week 14

Coach Cane

Oct 15, 2012, 11:36:54 AM10/15/12
to jackrabbit-sports---nyc...@googlegroups.com
Let the taper begin. The hard work is over now.  From here on in,
we begin the taper.  This week we'll decrease your weekly mileage by
about 25%, but please keep the same intensity as before.  After that
we'll continue to decrease your training volume, but also back off on
the intensity.  We do this in order to have the ideal balance between
making sure you're rested and recovered for race day, while ensuring
that you don't lose any conditioning during the taper.  Use this time
to rest, recover, and get mentally ready. *** Do not try to make up for
lost ground***.  Even if you're not 100% happy with your current
conditioning and training, it's too late to try to improve it without
negatively impacting race day. Overdoing it now will hurt your race
performance - not help it.

Trust your training, trust the taper, and enjoy the recovery.

Tuesday you'll do an easy jog, starting out south, looping around
to the east side, and then up to the reservoir, entering at Engineer's gate at 90th St.  Once you're on the rez,
do one lap at half marathon race pace and then exit the reservoir where
you entered, and do an easy jog back. (the 9:00/mile and faster folks will retract their steps back, the
9+ folks will cut across the transverse on the way back.)

Saturday we're down to 14-16 miles. (Those with training paces 11:00 or slower will do 14 in order to
avoid being on your feet for too long) .  Please keep the pace to goal
marathon + :15-45/mile.  No faster even if it feels like a walk in
the park.  (Compared to the last couple of weeks, it probably will.)
(Those who've trained with us in the past know that this is usually the week that we do Queensboro Bridge
repeats. Though I love that workout and the psychological value, the bridge has become too crowded over
the last few years and has become dangerous for groups of runners. If any of you want to jog over there on Thursday
as part of your training, I'd encourage that.)  Though it won't give the course preview that the QB repeats would, running the Harlem Hill loop
will still do the trick for the training, so that's where we'll keep you this week. (Exact details will follow.)

Here's an outline of your full week:
M: rest
T: group
W: easy 3-5, preferably on soft surface.  x-training is acceptable
Th: easy 4-6.  Nothing faster than MGP, but QB hill (2.82 miles round trip) as part of the run is acceptable.
F: rest.
S: group
Su: easy 3-4 mile recovery jog, preferably on soft surface.
If you're feeling a little achy or tired and want to
substitute one or both of these runs with a deep water run of
comparable time and intensity, that's absolutely fine.

Asi i mentioned, for now there's no need to decrease the pace of your
runs just yet. Nor is there any need to change your diet.  Just continue to
eat a healthy diet, rich is complex carbohydrates, and stay well
hydrated. We'll talk some more over the next couple of weeks about
race tactics, course management, logistics, and everything else you'll need
to know.

See you tomorrow night.