Backup "Managed Scripts"

sam....@lookout.com

Nov 18, 2013, 7:31:42 PM11/18/13
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I've been searching everywhere, but what's the location of all the managed script files store onto the master node of Jenkins?  I would like to back it up.

I know I can backup everything under the default directory "/var/lib/jenkins", but it's not efficient because it contains build data which we don't want to store every one of them.

Does anyone know the exact default location of where this plugin store the scripts?

Daniel Beck

Nov 19, 2013, 1:03:45 AM11/19/13
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
You seem to have been searching everywhere... but the actual plugin source code. AFAICT from it, the scripts are stored in two XML files in Jenkins Home, buildstep-config-files.xml and org.jenkinsci.plugins.managedscripts.WinBatchConfig.WinBatchConfigProvider.xml (or similar).

sam....@lookout.com

Nov 19, 2013, 4:30:11 PM11/19/13
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com, m...@beckweb.net
Wow! Storing scripts in XML!?

I really hope they move to a git repo or something in the future, this doesn't seem right. Oh well. :-/

Slide

Nov 19, 2013, 5:29:43 PM11/19/13
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com, m...@beckweb.net
Most things are stored in XML for Jenkins configuration.

Ioannis Moutsatsos

Nov 16, 2017, 5:02:02 PM11/16/17
to Jenkins Users
In most recent versions of the plugin v2.16+ the scripts seem to be stored in JENKINS_HOME\org.jenkinsci.plugins.configfiles.GlobalConfigFiles.xml
I agree that the XML file storage seems unfortunate and probably not sustainable for a variety of reasons.

BioUno has published the R statistical language plugin and I was hoping that we would be able to maintain the R-scripts in a similar manner.
So the managed files plugin idea seems good but I think the implementation needs a new strategy.