Take a peek at vCloud Director 1.5, OpenStack, and VirtualBox with jclouds 1.5.0-alpha.1

Adrian Cole

Mar 23, 2012, 5:15:18 AM3/23/12
to jclou...@googlegroups.com, jcl...@googlegroups.com, palle...@googlegroups.com, d...@whirr.apache.org
Syncing to Maven Central now is jclouds 1.5.0-alpha.1

This release has fully functional OpenStack Nova support via KeyStone 2.0.

This also has our first draft version of VirtualBox, and a preview of
vCloud Director.

If you've been wondering how to use HP Cloud or TryStack, look more here!

http://blog.jclouds.org/post//take-a-peek-at-vcloud-director-1-5-openstack-and

Enjoy!
-A

Jim Glennon

Mar 23, 2012, 2:44:50 PM3/23/12
to jclouds
i am trying to create an instance with the hpcloud-compute provider
using the generic API, but the call to builder.build() seems to hang
(waiting for a timeout?). should this be working?

Thanks!

jim

TemplateBuilder builder =
context.getComputeService().templateBuilder().

hardwareId(flavorId).imageId(imageId).locationId(zone);
Template newTemplate = builder.build();

NovaTemplateOptions ops =
newTemplate.getOptions().as(NovaTemplateOptions.class);
ops.keyPairName(tenantName);
ops.autoAssignFloatingIp(true);

try {
Set<? extends NodeMetadata> nodes =
context.getComputeService().createNodesInGroup("test", 1,
newTemplate);
nodeMetadata = nodes.iterator().next();
} catch (RunNodesException ex) {
System.out.println(ex.getMessage());
> http://blog.jclouds.org/post//take-a-peek-at-vcloud-director-1-5-open...
>
> Enjoy!
> -A

Adrian Cole

Mar 23, 2012, 2:50:17 PM3/23/12
to jcl...@googlegroups.com

No, it shouldn't hang :)

Want to use the compute-basics example?  in there, you'll find a logback.xml with suggested debug settings.  These on will show if there is a problem connecting to the server.

Cheers,

-A

Jim Glennon

Mar 23, 2012, 2:57:36 PM3/23/12
to jclouds
thanks. i'll check it out. i am able to successfully create instances
using the OpenStack NovaClient (and accompanying services) directly.

~jim

On Mar 23, 2:50 pm, Adrian Cole <adrian.f.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No, it shouldn't hang :)
>
> Want to use the compute-basics example?  in there, you'll find a
> logback.xml with suggested debug settings.  These on will show if there is
> a problem connecting to the server.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -A
> On Mar 23, 2012 11:45 AM, "Jim Glennon" <jim.glen...@enterprisedb.com>

Adrian Cole

Mar 23, 2012, 3:40:51 PM3/23/12
to jcl...@googlegroups.com
Since I know not all have access to HP Cloud, you can live vicariously
through mine below :)
http://pastie.org/3656384

-A

Jim Glennon

Mar 24, 2012, 12:07:30 PM3/24/12
to jclouds
ugh! i was referencing the hardwareId and flavorId without the zone
prefix (as is done with the native client). the one thing that doesn't
seem to work though is ops.keyPairName. the instance was started with
a generated keypair, instead of using the one i provided.

Adrian Cole

Mar 24, 2012, 1:37:33 PM3/24/12
to jcl...@googlegroups.com

Glad you progressed.

Yeah. The jclouds openstack stuff is now multizone/region, yet there's a chance of id clash, so we namespace them.

I'm not near my laptop, but I think the keypair name is passed direct (e.x. Without zone prefix).  If this is still ignored = a bug.

-A

Jim Glennon

Mar 26, 2012, 7:45:43 AM3/26/12
to jclouds
Yeah. I didn't think that the keypair name should have the zone
prefix. i tried it both ways anyway and it was not used in either
case. so maybe = a bug?

something else i ran into. yesterday it appeared that one of the zones
was down (couldn't reach it w/ the HPCloud Console either). when i
tried to build a template, i encountered a problem when the images
were being queried (below). is this expected behavior?

~jim

Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.reflect.UndeclaredThrowableException
at $Proxy76.listImagesInDetail(Unknown Source)
at
org.jclouds.openstack.nova.v1_1.compute.NovaComputeServiceAdapter.listImages(NovaComputeServiceAdapter.java:
153)
at
org.jclouds.hpcloud.compute.HPCloudComputeServiceAdapter.listImages(HPCloudComputeServiceAdapter.java:
34)
at org.jclouds.compute.config.ComputeServiceAdapterContextModule
$3.get(ComputeServiceAdapterContextModule.java:139)
at org.jclouds.compute.config.ComputeServiceAdapterContextModule
$3.get(ComputeServiceAdapterContextModule.java:135)
at
org.jclouds.collect.TransformingSetSupplier.get(TransformingSetSupplier.java:
47)
at
org.jclouds.collect.TransformingSetSupplier.get(TransformingSetSupplier.java:
36)
at org.jclouds.compute.config.BaseComputeServiceContextModule
$9.get(BaseComputeServiceContextModule.java:256)
at org.jclouds.compute.config.BaseComputeServiceContextModule
$9.get(BaseComputeServiceContextModule.java:253)
at
org.jclouds.rest.suppliers.SetAndThrowAuthorizationExceptionSupplier.get(SetAndThrowAuthorizationExceptionSupplier.java:
49)
at
org.jclouds.concurrent.RetryOnTimeOutExceptionSupplier.get(RetryOnTimeOutExceptionSupplier.java:
47)
at
org.jclouds.util.Suppliers2$ExpiringMemoizingSupplier.get(Suppliers2.java:
130)
at
org.jclouds.rest.suppliers.MemoizedRetryOnTimeOutButNotOnAuthorizationExceptionSupplier.get(MemoizedRetryOnTimeOutButNotOnAuthorizationExceptionSupplier.java:
64)
at
org.jclouds.compute.domain.internal.TemplateBuilderImpl.getImages(TemplateBuilderImpl.java:
737)
at
org.jclouds.compute.domain.internal.TemplateBuilderImpl.build(TemplateBuilderImpl.java:
612)

On Mar 24, 1:37 pm, Adrian Cole <adrian.f.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Glad you progressed.
>
> Yeah. The jclouds openstack stuff is now multizone/region, yet there's a
> chance of id clash, so we namespace them.
>
> I'm not near my laptop, but I think the keypair name is passed direct (e.x.
> Without zone prefix).  If this is still ignored = a bug.
>
> -A

Jim Glennon

Mar 26, 2012, 10:22:14 AM3/26/12
to jclouds
it just dawned on me that the native nova provider manages them by
zone, so it seems like the zone prefix would be needed.

~jim

On Mar 24, 1:37 pm, Adrian Cole <adrian.f.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Glad you progressed.
>
> Yeah. The jclouds openstack stuff is now multizone/region, yet there's a
> chance of id clash, so we namespace them.
>
> I'm not near my laptop, but I think the keypair name is passed direct (e.x.
> Without zone prefix).  If this is still ignored = a bug.
>
> -A

Adrian Cole

Mar 26, 2012, 10:25:45 AM3/26/12
to jcl...@googlegroups.com, jclou...@googlegroups.com

Keypair thing is probably a bug.  On the zones thing.. Was the cause a TimeoutException?  I can't see from the trace.

I've thought about using the jclouds.zones property to whitelist working zones when problems occur. Wdyt?

-A

Jim Glennon

Mar 27, 2012, 7:45:01 AM3/27/12
to jclouds
are there any plans for an alpha-2 release that might address the
possible keypair bug? i was hoping to use the portable API for
instance creation, but without keypair support working, i'll have to
opt for the native API, at least for the near term.

w.r.t. to the zone thing. yes, i'm pretty sure i also saw a
TimeoutException in that trace (unfortunately i dont' have it to refer
to anymore...). i've been thinking about your idea of user the
jclouds.zone property for a whitelist. is this scenario unique to open
stack (having to query zones separately), or has it possibly been
dealt with in other providers? what if that property is in use and
contains a user preference/setting that could potentially be over
written? also, how it would be updated when zones came back online
again?

~jim

On Mar 26, 10:25 am, Adrian Cole <adrian.f.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Keypair thing is probably a bug.  On the zones thing.. Was the cause a
> TimeoutException?  I can't see from the trace.
>
> I've thought about using the jclouds.zones property to whitelist working
> zones when problems occur. Wdyt?
>
> -A

Adrian Cole

Mar 27, 2012, 10:24:48 AM3/27/12
to jcl...@googlegroups.com

Hi, Jim.

I think it is more than fair to expect an alpha-2 soon.  Just a matter of fixing the code and releasing.

I spent a great day with Vijay, Monty & Jim relating to OpenStack CI + the jclouds jenkins plugin yesterday, so delay was for a good, OpenStacky cause :)

Cheers,
-A