No Patent or Trademark on Social Enterprise

Werner Keil

Sep 5, 2012, 9:43:12 AM9/5/12
to java-...@googlegroups.com
This is good news, especially for Free and Open Source initiatives and Social Projects like Agorava and probably even more its users:
http://www.infoworld.com/d/the-industry-standard/salesforcecom-drop-sunder-pressure-its-bid-trademark-social-enterprise-201639?

Not that we really needed the term "Social Enterprise" ourselves, and those of you closest to the subject and JSR proposal sure know, Oracle had some objections to the label "Java Social", too ("Social Java" might be better, but they recommend something like "Social Media for Java(TM)" as ultimate solution)

Glad, especially those using Agorava and related frameworks in the "Enterprise Java" world, that "Social Enterprise Java" won't violate anybody's trademark, at least for now;-D

Cheers,
Werner

Werner Keil

Sep 5, 2012, 9:49:59 AM9/5/12
to java-...@googlegroups.com
I don't know, if my comment there will be posted, so here's a full quote:

Glad they dropped that nonsense. Given Salesforce.com and Oracle aren't exactly best buddies and compete in many areas, I wouldn't even want to imagine how many claims and possible lawsuits the usage of the term "Social Enterprise Java" could have caused, if Salesforce.com didn't drop that;-D "Enterprise Java" is of course protected by Oracle and compatibility, but given that barely any common standard for Social Media yet exists (and I know first hand, we were refused one in the Java ecosystem by other players;-) simply protecting the name in the sense, that Apple or others think they own "Rounded Buttons" would be bullshit and further complicate the Social Media landscape. If independent and trustworthy standards or protocols like Tent proposed them are found and adopted widely enough, then Salesforce.com and others are more than welcome to go for some "100% Pure Tent Social Compatible" certificate, but in the meantime, Hands Off from useless patents or trademarks;-)

Werner Keil

Sep 6, 2012, 8:57:15 AM9/6/12
to java-...@googlegroups.com
It was posted there, too.

Despite its attempt, or rather because Salesforce.com came to reason and since I haven't heard anything by Java/Cloud2Days I plan to attend this event in Stockholm next month: https://www.salesforce.com/eu/events/details/a1x300000004E5jAAE.jsp

It's free, so anybody close enough could go there. As Stockholm is barely 1h by plane (even trains take no more than 4-5h non-stop) from Copenhagen, it is easy for me to get there. Beside Salesforce.com and maybe Heroku (a Salesforce venture) who might be interested in Agorava, there are other companies like Spotify presenting how they use Salesforce.com. As those are Social services, too, getting in touch with them about possible Connectors to their networks is another advantage of this event.