Docker Slaves like plugin

Jacob Larsen

May 25, 2017, 6:08:23 PM5/25/17
to Jenkins Users
Does anybody know what will happen to the Docker Slaves plugin? It looks like development has halted when looking at commit activity. I took a look at the Dockins stuff, but it looks like that is just as dead. Does anybody know where I should look if I have these requirements:
* The jenkins slave does not run inside the build container (This is the main feature of Docker Slaves)
* Multiple docker hosts supported, selectable by label just like any other jenkins slave (Missing feature in Docker Slaves)
* Number of containers for each docker host can be limited (Feature in Docker Slaves that is not working)

Ideally, I imagine a setup where a jenkins slave can control a docker host on the same machine, possibly marked with slave labels like other special capabilities. Each dockerNode (or similar) will then take an executor on one of these slaves an start the job with the defined image. That image will then not need any jenkins-specific content, but can focus on just the stuff needed for that particular build. At the same time, the jenkins resource control ensures the load matches the capabilities of each docker host.

What would be the best approach to getting something like this? Does another plugin exist for this or would I need to throw myself into the plugin development? If Docker Slaves is indeed dead, I guess it could serve as a base for this.

/Jacob

Jacob Larsen

May 26, 2017, 3:33:29 PM5/26/17
to Jenkins Users
I found another plugin, CloudBees Docker Custom Build Environment plugin from same author. This plugin also looks abandoned and is marked for adoption, but it actually looks to be pretty close to what I need. It just lacks pipeline support from what I can tell. And possibly a way to define a named volume as jenkins home instead of a host mount in order to support a jenkins slave running in a sibling container.

Any advice?

/Jacob