WARNING: Failed to advertise the service to DNS multi-cast

SamL

Apr 13, 2012, 1:02:52 PM4/13/12
to Jenkins Users
Hello Folks.

I just installed Jenkins ver. 1.459 on a CentOS 6 machine and I am
getting the following WARNING during start up.

Does anyone know what this mean and is it something I should be
concern about?

Does anyone know what this w
WARNING: Failed to advertise the service to DNS multi-cast
java.net.MalformedURLException
at java.net.URL.<init>(URL.java:617)
at java.net.URL.<init>(URL.java:480)
at java.net.URL.<init>(URL.java:429)
at hudson.DNSMultiCast.<init>(DNSMultiCast.java:45)
at jenkins.model.Jenkins.<init>(Jenkins.java:787)
at hudson.model.Hudson.<init>(Hudson.java:81)
at hudson.model.Hudson.<init>(Hudson.java:77)
at hudson.WebAppMain$2.run(WebAppMain.java:217)
at java.net.URL.<init>(URL.java:522)
... 7 more
Apr 13, 2012 12:25:26 AM hudson.WebAppMain$2 run
INFO: Jenkins is fully up and running

Sami Tikka

Apr 13, 2012, 5:56:27 PM4/13/12
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
I'm afraid that might be caused by the recent fix I made to Jenkins mDNS advertisement.

It almost seems like Jenkins is unable to parse its own address. What do you have set as Jenkins' own address in Manage Jenkins / Configure system? Would you mind reporting the bug into issues.jenkins-ci.org?

Frankly I do not know if the exception causes something else to be skipped in the startup.

-- Sami

SamL

Apr 16, 2012, 2:11:18 PM4/16/12
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hello Sami,

Thank you very much for the update and follow-up.

So this issue is not happening for me anymore but I am not sure why.

I have tried to things:
   The first one was to start Jenkins with the following option  -Dhudson.DNSMultiCast.disabled=true but this did not seem to have any effects because I  would see the issue when I restarted Jenkins
Then I moved on to configured mail did that restarted Jenkins and I no longer saw the issue.

I have open an issue per your request.
My Jenkins address is my ip address

Shane

Apr 16, 2012, 2:28:58 PM4/16/12
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

I don't think I did anything different but it stopped happening for me after upgrading to 1.460 (Windows). fyi