mapped drive fails for Remote FS root when connecting to node

grayaii

Jan 25, 2012, 3:07:02 PM1/25/12
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
On my windows slave, I have "X:" mapped to "c:\mybuilds\jenkins\buildmaster".

The slave is configured to use "c:\mybuilds\jenkins\buildmaster" as its
*Remote FS root *and all is fine. Builds are OK.

But when I change the *Remote FS root * to point to "X:", Jenkins fails to
connect to the node.
Why is that? It exists, it has all the file permissions to copy, and I don't
see any problems.

Here is the error:

[01/25/12 14:52:17] [SSH] Copying latest slave.jar...
hudson.util.IOException2: Could not copy slave.jar to slave
at hudson.plugins.sshslaves.SSHLauncher.copySlaveJar(SSHLauncher.java:426)
at hudson.plugins.sshslaves.SSHLauncher.launch(SSHLauncher.java:206)
at hudson.slaves.SlaveComputer$1.call(SlaveComputer.java:199)
at
at
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
Caused by: hudson.util.IOException2: *Could not copy slave.jar to
'x:/slave.jar' on slave*
at hudson.plugins.sshslaves.SSHLauncher.copySlaveJar(SSHLauncher.java:423)
... 7 more
Caused by: com.trilead.ssh2.SFTPException: No such file
(SSH_FX_NO_SUCH_FILE: A reference was made to a file which does not exist.)
at com.trilead.ssh2.SFTPv3Client.openFile(SFTPv3Client.java:1202)
at com.trilead.ssh2.SFTPv3Client.createFile(SFTPv3Client.java:1075)
at com.trilead.ssh2.SFTPv3Client.createFile(SFTPv3Client.java:1056)
at hudson.plugins.sshslaves.SFTPClient.writeToFile(SFTPClient.java:70)
at hudson.plugins.sshslaves.SSHLauncher.copySlaveJar(SSHLauncher.java:417)
... 7 more
[01/25/12 14:52:17] [SSH] Connection closed.

Any ideas what's going on?

Nord, James

Jan 26, 2012, 4:19:41 AM1/26/12
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
A windows service does not have access to mapped drives - as they are per user session - this includes any remote access to that machine by using shares etc.
Just use a local drive or perhaps try a UNC path (but I'm not convinced that would work at this stage of the install - and I wouldn't recommend it even if it did for a variety of reasons.)

/James

Here is the error:

This message is confidential and intended only for the addressee. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the postm...@nds.com and delete it from your system as well as any copies. The content of e-mails as well as traffic data may be monitored by NDS for employment and security purposes. To protect the environment please do not print this e-mail unless necessary.

NDS Limited. Registered Office: One London Road, Staines, Middlesex, TW18 4EX, United Kingdom. A company registered in England and Wales. Registered no. 3080780. VAT no. GB 603 8808 40-00

grayaii

Jan 26, 2012, 8:25:18 AM1/26/12
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Before I read your message I tried various values for "Remote FS root"
(mapping a drive with SUBST, and mapping a drive with NET USE, (there is a
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4157904/how-to-get-a-list-of-local-drives-without-substituted-ones-in-python-windows
difference on how windows treats these 2 type of mapped drives.)

But they both failed, like you suggested.

It is not impacting us too much, but we just found it odd that it was
failing.
Thanks for replying!