Fwd: Call for mentors and project ideas for Google Summer of Code 2016

Jan Kiszka

Jan 25, 2016, 1:25:59 PM1/25/16
to Jailhouse
Hi all,

I chatted with Stefan last summer, and he agreed that QEMU would also
act as an umbrella for the Jailhouse project if we want to run a GSoC
project. So: proposals welcome, from the core team as well as from
potentially listening candidates! If you do it directly in the wiki,
please drop a note here.

Jan

--
Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RDA ITP SES-DE
Call for mentors and project ideas for Google Summer of Code 2016.eml

Jan Kiszka

Feb 10, 2016, 6:19:04 AM2/10/16
to Jailhouse
On 2016-01-25 19:25, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I chatted with Stefan last summer, and he agreed that QEMU would also
> act as an umbrella for the Jailhouse project if we want to run a GSoC
> project. So: proposals welcome, from the core team as well as from
> potentially listening candidates! If you do it directly in the wiki,
> please drop a note here.

I'm currently preparing this proposal and will push it to the project
wiki page soon - comments welcome at any time!

Jan

=== Enhanced Config Generator ===

'''Summary:''' Goal of this project is to improve the Jailhouse config
generator so that it can provide non-root cell configurations and
validate them against a system setup.

Jailhouse is a Linux-based static partitioning hypervisor. It runs both
on real hardware as well as inside QEMU/KVM, primarily for testing and
evaluation purposes. Jailhouse is configured via two types of
configuration files: system configurations that describe both the
hypervisor as well as the so-called root cell which is the Linux that
booted the system. Additional partitions, non-root cells, are described
via cell configurations. While we already have a generator tool for the
former, written in Python, creating non-root cells remains a manual,
error-prone task so far.

In this project, the config generator shall be extended to derive
non-root cell configs for a specific system. Inputs will be the
corresponding system configuration and cell parameters the user has to
provide such as target CPU set, memory size and a set of devices. The
command could look like this:

'''
jailhouse config cell SYSCONFIG CELLCONFIG { -c | --cpus } CPUSET
{ -m | --mem } MEMSIZE [-p | --pci PCIDEVICE]
'''

Moreover, we need better analysis for configuration sets. The user
should be able to perform basic consistency checks on a given set of
system and cell configurations such as

* Do all configuration records conform the format requirements
(alignment rules, only valid flags, consistent internal references like
from PCI devices to capabilities etc.)?
* Are resources assigned multiple times?
* Do all resources exist in the system (validate against what Linux
reports)?
* ...

The command for this could look like the following:

'''
jailhouse config validate [-r | --root ROOT] SYSCONFIG [CELLCONFIG] ...
'''

The results of this projects may eventually also help to improve the
manageability of Jailhouse via libvirt
([[http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.libvirt/122053]]).

'''Links:'''
* [[https://github.com/siemens/jailhouse]]

'''Details:'''
* Skill level: intermediate
* Language: Python, C
* Mentor: jan.k...@web.de
* Suggested by: Jan Kiszka--

Jan Kiszka

Feb 10, 2016, 6:50:25 AM2/10/16
to Jailhouse
On 2016-02-10 12:19, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> On 2016-01-25 19:25, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I chatted with Stefan last summer, and he agreed that QEMU would also
>> act as an umbrella for the Jailhouse project if we want to run a GSoC
>> project. So: proposals welcome, from the core team as well as from
>> potentially listening candidates! If you do it directly in the wiki,
>> please drop a note here.
>>

> I'm currently preparing this proposal and will push it to the project
> wiki page soon - comments welcome at any time!

Done: http://wiki.qemu.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2016#Jailhouse_Projects

Jan

Henning Schild

Feb 16, 2016, 5:55:15 AM2/16/16
to Jan Kiszka, Jailhouse
Saw it too late but reading the proposal i have nothing to add and
agree that such an extension of the configuration generator is a good
idea. And it seems to be a manageable task for so GSoC assignment.

Henning