Cannot use Java web start on Mac OS slave

Simon Byrnand

Oct 27, 2014, 7:14:44 PM10/27/14
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We have a Mac OS slave which is working fine with Jenkins using ssh, however we have another Mac that is behind a firewall which we can't port forward to, so I want to use the Java webstart method to start the slave as a daemon at boot time. At the moment I'm just testing it from a local terminal session but I'm running into a problem. The commands are similar to this: (real URL's obfuscated)

java -jar slave.jar -jnlpUrl "http://servername.com/computer/slave-name/slave-agent.jnlp" -secret "07f867c618f924765cb7973fb87f43adddee29abd32c5d9ab0597328eb4011af"

However it seems to crash with the following exception:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: IV buffer too short for given offset/length combination
        at javax.crypto.spec.IvParameterSpec.<init>(IvParameterSpec.java:80)
        at hudson.remoting.Launcher.parseJnlpArguments(Launcher.java:289)
        at hudson.remoting.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:218)
        at hudson.remoting.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:192)

This is on OS X 10.9 Mavericks and I have tried Java 6, 7 and 8, all give the exact same error.

The machine that is running in ssh mode is on 10.6 Snow Leopard, however if I try to use the java webstart method on that machine it too fails with the same error.

Also trying to use Java webstart via a web browser by downloading the slave-agent.jnlp from the link within the slave status page also fails with the same exception.

Two of us have been working on this for over two hours with no luck - Java webstart seems to work for us on Windows but not Mac OS.

Anyone have any ideas ? A google search turns up nothing as well. :(

Regards,
Simon

Richard Bywater

Oct 27, 2014, 7:22:39 PM10/27/14
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
If you can't port-forward/open a hole in the firewall for SSH, I'd imagine you'd have problems with doing so with Java Webstart too as presumably the firewall would block that traffic too?

Richard.

Simon Byrnand

Oct 28, 2014, 3:00:01 AM10/28/14
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

When I say can't, what I mean is not allowed. Technically I could open an incoming port but its a business network so policy-wise I'm not allowed to.

There are currently no restrictions for outgoing connections (at least to the jenkins master) except there is a transparent proxy on port 80.

I'm fairly new to Jenkins but as far as I can see the Java web start approach should work when the slave has more or less unrestricted outgoing access but port forwarding for ssh can't be used.

The problem is the slave.jar is crashing when using the exact command line suggested by Jenkins in the slave setup, not that it can't connect to the master.

The second slave which is currently using ssh and port forwarding is on a home network - it too has unrestricted outgoing connectivity through a NAT firewall but crashes in the same way if I try to configure it to use Java webstart instead of ssh,

Is anyone actually using Java web start on Mac ?

Simon