Hudson slave terminates mid-job with SocketException

svisagie

Feb 22, 2011, 3:39:48 AM2/22/11
to Jenkins Users
I'm having a problem with a long-running job (roughly 4-5 hours) where
the slave terminates unexpectedly at different stages of the job. I'm
running the slave through a shell script that executes "java.exe -jar
slave.jar -jnlpUrl <url>"

In terms of logging I've had some difficulty trying to obtain the
stdout and/or stderr using pipe commands whereby the file is blank and
the slave just logs to the console window. Previously the process
started a new shell session which then closed after the slave
terminated, I've changed this and am currently waiting to see if I can
get more information. In the meantime, the only information in the
node log file on the host:

<===[HUDSON REMOTING CAPACITY]===>���Slave.jar version: 1.395
This is a Windows slave
Slave successfully connected and online
ERROR: Connection terminated
at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(Unknown Source)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream$PeekInputStream.peek(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream$BlockDataInputStream.peek(Unknown
Source)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream$BlockDataInputStream.peekByte(Unknown
Source)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject(Unknown Source)
at hudson.remoting.Channel$ReaderThread.run(Channel.java:947)

Thanks.

svisagie

Feb 22, 2011, 10:38:20 AM2/22/11
to Jenkins Users
This is the stack on the slave:

SEVERE: I/O error in channel channel
at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(Unknown Source)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream$PeekInputStream.peek(Unknown
Source)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream$BlockDataInputStream.peek(Unknown
Source)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream
$BlockDataInputStream.peekByte(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject(Unknown Source)
at hudson.remoting.Channel$ReaderThread.run(Channel.java:947)

These nodes are running on an ESXi host without any firewall or router
between them.

svisagie

svisagie

svisagie

svisagie

Feb 22, 2011, 10:36:49 AM2/22/11
to Jenkins Users
This is the error occuring on the slave:

SEVERE: I/O error in channel channel
at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(Unknown Source)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream$PeekInputStream.peek(Unknown
Source)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream$BlockDataInputStream.peek(Unknown
Source)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream
$BlockDataInputStream.peekByte(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject(Unknown Source)
at hudson.remoting.Channel$ReaderThread.run(Channel.java:947)

These machines are running on an ESXi host system with no router of
firewall between them.

Jminne

Feb 22, 2011, 11:35:01 AM2/22/11
to Jenkins Users

I have experienced periodic SocketTimeoutException when the jenkin's
master is on an ESXi host. After moving to a physical master the
problem went away. I am able to use esxi slaves though.
The root cause likely is a network connectivity problem, but that's
how I dealt with it.

-John

Swindells, Thomas

Feb 22, 2011, 11:08:38 AM2/22/11
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Posting the same stack trace 4 times is unlikely to make a positive difference in people responding!

Are you sure your network is healthy and doesn't suffer from glitches?

Thomas

This message is confidential and intended only for the addressee. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the postm...@nds.com and delete it from your system as well as any copies. The content of e-mails as well as traffic data may be monitored by NDS for employment and security purposes. To protect the environment please do not print this e-mail unless necessary.

NDS Limited. Registered Office: One London Road, Staines, Middlesex, TW18 4EX, United Kingdom. A company registered in England and Wales. Registered no. 3080780. VAT no. GB 603 8808 40-00

svisagie

Feb 23, 2011, 2:46:07 AM2/23/11
to Jenkins Users
Sorry about multiple posts, I submitted the reply but it didn't
display even after refreshing! Wasn't trying to push for a reply :)

Basically I'm trying to find out if it is network related and then I
can escalate it to the necessary department.

If other folks have experienced the same problem, will be great to
hear from you and how you resolved it.

Thanks, Steven.