notes from IRC on how Deltacloud do github in the ASF

Adrian Cole

Apr 11, 2013, 3:40:43 PM4/11/13
to jclou...@googlegroups.com
FYI:

Here's a paste from IRC for those who weren't there.  I asked David Lutterkort how they do pull requests, etc, having entered ASF.

-A

lutterso, first off, ASF projects can now get git repos within ASF, which includes a mirror on github
lutterwe used to just ask people to send patches in (more because that's how we've worked before than any ASF policy)
lutterwe are in the process of switching to pull requests; since we can't admin pull requests on https://github.com/apache/deltacloud (it's a limitiation of GH's permission system)
lutterwe've set up another mirror at https://github.com/deltacloud/core
lutterpeople are supposed to open PR's against that
lutteras a maintainer, the main diff is that you have to have your git checkout set up to push to the official ASF repo
lutters/maintainer/committer/
lutterso a a committer, you pull the PR down to your repo, do whatever you need to do to convince yourself it's good; merge it into your master and push to the ASF repo
mattstepyay, no button pushing merges anymore, we can have a clean history with rebases!
luttermattstep: that's one of the reasons why I am not too broken up about the fact that pushing the button would be very bad in our setup
lutterwe already require that committers maintain linear history, no matter how the patches come in
jasdeepH has joined (~jasdeepH@50-0-250-146.dedicated.static.sonic.net)
mattstep\o/
jasdeepH has left IRC (Remote host closed the connection)
digitalsanctum has joined (~digitalsa@208.96.179.187)
jasdeepH has joined (~jasdeepH@50-0-250-146.dedicated.static.sonic.net)
lutterone caveat: I am not sure it's the official ASF way, and there'd probably be some grumbling about depending on external tools; but the main requirement is that the canonical code is under ASF control, which it is in our setup
vijaykiran has joined (~user@s53759f74.adsl.online.nl)
apwashereThe "external tool" is GitHub is this case? I guess we could still *also* accept patches generated from a GitHub PR as input?
apwashereThen GitHub would become a convenient way to submit the change, rather than a requirement?
adrianclutter well once we are officially we can certainly help +1 things that make sense if there's grumbling
adriancI suspect as an ASF member I can anyway
adriancgaul any q's which we have lutter?
lutterapwashere: yeah, that's how I look at it

Becca Wood

Apr 12, 2013, 5:50:16 PM4/12/13
to jclou...@googlegroups.com
Very helpful.  Thanks!  ^_^

Koper, Dies

Apr 24, 2013, 10:37:37 PM4/24/13
to jclou...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

We are still in the process of migrating to github for patch reviewing completely with Apache Deltacloud, but the process is written up here:

https://github.com/deltacloud/core/wiki/GIT-Workflow

Maybe we can use it as reference for writing a similar wiki with guidance for jclouds developers.

(I haven’t written this page; questions or suggestion about it, please send to d...@deltacloud.apache.org)

Regards,

Dies Koper

digitalsanctum has joined (~digi...@208.96.179.187)

jasdeepH has joined (~jasdeepH@50-0-250-146.dedicated.static.sonic.net)

lutterone caveat: I am not sure it's the official ASF way, and there'd probably be some grumbling about depending on external tools; but the main requirement is that the canonical code is under ASF control, which it is in our setup

vijaykiran has joined (~user@s53759f74.adsl.online.nl)

apwashereThe "external tool" is GitHub is this case? I guess we could still *also* accept patches generated from a GitHub PR as input?

apwashereThen GitHub would become a convenient way to submit the change, rather than a requirement?

adrianclutter well once we are officially we can certainly help +1 things that make sense if there's grumbling

adriancI suspect as an ASF member I can anyway

adriancgaul any q's which we have lutter?

lutterapwashere: yeah, that's how I look at it

Andrew Phillips

Apr 25, 2013, 8:21:37 AM4/25/13
to jclou...@googlegroups.com
> https://github.com/deltacloud/core/wiki/GIT-Workflow

Thanks for sharing, Dies! Getting a 404 right now, though :-( Is it a
private page..?

ap
404.png

Vijay Kiran

Apr 25, 2013, 11:51:10 AM4/25/13
to jclou...@googlegroups.com, aphi...@qrmedia.com

Koper, Dies

Apr 25, 2013, 4:00:58 PM4/25/13
to jclou...@googlegroups.com, aphi...@qrmedia.com

Thanks Vijay!

The deltacloud repo was renamed a few hours after I sent my e-mail.

That should remain to be the location now:

https://github.com/deltacloud/deltacloud-core/wiki/GIT-Workflow

Regards,

Dies Koper

Andrew Phillips