[ANN] Subversion Plugin 2.0 being released

Stephen Connolly

Jan 31, 2014, 7:25:07 AM1/31/14
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com, jenkin...@googlegroups.com
At the Jenkins Code Camp the issue of releasing version 2.0 of the Subversion plugin came up.

I would have liked to hear from some users who have tried to test the 2.0-beta-1. After 3 months we have had no feedback, so:

Kevin P Flemming
Robert Sandell
Nicolas de Loof
Vincent Latombe

all voted me down and suggest that we just go and release the 2.0 version.

If there are any issues with the 2.0 credential migration I suggest taking it up with those who voted me down ;-)

-Stephen

jieryn

Feb 1, 2014, 8:34:28 AM2/1/14
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Is the wiki going to be updated with the changes?

Stephen Connolly

Feb 1, 2014, 8:38:50 AM2/1/14
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Go for it

Sent from my phone

jieryn

Feb 1, 2014, 8:59:20 AM2/1/14
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Funny. It is both convention and consideration for users that the
developers making changes document the changes.

I think I'll revoke my funny label. It seems more reckless or callous
to not document changes for a plugin used by over 70k known
deployments. Probably 2 or 3x that number of lurking iceberg
installations as well. And if you yourself are willing to casually
joke about how you think the changes are so large that they would
require more/better -rc releases, and yet were egged on by your CB
friends to do so in spite of your better judgement, ..well..

It doesn't look good, but worse, it is deliberately obscurant.

On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 8:38 AM, Stephen Connolly

Stephen Connolly

Feb 2, 2014, 5:55:42 AM2/2/14
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
The only change is the integration of the credentials plugin. Everything else remains the same.

There has been zero feedback on the experimental releases. The kind of feedback needed is from real users and real systems. The considered opinion of the three non-CB people and the feedback from NdL was that if there has been no feedback from the experimental update center releases by now, pushing more (unchanged) releases into the experimental update center will not produce more feedback.

The credentials migration code has stood up to every test case I have thrown at it. I even found a few problems with the previous credential management (while trying to construct scenarios that *could* break the migration) that are resolved by the switch to explicit credentials in 2.0.

I apologies for the flippant comment sent from my phone, I had confused the SVN wiki page with the LDAP wiki page... sadly the LDAP wiki page has traditionally not had a version history and the wiki page editor is not something to attempt from a phone... no matter how smart the phone claims to be.

jieryn

Feb 3, 2014, 1:53:05 PM2/3/14
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Ok, thank you Stephen for making the doc updates. I apologize for the
harshness in my language, and now that you've documented the changes
(plus the sparse LDAP page), I can more easily see your side about the
relative externally facing impact that would require documentation
updates.. so, sorry.

I'll give the 2.0 a run for its money later in the week! Thanks for
your efforts on the plugin.

Stephen Connolly

Feb 6, 2014, 9:05:27 AM2/6/14
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com, jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Did the credentials get migrated correctly?

On 6 February 2014 13:55, David Aldrich <David....@emea.nec.com> wrote:

Hi

I have just upgraded from Subversion 1.54 plugin to v.2.00.  Launching a job that does a clean checkout on a Windows slave now repeatedly fails with this exception:

Checking out <https:// my trunk> at revision '2014-02-06T13:42:30.165 +0000'

ERROR: Failed to check out <https:// my trunk>

org.tmatesoft.svn.core.SVNCancelException: svn: E200015: OPTIONS /subversion/zodiac/trunk failed

                at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.io.dav.http.HTTPConnection.request(HTTPConnection.java:384)

                at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.io.dav.http.HTTPConnection.request(HTTPConnection.java:373)

                at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.io.dav.http.HTTPConnection.request(HTTPConnection.java:361)

                at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.io.dav.DAVConnection.performHttpRequest(DAVConnection.java:707)

                at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.io.dav.DAVConnection.exchangeCapabilities(DAVConnection.java:627)

Clean checkouts to a Linux slave work fine.

I guess Stephen does not want to know ;-)  I can raise a JIRA.

Best regards

David

jieryn

Feb 7, 2014, 9:16:18 AM2/7/14
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I upgraded all plugins, including Subversion and its dependencies.
After a few hours of builds, I do not see anything awry. It seems
good. Great job!

I'm using Jenkins LTS 1.532.2.