week 11

Coach Cane

Sep 24, 2012, 10:36:58 AM9/24/12
to jackrabbit-sports---nyc...@googlegroups.com
Ladies & Gentlemen:

I know that some of you are starting to really feel the challenge of
all this training, but we're just three weeks from the taper, so
let's really focus.Here's the plan for the week.

On Tuesday you'll do a counterclockwise
5.14 mile loop, cutting across the 102nd Street transverse.  Your
goal is to run the entire run at your goal marathon pace.  Not faster even
if it feels easy.  We want to start to get your brain and body
acclimated to that pace.  Obviously the pace will vary throughout the
loop due to the terrain changes, but your overall time should reflect
your goal marathon pace. We'll send the slowest groups first and the fastest groups
so that you get to experience what it's like when someone passes you and you have to maintain *your* pace.
This workout won't be as physically challenging as some others may have been, but i want you to really
"tune in" to your body and its cues. Pace at your MGP - no one else's.  Don't trust the other runners, the pacers, anyone.
They won't be out there on race day to set the pace (and even if they are, I don't want you to rely on them), so really try to focus.

Saturday you're up to 20 miles.  (18 if you're behind on the long runs and haven't done more than 16 to date.)  We'll keep the party
in Central Park this time, but your next 20 will venture out. It'll be two upper 5 mile loops and two lower 5 mile loops. We'll have an extra
pace group as well as some support out there for you this week.

In addition to the group runs, here's how the rest of your week
should
shape up:
M: rest
T: group
W: easy 3-5, preferably on soft surface.  x-training is acceptable
Th: easy 4-6.  Nothing hard today, as I want you rested and fresh on
Saturday
F: rest.  Eat well, sleep well, relax.  Just don't work out.
S: group
Su: easy 2-4 mile recovery jog, preferably on soft surface.