Ambari integration and Mpacks

si...@simonellistonball.com

Nov 21, 2018, 12:00:36 PM11/21/18
to JanusGraph developers
Hi,

I'm coming back to looking at a lot more at JanusGraph. I did contribute a tiny script typo fix under the Hortonworks banner ages ago, but am now offering a more sizeable contribution, and hopefully and ongoing one.

The first thing is some additions to the excellent Ambari Service from chupman, which I have wrapped up and slightly tweaked into an Ambari Mpack at https://github.com/simonellistonball/janusgraph-mpack which makes it a little easier to deploy onto a blueprint, or cloudbreak Ambari cluster.

Would there be any interest in taking the mpack work into the Janus project as an extension of the current Ambari service?

Would anyone be interested in collaborating on this, and maybe adding some client and visualisation capabilities?

Hope there are things I can help with,
Simon

Chris Hupman

Nov 21, 2018, 1:44:24 PM11/21/18
to JanusGraph developers
Hi Simon,

Thanks for wrapping it up into an mpack. I've been dragging my feet, but we're already in process to move the ambari plugin under the JanusGraph umbrella, https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph-ambari. I think it would be great if people could just download an mpack from a releases page rather than having to ssh into the ambari server and git clone the repo or build the mpack themselves.

I had plans to work on adding gremlin clients to the plugin after I finished the initial release and I definitely want some kind of visualization and management interface. I was thinking if the janusgraph-python repo adds enough functionality it could be used to make something like a php-myadmin equivalent for janusgraph.

While it's fully dependent on me finishing up the janusgraph-ambari PR I would  like to +1 to having an janusgraph-mpack repo that would be used to create releases so people could consume it easier.

Chris Hupman

Nov 21, 2018, 2:35:26 PM11/21/18
to JanusGraph developers
I updated the janusgraph ambari PR and it's ready for review if anyone has the cycles or interest.

Thanks.

si...@simonellistonball.com

Nov 26, 2018, 7:15:57 AM11/26/18
to JanusGraph developers
Good to hear Chris, and thanks for the pointer. Do you think it would be worth me contributing a PR with my mpack changes to the janusgraph-ambari repo when you've got your bits merged in? Or do you think that would belong in a separate repo, depending on the code in the service based one?

In terms of clients, I was considering something super simple like graphexp (https://github.com/bricaud/graphexp) as a gap filler which works well against a gremlin-server. I was also contemplating spinning up a more complete client project from scratch based on some angular and D3 work I've been doing, and maybe some of the ngx-charts components. That would help with the visualisation and query side, and I wonder if something around say JanusGraph schema management would be a good feature to get closer to the myadmin kind of experience. What do you think? Might knock up a prototype over the next week or so to see what people think.

Simon

Debasish Kanhar

Nov 26, 2018, 1:42:17 PM11/26/18
to JanusGraph developers
Thanks Chris for considering janusgraph=python client for creating something like phpmyadmin. It will be a great addition to JanusGraph and will make like of new time users a lot easier.

My current PR for python clients are still pending. Can you do final review of the same to make sure everything is working on your end since you are only user using it on Mac. Once we merge that, I can spawn off another PR which incorporates features related to Schema Management which will be a very important feature needed to create a phpmyadmin type page for JanusGraph.

Thanks

Chris Hupman

Nov 26, 2018, 5:08:39 PM11/26/18
to janusgr...@googlegroups.com
To debasish I'll try to block out time to do a review tomorrow on janusgraph-python.

To Simon,

For the mpack. I'm on board with making mpack the only supported way to install the plugin and merging your changes into the janusgraph-ambari repository once the initial PR goes in. We can setup a releases page on the github repo with prebuilt versions of the mpack for each of the JanusGraph releases.

I agree with adding in graphexp as a gap fill. It wouldn't be too difficult to switch to something else down the line.

Regards,

Chris Hupman