Subversion plugin 2.5 and Multiple SCM 0.3 problem

Craig Rodrigues

Feb 5, 2015, 11:35:15 PM2/5/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I had to update the Subversion plugin to 2.5 in order
to use svn 1.8.  Basic checkouts work fine, but when I tried
to use the Multiple SCM 0.3 plugin, I got this:

FATAL: org.jenkinsci.plugins.multiplescms.MultiSCMRevisionState cannot be cast to hudson.scm.SVNRevisionState
java.lang.ClassCastException: org.jenkinsci.plugins.multiplescms.MultiSCMRevisionState cannot be cast to hudson.scm.SVNRevisionState
at hudson.scm.SubversionSCM.calcChangeLog(SubversionSCM.java:725)
at hudson.scm.SubversionSCM.checkout(SubversionSCM.java:860)
at hudson.scm.SCM.checkout(SCM.java:484)
at org.jenkinsci.plugins.multiplescms.MultiSCM.checkout(MultiSCM.java:118)
at hudson.model.AbstractProject.checkout(AbstractProject.java:1265)
at hudson.model.AbstractBuild$AbstractBuildExecution.defaultCheckout(AbstractBuild.java:622)
at jenkins.scm.SCMCheckoutStrategy.checkout(SCMCheckoutStrategy.java:86)
at hudson.model.AbstractBuild$AbstractBuildExecution.run(AbstractBuild.java:528)
at hudson.model.Run.execute(Run.java:1759)
at hudson.model.FreeStyleBuild.run(FreeStyleBuild.java:43)
at hudson.model.ResourceController.execute(ResourceController.java:89)
at hudson.model.Executor.run(Executor.java:240)

Any ideas?

--
Craig

Per Arnold Blaasmo

Feb 6, 2015, 4:29:54 AM2/6/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
See Issue https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-26303

Vote for that issue.
The problem seem to bee that the activity on the multiple-scms-plugin is
low. So someone has to step up and take responsibility :-)

Per A.

Jesse Glick

Feb 6, 2015, 8:22:36 AM2/6/15
to Jenkins Dev
On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 4:29 AM, Per Arnold Blaasmo
<per-arnol...@atmel.com> wrote:
> The problem seem to bee that the activity on the multiple-scms-plugin is low.

Probably this and other issues in multiple-scms are not really
fixable, given the design of the SCM interface. My recommendation is
to avoid that plugin, and if you need multiple checkouts in one build,
use Workflow which supports this natively.

Craig Rodrigues

Feb 6, 2015, 10:41:30 AM2/6/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 5:22 AM, Jesse Glick <jgl...@cloudbees.com> wrote:

Probably this and other issues in multiple-scms are not really
fixable, given the design of the SCM interface. My recommendation is
to avoid that plugin, and if you need multiple checkouts in one build,
use Workflow which supports this natively.

 I can't speak for Per Arnold Blaasmo, but at least for me, I
have a *lot* of Jenkins jobs using Multiple SCM's plugins, so
migrating to Workflow off the bat would be nontrivial.

I guess this is not a new phenomenon, but I notice lately that
as the interest in Jenkins has exploded, the quality of the plugins
has gone down, i.e. as plugins get upgraded, things break and are not
backwards compatible. :(
--
Craig

Per Arnold Blaasmo

Feb 9, 2015, 2:13:58 AM2/9/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
On 06. feb. 2015 16:41, Craig Rodrigues wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 5:22 AM, Jesse Glick <jgl...@cloudbees.com
> <mailto:jgl...@cloudbees.com>> wrote:
>

> Probably this and other issues in multiple-scms are not really
> fixable, given the design of the SCM interface. My recommendation is
> to avoid that plugin, and if you need multiple checkouts in one build,
> use Workflow which supports this natively.
>

> I can't speak for Per Arnold Blaasmo, but at least for me, I
> have a *lot* of Jenkins jobs using Multiple SCM's plugins, so
> migrating to Workflow off the bat would be nontrivial.

This is not good news for me either :-(

We have two main repo types in the company, Subversion and Git.
And though many are using and migrating to Git, there will be a
dependency to subversion for a long time yet.

Jesse, can you elaborate some more on the problems with the design of
the SCM interface that gives the problems with the multiple-scm plugin?

Maybe I can get someone to look into it?

Regards
Per A.

Baptiste Mathus

Feb 9, 2015, 5:29:33 AM2/9/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

Le 9 févr. 2015 08:13, "Per Arnold Blaasmo" <per-arnol...@atmel.com> a écrit :

> On 06. feb. 2015 16:41, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 5:22 AM, Jesse Glick <jgl...@cloudbees.com
> > <mailto:jgl...@cloudbees.com>> wrote:
> >

> >     Probably this and other issues in multiple-scms are not really
> >     fixable, given the design of the SCM interface. My recommendation is
> >     to avoid that plugin, and if you need multiple checkouts in one build,
> >     use Workflow which supports this natively.
> >

> >  I can't speak for Per Arnold Blaasmo, but at least for me, I
> > have a *lot* of Jenkins jobs using Multiple SCM's plugins, so
> > migrating to Workflow off the bat would be nontrivial.
> >
> This is not good news for me either :-(
>
> We have two main repo types in the company, Subversion and Git.
> And though many are using and migrating to Git, there will be a
> dependency to subversion for a long time yet.

BTW, I'm quite curious why this is an issue. We also have both Git and subversion repositories here and this is no issue at all.

You mean for the same project (meaning same lifecycle, one release, etc.) you can have your sources spanned onto both svn AND Git repositories?

Per Arnold Blaasmo

Feb 9, 2015, 9:21:56 AM2/9/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
On 09. feb. 2015 11:29, Baptiste Mathus wrote:

> Le 9 févr. 2015 08:13, "Per Arnold Blaasmo"
> <per-arnol...@atmel.com <mailto:per-arnol...@atmel.com>> a
> écrit :
>>
>> On 06. feb. 2015 16:41, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
>> >

>> > On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 5:22 AM, Jesse Glick <jgl...@cloudbees.com
> <mailto:jgl...@cloudbees.com>
>> > <mailto:jgl...@cloudbees.com <mailto:jgl...@cloudbees.com>>> wrote:
>> >

>> > Probably this and other issues in multiple-scms are not really
>> > fixable, given the design of the SCM interface. My recommendation is
>> > to avoid that plugin, and if you need multiple checkouts in one
> build,
>> > use Workflow which supports this natively.
>> >

>> > I can't speak for Per Arnold Blaasmo, but at least for me, I
>> > have a *lot* of Jenkins jobs using Multiple SCM's plugins, so
>> > migrating to Workflow off the bat would be nontrivial.
>> >
>> This is not good news for me either :-(
>>
>> We have two main repo types in the company, Subversion and Git.
>> And though many are using and migrating to Git, there will be a
>> dependency to subversion for a long time yet.
>>

> BTW, I'm quite curious why this is an issue. We also have both Git and
> subversion repositories here and this is no issue at all.
>
> You mean for the same project (meaning same lifecycle, one release,
> etc.) you can have your sources spanned onto both svn AND Git repositories?

We have build jobs that are dependent on code from both git repos and
subversion repos.

So, in the build job we need to check out code from both git and
subversion. Normally different subfolders in the build workspace.

Is this good design....naaahh not really, but currently - so it is.
There is different reason why it is like this, and each project has its
reasons.

As long as you only have code from one type of repo, this is no
problems, but the reason for the multiple-scm plugin is to be able to
check out from repos of same or different type.

Per A.

Craig Rodrigues

Feb 9, 2015, 3:47:55 PM2/9/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Feb 8, 2015 at 11:13 PM, Per Arnold Blaasmo <per-arnol...@atmel.com> wrote:
On 06. feb. 2015 16:41, Craig Rodrigues wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 5:22 AM, Jesse Glick <jgl...@cloudbees.com
> <mailto:jgl...@cloudbees.com>> wrote:
>

>     Probably this and other issues in multiple-scms are not really
>     fixable, given the design of the SCM interface. My recommendation is
>     to avoid that plugin, and if you need multiple checkouts in one build,
>     use Workflow which supports this natively.
>

>  I can't speak for Per Arnold Blaasmo, but at least for me, I
> have a *lot* of Jenkins jobs using Multiple SCM's plugins, so
> migrating to Workflow off the bat would be nontrivial.

This is not good news for me either :-(

Please try out the plugin that I submitted with a test patch:
https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-26303

and provide feedback in the JIRA ticket.
--
Craig

Jesse Glick

Feb 18, 2015, 3:38:05 PM2/18/15
to Jenkins Dev
On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 2:13 AM, Per Arnold Blaasmo
<per-arnol...@atmel.com> wrote:
> can you elaborate some more on the problems with the design of
> the SCM interface that gives the problems with the multiple-scm plugin?

It was not originally designed with proxying as a use case, so doing
so means resorting to tricks. Some SCM implementations assume that
they can freely cast provided parameters to their own types, and/or
that AbstractProject.getSCM() == this.