Communication problem with slave is not notified by email

Rui Fernando Hayashi

Dec 3, 2013, 6:23:43 AM12/3/13
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
I've had some exceptions like this lately:

FATAL: hudson.remoting.RequestAbortedException: java.io.IOException: Unexpected termination of the channel
hudson.remoting.RequestAbortedException: hudson.remoting.RequestAbortedException: java.io.IOException: Unexpected termination of the channel
    at hudson.remoting.Request.call(Request.java:174)
    at hudson.remoting.Channel.call(Channel.java:672)
    at hudson.FilePath.act(FilePath.java:993)
    at org.jenkinsci.plugins.envinject.service.EnvironmentVariablesNodeLoader.gatherEnvironmentVariablesNode(EnvironmentVariablesNodeLoader.java:44)
    at org.jenkinsci.plugins.envinject.EnvInjectListener.loadEnvironmentVariablesNode(EnvInjectListener.java:81)
    at org.jenkinsci.plugins.envinject.EnvInjectListener.setUpEnvironment(EnvInjectListener.java:39)
    at hudson.model.AbstractBuild$AbstractBuildExecution.createLauncher(AbstractBuild.java:642)
    at hudson.model.AbstractBuild$AbstractBuildExecution.run(AbstractBuild.java:562)
    at hudson.model.Run.execute(Run.java:1575)
    at hudson.model.FreeStyleBuild.run(FreeStyleBuild.java:46)
    at hudson.model.ResourceController.execute(ResourceController.java:88)
    at hudson.model.Executor.run(Executor.java:237)
Caused by: hudson.remoting.RequestAbortedException: java.io.IOException: Unexpected termination of the channel
    at hudson.remoting.Request.abort(Request.java:299)
    at hudson.remoting.Channel.terminate(Channel.java:732)
    at hudson.remoting.SynchronousCommandTransport$ReaderThread.run(SynchronousCommandTransport.java:69)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Unexpected termination of the channel
    at hudson.remoting.SynchronousCommandTransport$ReaderThread.run(SynchronousCommandTransport.java:50)
Caused by: java.io.EOFException
    at java.io.ObjectInputStream$BlockDataInputStream.peekByte(ObjectInputStream.java:2553)
    at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(ObjectInputStream.java:1296)
    at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject(ObjectInputStream.java:350)
    at hudson.remoting.Command.readFrom(Command.java:92)
    at hudson.remoting.ClassicCommandTransport.read(ClassicCommandTransport.java:59)
    at hudson.remoting.SynchronousCommandTransport$ReaderThread.run(SynchronousCommandTransport.java:48)

It seems to be related to some networking problem between the master and the slave. If I try the job again, it runs perfectly 99% of the times.

The issue is that I don't get notified by email that the job failed. As the email notification is part of the job, and the master can't reach the slave to run the job, the notification part is not executed.

Is there any way I can set jenkins to notify me of cases like this?

Btw, in my scenario the slave is specific to that kind of job. So I can't rely on a solution that just send the job to another slave.

Tks

Rui

Rui Fernando Hayashi

Dec 4, 2013, 6:29:11 AM12/4/13
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
I've been having this issue quite frequently :( Maybe the best approach in this case would be to debug the network problem. But I don't have any idea on how to do that.

Any help is appreciated.

Tks

Ginga, Dick

Dec 4, 2013, 8:34:29 AM12/4/13
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

I had a problem with a MAC slave that went into sleep mode terminating the channel. I needed to disable that to keep the slave up.

Les Mikesell

Dec 4, 2013, 10:57:16 AM12/4/13
to jenkinsci-users
On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 7:34 AM, Ginga, Dick <Dick....@perkinelmer.com> wrote:

> I had a problem with a MAC slave that went into sleep mode terminating the
> channel. I needed to disable that to keep the slave up.

Macs have a command line program called 'caffeinate' that you can use
as a quick-fix for programs that can't disable sleeping themselves.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmi...@gmail.com