OpenHFT as IPC for Java

Frank Bradley

Jun 2, 2014, 4:26:20 PM6/2/14
to java-ch...@googlegroups.com

I have been reading that OpenHFT is worthy for those considering to do IPC in Java uses cases.  With both Chronicle and HugeCollections I can see where you can do performant IPC in Java w/ OpenHFT's library in a similar way that  C++ programmers would use OS IPC system calls to do their IPC.  In addition to Chronicle and HugeCollections does OpenHFT provide any IPC Semaphore or any IPC BlockingQueue API?

Peter Lawrey

Jun 2, 2014, 10:10:37 PM6/2/14
to java-ch...@googlegroups.com
OpenHFT's IPC is around 8x faster than the System V style IPCs. The problem with the OS IPCs is that it involve system calls which are dramatically slower than raw memory access.

You can use locks and thread safe constructs in SharedHashMap.  Chronicle is a queue.