Performance of javafx android app and Dalvik VM wrt new android runtime.

yadav...@gmail.com

May 21, 2015, 2:05:12 PM5/21/15
to javafx...@googlegroups.com
I want to build an hybrid app which can work on multiple platforms.
JavaFXPort is one option and other is some js framework like cordova+ionic.

Since i am java guy i will prefer JavaFXPort but right now it seems not many people are using it. Also dalvik VM is replaced in new Android version with Android run-time.

To make the right choice i need help on below questions:
Q1. With ART replacing dalvik vm in Android, what is the future of JavaFXPorts? Do we have plans to replace dalvik vm with ART?
Q2. How does performance of apps developed in JavaFXPort stacks up against native apps?
Q3. How seamlessly it works in wide variety of android phones?

Johan Vos

May 21, 2015, 2:11:34 PM5/21/15
to yadav...@gmail.com, javafx...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

A1: We already support ART. All apps that run on Dalvik, should work on ART too.
A2: So far, I think performance is in about the same range as native
Android apps
A3: We try to support API level 19 and higher, with most API's also
available on API level 16. So that should work on at least 90% of the
existing Android phones.

- Johan

yadav...@gmail.com

May 21, 2015, 3:03:44 PM5/21/15
to javafx...@googlegroups.com, yadav...@gmail.com
Thanks for replay.

I have one more follow up question on Question 1. JavaFXport communicates with ADT directly or dalvik vm acts as intermediate vm b/w application and ADT?

Communication flow is?
app-> ADT or app->dalvik vm->ADT?

I have confusion on this because documentation on getting started page of JavaFXPorts mentions installing dalvik vm as well.