Wondering about the viability of extending artifact handling

Jonathan Hodgson

Oct 21, 2016, 7:18:50 AM10/21/16
to Jenkins Developers
Hi,

Although I'm an experienced programmer, I'm still learning about Jenkins as a user and also as to what goes on under the hood.

My builds are at their early stages, and I can already see that artifacts are going to become unwieldy.

So i"m wondering whether it would be possible, and what would be involved, in adding some functionality to do that side of things.

Firstly: Tags and Filtering
So that when I artifact from my pipeline I can tag it as say "Win32" "Debug", or "OSX" "Release", and then be able to filter in the UI to just see all artifacts related to the release build, or to the Win32 build.

Secondly: Custom Viewers and types
There are artifacts that I want to store raw, but view in a customized form. For example build logs in xml form. It would be very useful if when I click on an artifact named say

"Win32_Release_build_log.xml"

rather than just going to a default view, it rendered the file through my own custom code (which in this case would apply an xsl transform).

The custom view could be determined by extension, or by a type declared along with the tags when I create the artifact.

I'm not asking anyone else to do this for me (though if somebody wants to, please go ahead, I have so much on my plate), but I do have three questions for those with development knowledge of Jenkins

1) Does it seem viable to extend the artifact handling in the way I describe?

2) If not, then can you think of some alternative way to get to the same sort of thing?

3) If the answer to either of the previous two questions is yes, then how can I get started on it?

Thanks

Jon