Jabber groups lookup and offline messages

Barney Garrett

Mar 8, 2013, 7:18:55 AM3/8/13
to ja...@googlegroups.com
Hi There,

I've got a bot that sends out messages on specific events.  It sends thes to group broadcast addresses in openfire using their broadcast plugin.  The problem is that if I have offline messages turned on in Openfire then people get these messages the next time they connect and to be honest that is pointless since the messages are time specific.  The broadcast plugin has no way of preventing these messages being stored :(.

So I'm thinking of not using the openfire broadcast plugin and mimicing it's function within the bot but only sending to people who are online.

So is it possible for JAXL to pull a list of members of a group on Openfire ? and if it is how do I go about doing it ?  Or would I be better making a new openfire plugin for broadcasting that does more what I want it to ?

Abhinav Singh

Mar 11, 2013, 4:06:31 AM3/11/13
to ja...@googlegroups.com
I am unaware about how exactly openfire broadcast plugin works, but if you globally disable offline messages inside openfire, does broadcast plugin still sends out offline messages? If so, in that case broadcast plugin probably doesn't follow the global configs.

What kind of groups are these? Are these same MUC specification groups? Also what kind of membership does room members have? Ideally if you send out a message into a MUC room, it is being received only by the current members of the group. You can configure no history archive policy for MUC groups too.

Yes, you can pull list of members in a group using JAXL. When you enter into a MUC room, server will send you presence notification for every member in the group. Kindly checkout muc_log_bot.php and extend over it as required.