Unreadable data for build wrappers

Morten Gregersen

Aug 23, 2016, 9:50:18 AM8/23/16
to Jenkins Users
We've been using the RVM and ANSI color plugins for several months now. Suddenly they stopped working after a restart of Jenkins.

We generate new jobs from a config.xml template:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<project>
  <actions/>
  <description></description>
  <displayName>DISPLAY_NAME</displayName>
  <keepDependencies>false</keepDependencies>
  <properties/>
  <scm class="hudson.plugins.git.GitSCM" plugin="g...@2.5.3">
    <configVersion>2</configVersion>
    <userRemoteConfigs>
      <hudson.plugins.git.UserRemoteConfig>
        <url>https://server/my_repo.git</url>
        <credentialsId>Nice GUUID</credentialsId>
      </hudson.plugins.git.UserRemoteConfig>
    </userRemoteConfigs>
    <branches>
      <hudson.plugins.git.BranchSpec>
        <name>*/master</name>
      </hudson.plugins.git.BranchSpec>
    </branches>
    <doGenerateSubmoduleConfigurations>false</doGenerateSubmoduleConfigurations>
    <submoduleCfg class="list"/>
    <extensions/>
  </scm>
  <canRoam>true</canRoam>
  <disabled>false</disabled>
  <blockBuildWhenDownstreamBuilding>false</blockBuildWhenDownstreamBuilding>
  <blockBuildWhenUpstreamBuilding>false</blockBuildWhenUpstreamBuilding>
  <triggers>
    <hudson.triggers.TimerTrigger>
      <spec>*/10 5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,0,1 * * *</spec>
    </hudson.triggers.TimerTrigger>
  </triggers>
  <concurrentBuild>false</concurrentBuild>
  <builders>
    <hudson.tasks.Shell>
      <command>./my_script.rb PRODUCT PLATFORM</command>
    </hudson.tasks.Shell>
  </builders>
  <publishers>
    <hudson.tasks.Mailer plugin="mai...@1.17">
      <recipients>te...@example.com</recipients>
      <dontNotifyEveryUnstableBuild>false</dontNotifyEveryUnstableBuild>
      <sendToIndividuals>false</sendToIndividuals>
    </hudson.tasks.Mailer>
  </publishers>
  <buildWrappers>
    <hudson.plugins.ansicolor.AnsiColorBuildWrapper plugin="ansi...@0.4.2">
      <colorMapName>xterm</colorMapName>
    </hudson.plugins.ansicolor.AnsiColorBuildWrapper>
    <ruby-proxy-object>
      <ruby-object ruby-class="Jenkins::Tasks::BuildWrapperProxy" pluginid="rvm">
        <pluginid pluginid="rvm" ruby-class="String">rvm</pluginid>
        <object ruby-class="RvmWrapper" pluginid="rvm">
          <impl pluginid="rvm" ruby-class="String">2.3.0</impl>
        </object>
      </ruby-object>
    </ruby-proxy-object>
  </buildWrappers>
</project>

When I Reload Configuration from Disk in Manage Jenkins I get a You have data stored in an older format and/or unreadable data.

In the Manage Old Data I see the following Unreadable Data:
TypeNameError
hudson.model.FreeStyleProjectMyJobNoSuchMethodError: org.jruby.RubyClass.getVariableAccessorForWrite(Ljava/lang/String;)Lorg/jruby/RubyClass$VariableAccessor;, MissingFieldException: No field 'impl' found in class 'java.lang.Object', InstantiationError: null

In the job configuration the checkmark and value for Color ANSI Console Output and Run the build in a RVM-managed environment are empty and not set.

I tried to discard the unreadable data. Then I tick on the two properties and set the value to the same as in the config.xml and save. Then the config.xml is exactly the same as before I discarded the unreadable data.

When I Reload Configuration from Disk in Manage Jenkins I get a the You have data stored in an older format and/or unreadable data again.

How do I get Jenkins to read my configuration correctly again?

I use Jenkins 2.19 via Jenkins.app on Mac OS X 10.11.6 with the newest RVM and ANSI color plugins.

Gavin Williams

Aug 23, 2016, 10:41:51 AM8/23/16
to Jenkins Users
Not that it helps you Morten, but I've just been hit by the same issue with RVM and Build-Name-Setter.

Following a restart, the UI and Jenkins dis-regards any config settings, even though the build config.xml looks correct...

I really don't want to have to fettle 20+ jobs every time I have to restart Jenkins...

Anyone have any ideas?

Env is Jenkins 2.7.2 with latest plugins across the board.

Cheers
Gavin

Gavin Williams

Aug 24, 2016, 8:22:19 AM8/24/16
to Jenkins Users
Just to update, after some more googling and debugging, I came across: JENKINS-37422

The suggestion there is to roll the 'ruby-runtime' plugin back to v0.12.

I gave that a go, and like magic all my broken builds have started working again following a restart... :D
I didn't even need to go in and re-set the RVM build envs...

HTH

Gav

Morten Gregersen

Aug 26, 2016, 2:07:40 AM8/26/16
to Jenkins Users
Thank you!

Downgrading 'ruby-runtime' to version 0.12 solved our problem.