How to upgrade when installed as Windows Service (automatic upgrade fails)

Carl Pritchett

Dec 1, 2010, 8:06:55 PM12/1/10
to Hudson Users
Hi,

I have hudson 1.330 installed as a windows service.

When I click "upgrade automatically" to 1.386 (which is weird as the
latest is 1.387) is fails with the following:

java.io.IOException: Installation of plugin from
http://updates.hudson-labs.org/download/war/1.386/hudson.war is not
allowed
at hudson.model.UpdateCenter
$UpdateCenterConfiguration.preValidate(UpdateCenter.java:660)
at hudson.model.UpdateCenter$DownloadJob._run(UpdateCenter.java:923)
at hudson.model.UpdateCenter$DownloadJob.run(UpdateCenter.java:909)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown
Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown
Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

So how do I manually upgrade with installed as a service (with out
having to recreate me jobs etc)?

Regards,
Carl

Lynn Lin

Dec 2, 2010, 2:04:09 AM12/2/10
to hudson...@googlegroups.com

update hudson.war manually

> Regards,
> Carl

Carl Pritchett

Dec 2, 2010, 6:03:16 AM12/2/10
to Hudson Users
There is no war - it is installed as a windows service. How would I
update manually? Do I explode the war over the top of the old
directory and drop the jobs directory and config back in?

Regards,
Carl.

On Dec 2, 6:04 pm, Lynn Lin <lynn.xin....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Carl Pritchett <carl.pritch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I have hudson 1.330 installed as a windows service.
>
> > When I click "upgrade automatically" to 1.386 (which is weird as the
> > latest is 1.387) is fails with the following:
>
> > java.io.IOException: Installation of plugin from
> >http://updates.hudson-labs.org/download/war/1.386/hudson.waris not

Yves Schumann

Dec 2, 2010, 6:50:23 AM12/2/10
to hudson...@googlegroups.com
Hello Carl

hudson...@googlegroups.com wrote on 02.12.2010 12:03:16:

> There is no war - it is installed as a windows service. How would I
> update manually? Do I explode the war over the top of the old
> directory and drop the jobs directory and config back in?

All my installations use the *.war file as their base, even the windows
service installations. The war file is located in the directory which you
configured during the service installation. Just replace the *.war file
there and restart the service. It will be extracted automatically. Works
pretty nice and I've never spot any problems.

Kind regards,

Yves Schumann
R&D IT-Koordinator
Security Communication
______________________________
Ascom (Schweiz) AG

vtintillier

Dec 2, 2010, 7:18:18 AM12/2/10
to hudson...@googlegroups.com
An I guess it does not work because your current version is too old? Because automatic update works fine for me using a service. I just have to restart the service myself once update is done in the UI.

Vivien

Carl Pritchett

Dec 2, 2010, 6:42:07 PM12/2/10
to Hudson Users
Hi,

> > All my installations use the *.war file as their base, even the windows
> > service installations. The war file is located in the directory which you
> > configured during the service installation. Just replace the *.war file
> > there and restart the service. It will be extracted automatically. Works
> > pretty nice and I've never spot any problems.

This worked perfectly. Thank you all for your responses.