Baffled about timeouts

Johannes Ernst

Mar 28, 2012, 1:02:50 AM3/28/12
to jcl...@googlegroups.com
Somehow less than 4 minutes is not exactly long enough to timeout after 1800 seconds? What's going on there?

> date
Tue Mar 27 21:48:21 PDT 2012

> run-my-invocation
java.lang.IllegalStateException: node(20714251) didn't achieve the state running within 1800 seconds, final state: PENDING
at org.jclouds.compute.strategy.CustomizeNodeAndAddToGoodMapOrPutExceptionIntoBadMap.call(CustomizeNodeAndAddToGoodMapOrPutExceptionIntoBadMap.java:141)
at org.jclouds.compute.strategy.CustomizeNodeAndAddToGoodMapOrPutExceptionIntoBadMap.apply(CustomizeNodeAndAddToGoodMapOrPutExceptionIntoBadMap.java:170)
at org.jclouds.compute.strategy.CustomizeNodeAndAddToGoodMapOrPutExceptionIntoBadMap.apply(CustomizeNodeAndAddToGoodMapOrPutExceptionIntoBadMap.java:57)
at com.google.common.util.concurrent.Futures$4.apply(Futures.java:503)
at com.google.common.util.concurrent.Futures$4.apply(Futures.java:501)
at com.google.common.util.concurrent.Futures$3.apply(Futures.java:279)
at com.google.common.util.concurrent.Futures$ChainingListenableFuture.run(Futures.java:729)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

> date
Tue Mar 27 21:52:14 PDT 2012

Andrew Phillips

Mar 28, 2012, 2:10:35 AM3/28/12
to jcl...@googlegroups.com
Quoting Johannes Ernst <johanne...@gmail.com>:

> Somehow less than 4 minutes is not exactly long enough to timeout
> after 1800 seconds? What's going on there?

Just by looking at the code it would appear that the exception is
thrown whenever

nodeRunning.apply(node)

returns false in
CustomizeNodeAndAddToGoodMapOrPutExceptionIntoBadMap:130 [1]. That [2]
looks like it can return false before timing out, in which case the
error message would indeed be misleading.

Am curious to see what the actual cause turns out to be!

Thanks for pointing this out...

ap

[1]
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/blob/master/compute/src/main/java/org/jclouds/compute/strategy/CustomizeNodeAndAddToGoodMapOrPutExceptionIntoBadMap.java
[2]
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/blob/master/compute/src/main/java/org/jclouds/compute/predicates/RefreshAndDoubleCheckOnFailUnlessStateInvalid.java

> --

Andrew Phillips
qrmedia

Unless expressly stated otherwise, this message is confidential.
Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are
not an addressee, any disclosure or copying of the contents of
this e-mail or any action taken (or not taken) in reliance on it
is unauthorised and may be unlawful. If you are not an addressee,
please inform the sender immediately.

This message is confidential and may not be redistributed or
broadcast in whole or part in any form, including but not limited
to any form of internet transmission including email, usenet,
newsgroups, www, irc, icq, etc.
All liability for errors and viruses is disclaimed.

Adrian Cole

Mar 28, 2012, 10:19:00 AM3/28/12
to jcl...@googlegroups.com
Good point. the message could be improved. probably worth an issue,
at least to nag us every time we look at issues :)

http://code.google.com/p/jclouds/issues

-A