Hosting a new Plugin - Plugin Stats

Victor Martinez

Jun 16, 2015, 4:56:26 PM6/16/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

Hi there,

Originally, I created a groovy script to list those installed plugins and how many Projects are using them, then I realized It will be awesome to publish it as a Jenkins plugin. I've been researching and I've found 1 similar plugin: Plugin usage (Community) which it is quite specific to Projects, however plugin stats adds more features, such as: support to Maven Projects, Feature Branch Projects besides of that list global config plugin such as: Ldap, Role Strategy and so on.

  • Github repo: https://github.com/v1v/plugin-stats-plugin
  • repository name: plugin-stats-plugin
  • Github user: v1v

  • jenkins-ci.org: v2v

  • Description: List installed plugins, what Jenkins Projects are using them, how many projects and percentage of usage. It helps to decide whether a particular plugin can be disabled, and in the future it will allow to disable plugins on demand.

Looking forward for having some feedback.

Thanks,

Víctor

Victor Martinez

Jun 22, 2015, 6:16:21 PM6/22/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

 Let me kindly ask you if you need further details,

Thanks
Victor

Victor Martinez

Jun 25, 2015, 1:55:57 PM6/25/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi again,

  I didn't mention I've already created wiki page:

  Please let me know if you need any further clarification.

Cheers

Christopher Orr

Jun 25, 2015, 3:42:46 PM6/25/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

On 16/06/15 22:56, Victor Martinez wrote:
> Originally, I created a groovy script to list those installed plugins
> and how many Projects are using them, then I realized It will be awesome
> to publish it as a Jenkins plugin. I've been researching and I've found
> 1 similar plugin: Plugin usage (Community)

Have you considered adding these features to the existing plugin?

Regards,
Chris

Victor Martinez

Jun 26, 2015, 7:01:30 AM6/26/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

 I didn't see that plugin when I started coding it, so I've already gone through its source code and it's terrific. Conceptually are similar but from the implementation point of view are completely decoupled. I've already coded further features and working on how to also "parse" non jenkins jobs plugin to highlight them too. I haven't thought to merge those features in that plugin at all. And I'm not sure I will at least in the following weeks, since I'm dealing with adding value to this plugin in the way of learning further about Jenkins rather than recording what I've already coded since I don't have much spare time now.

Thanks

Daniel Beck

Jul 4, 2015, 5:36:38 AM7/4/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Victor,

there's already Plugin Usage Plugin:
https://github.com/jenkinsci/plugin-usage-plugin

It looks like these are fairly similar. Would it be possible to merge these in some way?

Daniel

Oleg Nenashev

Jul 5, 2015, 4:22:19 AM7/5/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, m...@beckweb.net
Hi Victor,

In Jenkins project we encourage people to update existing plugins instead of creating new ones. Your plugin is not extremely big now, so I don't think the merge requires much efforts. In order to simplify this process, you can also keep backend implementations separately for a while. Just add a links to index pages from a single UI.

Best regards,
Oleg

Victor Martinez

Jul 5, 2015, 8:19:00 AM7/5/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, m...@beckweb.net
Thanks for your comments, can you please give me write access to that repo? I'll be working on it.

Thanks again

Oleg Nenashev

Jul 5, 2015, 8:31:51 AM7/5/15
to JenkinsCI Developers, chriss...@gmail.com
It’s better to fork the repo, develop a first integration version there and then create a pull request.
In such case the plugin maintainer and other Jenkins contributors will be able to help you by reviewing the pull request.

A write access to this repo may be granted, but we should ask the maintainer to get an approval (CC’e Christian Meyer).

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/b1222a29-cc9f-4f49-9cd8-6ad6feccf0e0%40googlegroups.com.

Victor Martinez

Jul 5, 2015, 1:07:41 PM7/5/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, chriss...@gmail.com
alright! Thanks for that

Cheers

Victor Martinez

Oct 9, 2015, 12:57:44 PM10/9/15
to Jenkins Developers, chriss...@gmail.com
Hi there,

I've been waiting for a new release of this plugin, actually my PR was merged two weeks ago but it was requested in early July, so I wonder whether this project is abandoned somehow and if I can become a new maintainer of this project. @Christian what do you think?

Thanks so much
Víctor

Victor Martinez

Oct 26, 2015, 12:27:39 PM10/26/15
to Jenkins Developers, chriss...@gmail.com
Any update?

Thanks

Oleg Nenashev

Oct 27, 2015, 3:01:01 AM10/27/15
to Jenkins Developers, chriss...@gmail.com
Hi Victor,

Since there was a two-week response timeout, I've granted you a commit access to the plugin. Now you should be able to release changes if you feel strongly about them.

Best regards,
Oleg

Victor Martinez

Oct 27, 2015, 4:53:10 AM10/27/15