What license shall we pick for this JSR?

Mark Struberg

Jun 2, 2014, 4:18:07 AM6/2/14
to java-...@googlegroups.com
I'd be pretty happy if we could use Apache License v2.0 (ALv2 [1]) as done with quite a few new specs those days:
* CDI
* BeanValidation
* JBatch

It's really open and we don't have to fight battles with neither Oracle, nor OSS projects nor commercial projects.

Any opinions?

LieGrue,
strub

Antonio Goncalves

Jun 2, 2014, 4:29:25 AM6/2/14
to Mark Struberg, java-...@googlegroups.com
And what about the TCK ? The TCK also is under Apache License ?

Antonio Goncalves
Software architect, Java Champion and Pluralsight author

Web site | TwitterLinkedIn | Pluralsight | Paris JUG | Devoxx France

Oliver B. Fischer

Jun 2, 2014, 7:33:51 AM6/2/14
to Antonio Goncalves, Mark Struberg, java-...@googlegroups.com
+1 to use ALv2 for the spec as well as the TCK and RI.

Oliver

Am 02.06.14 10:29, schrieb Antonio Goncalves:

N Oliver B. Fischer
A Schönhauser Allee 64, 10437 Berlin, Deutschland/Germany
P +49 30 44793251
M +49 178 7903538
E o.b.f...@swe-blog.net
S oliver.b.fischer
J oliver.b...@jabber.org

Antonio Goncalves

Jun 2, 2014, 3:11:08 PM6/2/14
to Oliver B. Fischer, Mark Struberg, java-...@googlegroups.com

Kevin Sutter

Jun 3, 2014, 9:26:01 AM6/3/14
to java-...@googlegroups.com, o.b.f...@swe-blog.net, markst...@gmail.com
According to the referenced article, it doesn't look like everybody is in favor of this UPL license.  I'd prefer that we stick with Mark's original suggestion of using Apache v2 License.

Kevin

Antoine Sabot-Durand

Jun 19, 2014, 10:59:25 AM6/19/14
to java-...@googlegroups.com
Regarding CDI and Bean validation we have a dual licensing : ASL v2.0 on Red Hat side and CCDL on Oracle side. I'm not expert enough in IP to understand how that can be sorted out in case of conflict, but perhaps that couldbe solution for Java config too ?

Mark Struberg

Jun 21, 2014, 5:11:16 AM6/21/14
to java-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Antoine!

Please re-check.

Afaik the Spec wording [1] is dual licensed as ALv2 + Java Community Process License [2] (the click-through stuff for the Oracle page). Btw this got changed without noticing or asking the contributing people. So it might not be fully kosher as well. It might be covered by the JSPA though, Idc.

But the Spec API [3] and  Weld itself is licensed as ALv2 only. At least according to all java files I looked at [4]

There is no CDDL mentioned anywhere.

LieGrue,
strub