Problem launching slave on windows xp after upgrade to 1.396

pablaasmo

Feb 3, 2011, 6:22:29 AM2/3/11
to Jenkins Developers
Hi,
I updated our Hudson installation from 1.394 to Jenkins 1.396.
Almost everything went fine except launching slave on Windows XP.
Windows 7 slaves seems to have started OK.

When we start the slave from hudson ; sorry jenkins web interface we
see the folllowing mesage:
--->
Connecting to norvm-tools-s2.norway.atmel.com
Checking if Java exists
java full version "1.6.0_23-b05"
Installing the Jenkins slave service
Copying jenkins-slave.exe
<---

This can repeats several times or it can just hang there.

I have tried a couple of steps:
1. I tried to start it as JNLP. On on slave it did not start at all,
no messages anywhere. On another the a 'Hudson slave agent' window
comes up and says it running. But cant connect from master.
2. Then I removed the old 'hudsonslave' service, and the files from
earlier installations on the slave
3. Copied the 'slave.jar' to the slave and started it with the 'java -
jar slave.jar .....' command.
4. This made the master connect to the slave.
5. The I installed the a service using the 'sc.exe create .....'
command from the command line.
6. Then tried to configure the slave node to use windows services
again, but the same output happens and the master is not able to
connect to the slave.

Anyone have a clue on what is going on?

BTW, It says copying 'jenkins-slave.exe' but the file never seems to
be copied. Where do I find the 'jenkins-slave.exe' file on the master?

Regards
Per A.

Jerome Lacoste

Feb 3, 2011, 9:30:15 AM2/3/11
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, February 3, 2011 12:22:29 PM UTC+1, pablaasmo wrote:
Hi,
I updated our Hudson installation from 1.394 to Jenkins 1.396.
Almost everything went fine except launching slave on Windows XP.
Windows 7 slaves seems to have started OK.

When we start the slave from hudson ; sorry jenkins web interface we
see the folllowing mesage:
--->
Connecting to norvm-tools-s2.norway.atmel.com
Checking if Java exists
java full version "1.6.0_23-b05"
Installing the Jenkins slave service
Copying jenkins-slave.exe
<---

 [...]
Anyone have a clue on what is going on?

BTW, It says copying 'jenkins-slave.exe' but the file never seems to
be copied. Where do I find the 'jenkins-slave.exe' file on the master?

The code still seems to reference hudson.exe and hudson-slave.exe but generates a jenkins.exe.
That could explain your problem but not your output.

how did you install 1.396 ?

What do you have in your ~/.hudson/war/WEB-INF/lib/jenkins-core-*.jar ? (could be located under ~/.jenkins as well)

I have: 36584 Thu Feb 03 09:04:22 CET 2011 windows-service/jenkins.exe ( in 1.397-SNAPSHOT)

Per Arnold Blåsmo

Feb 3, 2011, 9:43:37 AM2/3/11
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Jerome Lacoste
On 03. feb. 2011 15:30, Jerome Lacoste wrote:
> On Thursday, February 3, 2011 12:22:29 PM UTC+1, pablaasmo wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I updated our Hudson installation from 1.394 to Jenkins 1.396.
> Almost everything went fine except launching slave on Windows XP.
> Windows 7 slaves seems to have started OK.
>
> When we start the slave from hudson ; sorry jenkins web interface we
> see the folllowing mesage:
> --->
> Connecting to norvm-tools-s2.norway.atmel.com
> <http://norvm-tools-s2.norway.atmel.com>

> Checking if Java exists
> java full version "1.6.0_23-b05"
> Installing the Jenkins slave service
> Copying jenkins-slave.exe
> <---
>
> [...]
>
> Anyone have a clue on what is going on?
>
> BTW, It says copying 'jenkins-slave.exe' but the file never seems to
> be copied. Where do I find the 'jenkins-slave.exe' file on the
> master?
>

> The code still seems to reference hudson.exe and hudson-slave.exe but
> generates a jenkins.exe.
> That could explain your problem but not your output.
>
> At least that's what I see
> here: https://github.com/jenkinsci/jenkins/blob/master/core/src/main/java/hudson/os/windows/ManagedWindowsServiceLauncher.java#L215
That explains why it works om my Windows7 slaves, since all those have a
hudson-slave.exe in the Hudson folder.

This should be reported as a bug?

I follow the instructions on that link.

> how did you install 1.396 ?

I have a RHEL 5 server with Tomcat 6 and installed the Hudson/Jenkins as
a .war file.

> What do you have in your ~/.hudson/war/WEB-INF/lib/jenkins-core-*.jar
> ? (could be located under ~/.jenkins as well)
>
> I have: 36584 Thu Feb 03 09:04:22 CET 2011 windows-service/jenkins.exe
> ( in 1.397-SNAPSHOT)

I also have jenkins.exe there.

PerA

Jerome Lacoste

Feb 3, 2011, 9:49:40 AM2/3/11
On Thursday, February 3, 2011 3:43:37 PM UTC+1, Per Arnold Blåsmo wrote:
>     BTW, It says copying 'jenkins-slave.exe' but the file never seems to
>     be copied. Where do I find the 'jenkins-slave.exe' file on the
>     master?
>

> The code still seems to reference hudson.exe and hudson-slave.exe but
> generates a jenkins.exe.
> That could explain your problem but not your output.
>
> At least that's what I see
> here: https://github.com/jenkinsci/jenkins/blob/master/core/src/main/java/hudson/os/windows/ManagedWindowsServiceLauncher.java#L215

That explains why it works om my Windows7 slaves, since all those have a
hudson-slave.exe in the Hudson folder.

This should be reported as a bug?

Ja ! Add a URL to that conversation to the description.

> Have you
> followed http://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Upgrading+from+Hudson+to+Jenkins#UpgradingfromHudsontoJenkins-InstalledasWindowsservice ?

I follow the instructions on that link.
> how did you install 1.396 ?
I have a RHEL 5 server with Tomcat 6 and installed the Hudson/Jenkins as
a .war file.

but where did you get the war ? from jenkins-ci.org ? What's the md5 of the war ? I don't get where the output jenkins-slave.exe comes from. The code still seems to indicate hudson-slave.exe.

pablaasmo

Feb 3, 2011, 10:13:26 AM2/3/11
to Jenkins Developers

> > Have you
> > > followed
> >http://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Upgrading+from+Hudson+to+J...
>
> > I follow the instructions on that link.
> > > how did you install 1.396 ?
> > I have a RHEL 5 server with Tomcat 6 and installed the Hudson/Jenkins as
> > a .war file.
>
> but where did you get the war ? from jenkins-ci.org ? What's the md5 of the
> war ? I don't get where the output jenkins-slave.exe comes from. The code
> still seems to indicate hudson-slave.exe.

http://mirrors.jenkins-ci.org/war/latest/jenkins.war
If you unpack that you will find /WEB-INF/lib/jenkins-core-1.396.jar
If you unpack that one again, you will find /windows-service/
jenkins.exe

It identifies itself as version 1.396

I guess what the server does is to copy the jenkins.exe to jenkins-
slave.exe and adds correct parameters to jenkins-slave.xml before
copying that to to the slave.

The md5 is:
57655337809c93e40fbad9d1535215ff hudson.war

I renamed the file from jenkins.war to hudson.war as per upgrade
instructions.

Per A.

Jerome Lacoste

Feb 3, 2011, 10:31:39 AM2/3/11
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, February 3, 2011 4:13:26 PM UTC+1, pablaasmo wrote:

> > Have you
> > > followed
> >http://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Upgrading+from+Hudson+to+J...
>
> > I follow the instructions on that link.
> > > how did you install 1.396 ?
> > I have a RHEL 5 server with Tomcat 6 and installed the Hudson/Jenkins as
> > a .war file.
>
> but where did you get the war ? from jenkins-ci.org ? What's the md5 of the
> war ? I don't get where the output jenkins-slave.exe comes from. The code
> still seems to indicate hudson-slave.exe.

OK. I misread the code. I've made a tentative fix. I don't use windows slaves, so I am not sure about the service stopping.

I can send you a test WAR if you want.

jerome

pablaasmo

Feb 3, 2011, 5:09:03 PM2/3/11
to Jenkins Developers

On 3 Feb, 16:31, Jerome Lacoste <jerome.laco...@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK. I misread the code. I've made a tentative fix. I don't use windows
> slaves, so I am not sure about the service stopping.
>
> I can send you a test WAR if you want.

OK, I will test it.

Per A.