Request hosting for Performance Signature Plugin

Raphael Pionke

Sep 15, 2015, 8:00:17 AM9/15/15
to Jenkins Developers
Hi,

this plugin fetches performance values from Dynatrace XML Dashboards during a build and evaluates and compares the result with previous builds and non-functional requirements. This plugin uses user-specified XML Dashboards and PDF detail Reports. Additionally this plugin adds several build steps to trigger the Dynatrace REST interface.

Plugin name: performance-signature-dynatrace
Github ID: rpionke

It would be nice to have it hosted on jekins-ci.

Thanks in advance,
Raphael

Oleg Nenashev

Sep 16, 2015, 5:37:20 AM9/16/15
to Jenkins Developers
There is and existing plugin for Dynatrace, which does the similar thing. https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Dynatrace+Plugin

What is the difference between plugins? Would it be possible to merge the functionality?

Raphael Pionke

Sep 22, 2015, 5:09:59 AM9/22/15
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Oleg,

we know the other Dynatrace plugin and after a long evaluation, we have decided to developed a new plugin with (good) serious reasons

  • completely different Workflow (the new plugin consists of several build-steps and a post-processing step)
  • both Plugins can only handle Dynatrace as APM Tool, in future plugin versions Dynatrace will be replaced by other APM Tools
    the original Plugin can only handle Dynatrace as APM Tool, the new Plugin is designed to be independent  from a specific APM-Tool (although currently only Dynatrace is supported)
  • different approach to gain performance data (the current plugin uses a xml-report, the new uses Dynatrace Rest API)
  • code reuse or integration is not imaginable / requires a hugh effort
  • the most important thing is; the old Dynatrace plugin can only handle Unit tests, the new plugin can deal with different kinds of tests e.g. performance/load test, interfacetest, ui-test …
I thTo avoid name conflicts the plugin name should be like this: performance-signature

Regards,
Raphael

Raphael Pionke

Sep 25, 2015, 3:25:20 AM9/25/15
to Jenkins Developers
Any update to this?

Kind regards,
Raphael

Oleg Nenashev

Sep 27, 2015, 3:43:47 PM9/27/15
to Jenkins Developers, wolfgang....@dynatrace.com
I've added the Dynatrace plugin owner to Cc. It would be great to get his feedback before going forward.

Even if we go forward with a new plugin:
* performance-signature is vague IMHO
* If the plugin is dynatrace-specific, I would prefer to see "dynatrace" in its name

Wolfgang Gottesheim

Nov 23, 2015, 4:38:08 AM11/23/15
to Jenkins Developers, wolfgang....@dynatrace.com
Hi,

It looks like I can't post to Google groups from the work email address I initially used here, sorry about the delay in getting back to you...

- I'm also fine with replacing the current plugin with the new one, as it kind of replaces/augments the existing plugin anyway.
- I agree that the "dynatrace" prefix makes sense in any case.

Raphael Pionke

Dec 17, 2015, 10:33:11 AM12/17/15
to Jenkins Developers, wolfgang....@dynatrace.com
Hi Oleg and Wolfgang,

thanks Wolfgang for your answer.
We got Dynatrace already in the Plugin title: "Performance Signature with Dynatrace Plugin".
Do we have to update the artifactId, since we use plugin in several environments?

Kind regards,
Raphael

Daniel Beck

Dec 17, 2015, 10:44:57 AM12/17/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, wolfgang....@dynatrace.com
The plugin ID should ideally be close to the display name (as it's used e.g. in JIRA as component), and obvious about what it is. So 'dynatrace' should be in there.

Raphael Pionke

Jan 28, 2016, 8:07:06 AM1/28/16
to Jenkins Developers, wolfgang....@dynatrace.com, m...@beckweb.net
Hey Daniel,

Sorry about the delay, we've developed a lot on the plugin and we're fine with renaming the pluginID to "performance-signature-dynatrace".
The displayname will be changed to "Performance Signature with Dynatrace".

Are you fine with these changes?

Raphael Pionke

Feb 4, 2016, 11:17:37 AM2/4/16
to Jenkins Developers, wolfgang....@dynatrace.com, m...@beckweb.net