i am belove problem please help me

Shivaji Patne

Aug 25, 2016, 7:40:55 AM8/25/16
to Jenkins Users
how could i solve this problem ..while installing jenkins on mu ubuntu12.04

Setting up jenkins (2.19) ...
 * Starting Jenkins Continuous Integration Server jenkins                [fail]
invoke-rc.d: initscript jenkins, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing jenkins (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 7
 jenkins

Mark Waite

Aug 25, 2016, 8:19:43 AM8/25/16
to Jenkins Users
Use "java -version" to check that the java installation is at least Java 7.  The latest Jenkins requires at least Java 7.

Check that openjdk or Oracle Java are the java implementations, rather than gcj.  Jenkins does not run with gcj as the java implementation.

Ubuntu 12.04 is an older Linux release, nearing the end of its vendor provided support life (April 2017 will end support for it).  You might perform a test installation on a different computer running a newer Ubuntu version (like 14.04 or 16.04).

Mark Waite

Mark Waite

Aug 25, 2016, 8:21:56 AM8/25/16
to Jenkins Users
If you had Jenkins installed previously on that computer, check that /etc/default/jenkins is setting the value of RUN_STANDALONE=true.  I believe that the Jenkins installer for Ubuntu (and Debian) wants to start the Jenkins server, and it won't start the Jenkins server if RUN_STANDALONE=false.

Mark Waite
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Brad White

Sep 9, 2016, 11:57:31 AM9/9/16
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

I was able to resolve this by ensuring that the default-jre-headless package is installed BEFORE installing Jenkins from the apt repo.  If you instead let the Jenkins install drag that in as a dependency, the install will fail as described previously.

Brad