about CONFIG_X86

charles king

Nov 3, 2015, 9:49:14 AM11/3/15
to jailho...@googlegroups.com
hi,
    This day, I read the code of driver/main.c, and find this code :
> #ifdef CONFIG_X86
>bool jailhouse_use_vmcall;
>static void init_hypercall(void)
>#endif
as I know, the jailhouse does not support the x86 now, why use this macro? Or some day the jailhouse will support the x86?

best regards
from Xuguo Wang

Ralf Ramsauer

Nov 3, 2015, 10:04:25 AM11/3/15
to jailho...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
This #ifdef is necessary to differentiate between virtualization technologies for X86 platforms.  Intel and AMD use vmcall resp. vmmcall but both are X86. init_hypercall initializes a boolean value which allows to differentiate between both.

This differentiation is only necessary for X86 (and e.g. not for ARM) and does not imply, that jailhouse might be available for X86.

  Ralf

best regards
from Xuguo Wang

Ralf Ramsauer
GPG: 0x8F10049B

Jan Kiszka

Nov 3, 2015, 12:29:43 PM11/3/15
to Ralf Ramsauer, jailho...@googlegroups.com, Xuguo Wang
On 2015-11-03 16:04, Ralf Ramsauer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 11/03/2015 03:49 PM, charles king wrote:
>> hi,
>> This day, I read the code of driver/main.c, and find this code :
>> > #ifdef CONFIG_X86
>> >bool jailhouse_use_vmcall;
>> >static void init_hypercall(void)
>> >#endif
>> as I know, the jailhouse does not support the x86 now, why use this
>> macro? Or some day the jailhouse will support the x86?
> This #ifdef is necessary to differentiate between virtualization
> technologies for X86 platforms. Intel and AMD use vmcall resp. vmmcall
> but both are X86. init_hypercall initializes a boolean value which
> allows to differentiate between both.
>
> This differentiation is only necessary for X86 (and e.g. not for ARM)
> and does not imply, that jailhouse might be available for X86.

And Jailhouse does run on x86, of course. 64-bit only, but that's hardly
a restriction anymore.

Jan

PS: reply-to-all, Ralf - second warning ;)

--
Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RTC ITP SES-DE