Plugin hosting request: AdvancedInstaller Plugin

advinst caphyon

Mar 24, 2015, 2:27:51 AM3/24/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

Hello

I would like to request to host a Jenkins CI plugin for building setups using Advanced Installer

Characteristics of plugin:
- Plugin will add a build step allowing  setup builds using Advanced Installer.

INFORMATION REQUESTED

GitHub plugin name : advancedinstaller-plugin

Personal GitHub ID : advinst

Thanks!

Oleg Nenashev

Mar 24, 2015, 2:48:57 AM3/24/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
As I see, the plugin does not exist in your repo.
Could you clarify the purpose of the plugin (e.g. describe the use-case in details)? There're many plugins, which may address your use-case. As example, Custom Tools allows to setup an environment for builds.

Christopher Orr

Mar 24, 2015, 2:55:41 AM3/24/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Regarding the (as-yet undocumented) purpose, I guess the plugin is for
this generically-named piece of software:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/

Maybe advanced-installer-msi-builder would be a slightly more helpful
and informative plugin ID?

-Chris

On 23/03/15 23:48, Oleg Nenashev wrote:
> As I see, the plugin does not exist in your repo.
> Could you clarify the purpose of the plugin (e.g. describe the use-case
> in details)? There're many plugins, which may address your use-case. As
> example, Custom Tools allows to setup an environment for builds.
>
> вторник, 24 марта 2015 г., 9:27:51 UTC+3 пользователь advinst caphyon
> написал:
>

> Hello
>
> I would like to request to host a Jenkins CI plugin for building
> setups using Advanced Installer
>
> Characteristics of plugin:
> - Plugin will add a build step allowing setup builds using Advanced
> Installer.
>

> INFORMATION REQUESTED
>
> **
>
> *GitHub plugin name* : advancedinstaller-plugin
>
> **
>
> *Personal GitHub ID* : advinst
>

> Thanks!
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/3df34168-d39d-41d9-b9db-4258d2e697a3%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/3df34168-d39d-41d9-b9db-4258d2e697a3%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

advinst caphyon

Mar 24, 2015, 3:04:19 AM3/24/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply.

Indeed this plugin uses the Advanced Installer tool. As for the naming scheme, it would not be accurate to add the "msi" word in the naming scheme.
The tools builds all types of setups (MSI, EXE, APPV, APPX, etc). I feat it would be misleading.
Thanks

advinst caphyon

Mar 24, 2015, 3:09:10 AM3/24/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The plugin uses Advanced Installer Tool to build setup files. It adds a build step which allows you to invoke the tool from command line and build a project file.
Regarding the repo, I was under the impression that I should use the Jenkins repo.

Thanks for the help.

advinst caphyon

Mar 25, 2015, 9:01:55 AM3/25/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Here is the plugin repo:
https://github.com/advinst/advinst-jenkins-plugin

Any update o this?

Thanks.

Oleg Nenashev

Mar 25, 2015, 9:25:41 AM3/25/15
to JenkinsCI Developers
Do you consider changing the artifactId?
The current one is quite confusing. I think that Daniel's proposal could be a right choice for your plugin

advinst caphyon

Mar 25, 2015, 9:42:12 AM3/25/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Advanced Installer is a recognized name in the packaging solutions market. The id will not be misleading to our users which requested this plugin.
Also we would like to use the same naming scheme as similar products (wix, InstallShield).
So if it is not inconvenient we would like to keep this artifactId.

Thanks

domi

Mar 25, 2015, 9:55:55 AM3/25/15
to Jenkins Developers
I agree with Daniel and Oleg, I also think it is misleading - maybe not to he ones how know this tool - but to everyone else and I would say thats about 90%
..my 2cents
/Domi

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/cf627c04-2223-4c30-a645-5abbdd40a67b%40googlegroups.com.

advinst caphyon

Mar 25, 2015, 10:07:57 AM3/25/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I seems that the people have spoken :). I have changed the id to: advanced-installer-msi-builder

advinst caphyon

Mar 27, 2015, 2:41:49 AM3/27/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Any updates on this. Is there something I can do to speed things along?

Thanks.

Oleg Nenashev

Mar 27, 2015, 3:02:38 AM3/27/15
to JenkinsCI Developers
You should get an invitation to jenkinsci organization

Best regards,
Oleg nenashev

advinst caphyon

Mar 27, 2015, 3:10:27 AM3/27/15