.remoting.RemoteClassLoader$ClassLoaderProxy.fetch(RemoteClassLoader.java:403)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor933.invoke(Unknown Source)
at
at
hudson.remoting.RemoteInvocationHandler$RPCRequest.perform(RemoteInvocationHandler.java:274)
at hudson.remoting.Request$2.run(Request.java:287)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:441)
at
at
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
Finished: FAILURE

Sami Tikka

Nov 5, 2011, 3:02:38 AM11/5/11
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Not sure if this will fix your problem, but you do know that you need to update the slave.jar yourself when you upgrade Jenkins if the slave type is JNLP?

-- Sami

Khai Do

Nov 7, 2011, 3:54:28 PM11/7/11
to Jenkins Users
Thanks. I thought Jenkins would handle slave upgrades automatically.
What about if you use one of the other options, SSH or Windows
Service? In any case I thought that might be one of the problems so I
definitely made sure I manually upgraded the slave to match but was
still getting this problem. I have since moved to the latest jenkins
LTS version 1.409.2 and this problem seems to have gone away.

On Nov 4, 11:02 pm, Sami Tikka <sjti...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not sure if this will fix your problem, but you do know that you need to update the slave.jar yourself when you upgrade Jenkins if the slave type is JNLP?
>
> -- Sami

Sami Tikka

Nov 8, 2011, 6:49:49 PM11/8/11
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Actually, now I think my memory played a trick on me. JNLP slaves did upgrade automatically.

All the slave types upgrade automatically except the "launch command on master" type. Sorry for the confusion.

-- Sami

Khai Do

Nov 9, 2011, 12:45:17 PM11/9/11
to Jenkins Users
Actually I only thought this problem went away. It came back after a
couple of days after installing ver 1.409.2. Now none of my slaves
seems to work anymore even after rebooting the master. Hope someone
can help here.