Old bugs / plugin maintenance / ownership

antgel

Apr 25, 2018, 9:16:31 AM4/25/18
to Jenkins Users
Hi all,

From the beginning, let me say that Jenkins is a wonderful thing, and the latest developments (Blue Ocean / Pipeline etc) are essential and useful tools. So this is definitely not meant as a rant.

It's not uncommon when browsing JIRA, to find really old issues that are still open, and plugins that are unmaintained, with open issues, PRs, and requests for releases.

I don't have a long list, I don't make a note whenever these things happen, but:
In the first instance, I put the bug back to Unassigned. In the second, I added a comment, despite the large number of people who've been tagged with only one response. Again, these are isolated incidents, but the "smell" is familiar.

So, how can we improve this? Who "owns" the ecosystem, and can make things happen? I Cc'd @jenkinsadmin in GitHub, but I don't know what that means. JIRA-wise, I have no idea how to bring things to the attention of the decision-makers.

Antony

Slide

Apr 25, 2018, 9:44:22 AM4/25/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Last year I had proposed a big triage team that would go through jira regularly and try to reproduce things, add details, etc, but life happened and I didn't get it kicked off. I am still interested in doing it and will try to get it up and running soon to help. If you are interested in helping, let me know.

Olivier Vernin

Apr 25, 2018, 10:08:01 AM4/25/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
It's a good idea and there were some discussions to organise such initiatives.
You should have a look to JEP-004 which could help to bootstrap this.

Last year I had proposed a big triage team that would go through jira regularly and try to reproduce things, add details, etc, but life happened and I didn't get it kicked off. I am still interested in doing it and will try to get it up and running soon to help. If you are interested in helping, let me know.
On Wed, Apr 25, 2018, 06:16 antgel <antony....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

From the beginning, let me say that Jenkins is a wonderful thing, and the latest developments (Blue Ocean / Pipeline etc) are essential and useful tools. So this is definitely not meant as a rant.

It's not uncommon when browsing JIRA, to find really old issues that are still open, and plugins that are unmaintained, with open issues, PRs, and requests for releases.

I don't have a long list, I don't make a note whenever these things happen, but:
In the first instance, I put the bug back to Unassigned. In the second, I added a comment, despite the large number of people who've been tagged with only one response. Again, these are isolated incidents, but the "smell" is familiar.

So, how can we improve this? Who "owns" the ecosystem, and can make things happen? I Cc'd @jenkinsadmin in GitHub, but I don't know what that means. JIRA-wise, I have no idea how to bring things to the attention of the decision-makers.

Antony

Mark Waite

Apr 25, 2018, 11:00:29 AM4/25/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
While the special interest groups will certainly help and an organized effort will certainly help, it seems to me that Antony can make an immediate difference by reviewing bugs and assisting in general.

The Jenkins project is run by volunteers.  Those volunteers are passionate about Jenkins and continuous integration.  I think it is more generally more effective to add your efforts to the existing pool of helpers than to asl the "owners of the ecosystem" to make something happen.  In this case, if you're worried that bugs aren't being reviewed, please jump right in and help review bugs.

I love the Jenkins project because great things happen.  I am regularly amazed at the impressive number of people that benefit from Jenkins and the smaller number of people that actively help the project do those great things.  Any helping hand is welcomed and encouraged.  I've learned many new things by helping the Jenkins project.

If you have 15 minutes, review a bug report, add your comments, and help the project.  If enough of us do that, the project will be better

If you are passionate about a particular area of software development, there is probably a way (small or large) that you can help the Jenkins project.  The project regularly benefits from doc review, doc submission, bug review, bug submission, bug fixes, art creation, blog posts, unit tests, integration tests, performance tests, release candidate testing, pull request evaluation, and more.

Mark Waite

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 8:07 AM Olivier Vernin <vern...@gmail.com> wrote:
It's a good idea and there were some discussions to organise such initiatives.
You should have a look to JEP-004 which could help to bootstrap this.
Last year I had proposed a big triage team that would go through jira regularly and try to reproduce things, add details, etc, but life happened and I didn't get it kicked off. I am still interested in doing it and will try to get it up and running soon to help. If you are interested in helping, let me know.
On Wed, Apr 25, 2018, 06:16 antgel <antony....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

From the beginning, let me say that Jenkins is a wonderful thing, and the latest developments (Blue Ocean / Pipeline etc) are essential and useful tools. So this is definitely not meant as a rant.