Old generation (heap size) continuous to trend up

Johan-Kees Vliek

Nov 16, 2017, 8:47:07 AM11/16/17
to Jenkins Users
Hi,

Since recently (mid-October) we're having issues with Jenkins, and Garbage Collection in particular. Before this date the service was running fine for about 2 months. From what we see the old generation heap size continuous to grow, up to the max size of 8GB. Of course this is free size after the Full GC has run. Since it is maxing out after a couple days, the Full GC continuously runs, trying to free memory. This causes the load to go up on the system, making it unavailable. Only workaround right now, is to restart the application every 2 days.

Some details about our setup:
Jenkins version: 2.60.2
Tomcat: 6.0.24
Java: 1.8.0.91
OS: RHEL 6.9
JVM Options:  -XX:+AlwaysPreTouch -server -Dcatalina.ext.dirs=/usr/share/tomcat6/lib:/usr/share/tomcat6/lib -DHUDSON_HOME=/var/hudson/master -Xmx12g -Xms8g -Djava.io.tmpdir=/var/hudson/tmp -Dhudson.model.DirectoryBrowserSupport.CSP=  -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCDateStamps -Xloggc:/var/log/tomcat6/gc.log -XX:+UseGCLogFileRotation -XX:GCLogFileSize=10m -XX:NumberOfGCLogFiles=10 -XX:+UseParallelGC -XX:+UseParallelOldGC -XX:+UseAdaptiveSizePolicy

Is there a known issue with Jenkins (v2.60.2), or does anyone have suggestions what to check/change to resolve this issue?TIA.

Kind regards,

Johan-Kees
jenkins-gc.png

Daniel Beck

Nov 16, 2017, 9:29:14 AM11/16/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

> On 16. Nov 2017, at 14:40, Johan-Kees Vliek <johan.ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Is there a known issue with Jenkins (v2.60.2), or does anyone have suggestions what to check/change to resolve this issue?TIA.

If you're using Groovy a lot, 2.73.x includes an update fixing memory-related problems as documented on https://jenkins.io/doc/upgrade-guide/2.73/#groovy-2-4-11-upgrade

Johan-Kees Vliek

Nov 17, 2017, 5:44:24 AM11/17/17
to Jenkins Users
Thanks for the link. Checked it and related links. Looks like an upgrade is the only way to go forward...

Johan-Kees

Jan 15, 2018, 3:13:38 AM1/15/18
to Jenkins Users
Been a while, but I can confirm that upgrading all plug-ins and the application to v2.89.2, did resolve the issue.