Failed to load hudson.scm.AbstractCvs$1

Sameh Tawfik

Jun 17, 2013, 6:55:05 PM6/17/13
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm using Jenkins ver. 1.518 , and I setup a slave "testbuild" that is In sync with the master, and when I attempt to run a build, the following is generated? Does anyone knows what is the fix to this problem?

Started by user anonymous
Building remotely on testbuild in workspace /tmp/jenkins
hudson.util.IOException2: remote file operation failed: /tmp at hudson.remoting.Channel@1bd7921c:testbuild
 at hudson.FilePath.act(FilePath.java:901)
 at hudson.FilePath.act(FilePath.java:878)
 at hudson.scm.AbstractCvs.perform(AbstractCvs.java:226)
 at hudson.scm.AbstractCvs.checkout(AbstractCvs.java:192)
 at hudson.scm.CVSSCM.checkout(CVSSCM.java:323)
 at hudson.model.AbstractProject.checkout(AbstractProject.java:1369)
 at hudson.model.AbstractBuild$AbstractBuildExecution.defaultCheckout(AbstractBuild.java:676)
 at jenkins.scm.SCMCheckoutStrategy.checkout(SCMCheckoutStrategy.java:88)
 at hudson.model.AbstractBuild$AbstractBuildExecution.run(AbstractBuild.java:581)
 at hudson.model.Run.execute(Run.java:1576)
 at hudson.model.FreeStyleBuild.run(FreeStyleBuild.java:46)
 at hudson.model.ResourceController.execute(ResourceController.java:88)
 at hudson.model.Executor.run(Executor.java:241)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Remote call on testbuild failed
 at hudson.remoting.Channel.call(Channel.java:681)
 at hudson.FilePath.act(FilePath.java:894)
 ... 12 more
Caused by: java.lang.ClassFormatError: Failed to load hudson.scm.AbstractCvs$1
 at hudson.remoting.RemoteClassLoader.loadClassFile(RemoteClassLoader.java:193)
 at hudson.remoting.RemoteClassLoader.findClass(RemoteClassLoader.java:144)
 at hudson.remoting.MultiClassLoaderSerializer$Input.resolveClass(MultiClassLoaderSerializer.java:113)
 at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readNonProxyDesc(ObjectInputStream.java:1543)
 at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readClassDesc(ObjectInputStream.java:1465)
 at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readOrdinaryObject(ObjectInputStream.java:1698)
 at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(ObjectInputStream.java:1304)
 at java.io.ObjectInputStream.defaultReadFields(ObjectInputStream.java:1917)
 at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readSerialData(ObjectInputStream.java:1841)
 at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readOrdinaryObject(ObjectInputStream.java:1718)
 at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(ObjectInputStream.java:1304)
 at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject(ObjectInputStream.java:349)
 at hudson.remoting.UserRequest.deserialize(UserRequest.java:182)
 at hudson.remoting.UserRequest.perform(UserRequest.java:98)
 at hudson.remoting.UserRequest.perform(UserRequest.java:48)
 at hudson.remoting.Request$2.run(Request.java:326)
 at hudson.remoting.InterceptingExecutorService$1.call(InterceptingExecutorService.java:72)
 at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:269)
 at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:650)
 at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:675)
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
Caused by: java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file
 at hudson.remoting.RemoteClassLoader.loadClassFile(RemoteClassLoader.java:191)
 ... 26 more
Finished: FAILURE

Sameh Tawfik

Jun 18, 2013, 11:18:55 AM6/18/13
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone have an idea about this bad Jenkins behavior? This problem is preventing us from using Jenkins?

Bob Bick

Jun 18, 2013, 11:21:54 AM6/18/13
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

I resolved this issue in our environment by fixing the PATH on the build machine… I updated the PATH environment variable so that it was using JDK 1.6 rather than JDK 1.5.

Bob

*** *** ***
This message contains information which may be confidential and privileged. Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive for the addressee), you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received the message in error,  please advise the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message.

Kevin Fleming (BLOOMBERG/ 731 LEXIN)

Jun 18, 2013, 11:26:09 AM6/18/13
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
The Jenkins team has recently started building Java 6 (1.6) class files, to see how many users are still using Java 5 (this is based on commit log notes I read yesterday). This means that you need to use Java 6 or 7 to run Jenkins, unless you build it yourself using Java 5. If it turns out that very few users are using Java 5, or they switch over to 6/7, then the Jenkins team can start using Java 6 language features, which would be beneficial.

Unfortunately, I didn't see this communicated on the mailing list at all, which would have been a good way to warn the user community.

Sameh Tawfik

Jun 18, 2013, 12:09:50 PM6/18/13
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com, bb...@netjets.com
Thanks Bob, I just checked and found out our build machine has java version "1.5.0_07" while Jenkins machine has java version "1.7.0_10", so I'll work on syncing these machine. I think that would solve this issue. I'll send a note after syncing and testing to confirm.

Thanks again, and have a nice day.

    Sameh

On Monday, June 17, 2013 3:55:05 PM UTC-7, Sameh Tawfik wrote:

Hi,

I'm using Jenkins ver. 1.518 , and I setup a slave "testbuild" that is In sync with the master, and when I attempt to run a build, the following is generated? Does anyone knows what is the fix to this problem?

Started by user anonymous
Building remotely on testbuild in workspace /tmp/jenkins

hudson.util.IOException2: remote file operation failed: /tmp at hudson.remo...@1bd7921c:testbuild

Sameh Tawfik

Jun 19, 2013, 9:59:39 AM6/19/13
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com, bb...@netjets.com

This problem was resolved after installing Java version "1.5.0_07" on Jenkins machine to sync with the build machine that has the same java version, but unfortunatly we run into another problme! CVS plugin does not work with any java version below 1.6 as stated in the CVS plugin documentation "Note: This plugin uses Netbeans CVS Library which relies on Java 1.6 or above", so now we've to upgrade java version on all machines in order to use Jenkins!