Renaming a plugin - which steps to take?

Martin Weber

Feb 7, 2016, 12:20:42 PM2/7/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I want to renamed my plugin to let its name reflect the recently added
features. (cmakebuilder-plugin --> CMake-plugin).

Which steps do I have to take and what are the risks?

1) Rename plugins wiki page: Does that break any links inside the wiki?
2) Changing the plugin ID (in the pom). Will that affect automatic updates?
2.1) Rename the git repo. Do I have permission to do that?
Other steps?

Rationale for renaming:
The plugin provided a build step which runs cmake and make. It now allows to
invoke most of the tools in the cmake suite.

Martin

--
Cd wrttn wtht vwls s mch trsr.

Baptiste Mathus

Feb 7, 2016, 3:15:59 PM2/7/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I want to renamed my plugin to let its name reflect the recently added
features. (cmakebuilder-plugin --> CMake-plugin).

Which steps do I have to take and what are the risks?

1) Rename plugins wiki page: Does that break any links inside the wiki?

You normally can do it as long as you take care of releasing a new version of your plugin immediately or just before (as it takes some hours to propagate), with the <url> tag updated.

2) Changing the plugin ID (in the pom). Will that affect automatic updates?

Completely. Auto updates are based on *artifactId only* (not groupId), so changing it will result in no more updates and a new plugin to install for your users.

So your alternative might be to change only the name and so on, and not touch the artifactId.

2.1) Rename the git repo. Do I have permission to do that?

I don't think you have the permission, but it should be pretty quick once you ask for it. Granted you took great care of the above if you don't want to start anew with your user base, and have your plugin (temporarily) unavailable from the update center if you miss some step.

Other steps?

Rationale for renaming:
The plugin provided a build step which runs cmake and make. It now allows to
invoke most of the tools in the cmake suite.

Martin

--
Cd wrttn wtht vwls s mch trsr.

Jesse Glick

Feb 8, 2016, 7:41:21 AM2/8/16
to Jenkins Dev
On Sun, Feb 7, 2016 at 12:20 PM, Martin Weber <fifteen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Changing the plugin ID (in the pom). Will that affect automatic updates?

Yes; you cannot ever do this, unless and until a feature to support
renames is added to the Jenkins plugin manager.

Martin Weber

Feb 8, 2016, 2:50:12 PM2/8/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Am Sonntag, 7. Februar 2016, 21:15:34 schrieb Baptiste Mathus:
> > Hi,
> > I want to renamed my plugin to let its name reflect the recently added
> > features. (cmakebuilder-plugin --> CMake-plugin).

@Jesse & @Baptiste: Thanks for the clarification.
So I will just rename the wiki page and add a new page with the old name that
directs users to the new page (just like workflow plugin does).